GDT: Game 8: Columbus vs. Vancouver | 10/20 6PM EDT

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Same can't be said for Wiz, I'm not sure why he's not a bigger whipping boy around here. He's frankly been worthless this year.

Well we could publicly flog Wiz for his frequent transgressions or we could fully get on board JMFJ's righteous journey to reach -82 for the season.

I suppose you could try and back both, but I've only got the time and energy to do one or the other.

Wiz has 4 assists and is a -4, JMFJ is a -8. Let's see if we can get Wiz's assists and minus total to be greater than JMFJ's minus total for the season!

bizzz*

didn't get the defensive pairing roulette last night....started at Wiz/Murray, JJ/Savard, Prout/Tyutin...by 2nd period, became JJ/Wiz, Tyutin/Murray, Savard/Prout...and in the 3rd it had changed again...
I also noticed that Richards tried almost every possible combination of defensive pairings.This season he was very conservative with his lefties/righties assignments, but last night he tried it all. Prout had at few shifts on the left side with Wiz and Savard. Also I saw Tyutin playing on the right side for the first time ever.

bizzz*

I just checked Joey's assignments. 80% of his time on the ice he's spent facing Henrik Sedin. Johansen shut him down and produced some offense. The kid's playing some high quality hockey.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The entire defense struggled in the first, but it carries over to the forwards as well. When you can not make a clean break out of your zone and transition to offense, bad things happen. I don't think its as much a Wiz or a JJ thing, as much as its systemic problem that has been more apparent some games than in others.

It looks like adjustments were made after the first period, hopefully the way we played the 3rd carries over to Tuesday night.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Meh. Struggling is struggling. We can debate to what degree. He hasn't regressed to "sucks", although he has cost us more points than he has stole for us.

The good news is that his issues are very correctable. However it is also safe to say he is not coming close to justifying that 5.6 million.

Not sure how much more there is to say about last nights game.

I'm not saying he's not off his game, but we're about a month or so of hockey away from the time when we can meaningfully talk about how much he should be paid. Goalies are always up and down, you need to give him a longer shot. Right now you can say Carey Price is earning his money and Henrik Lundqvist isn't, but 7 games can only say so much.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The entire defense struggled in the first, but it carries over to the forwards as well. When you can not make a clean break out of your zone and transition to offense, bad things happen. I don't think its as much a Wiz or a JJ thing, as much as its systemic problem that has been more apparent some games than in others.

It looks like adjustments were made after the first period, hopefully the way we played the 3rd carries over to Tuesday night.

I agree to an extent that our d-zone turnover problem is systemic, but I'm seeing Wiz turn the puck over 9 times out of 10 in a situation that Murray can handle most of the time. There's a lot of variation across our defencemen in turnover propensity.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I just checked Joey's assignments. 80% of his time on the ice he's spent facing Henrik Sedin. Johansen shut him down and produced some offense. The kid's playing some high quality hockey.

4 pts in his last 3 games and around a 55% at the dpt

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Some Vancouver fans were saying that Johansen is a bust because he looks like a 3rd line center. It was quite funny.

Well no duh he looks like a 3rd line center, that's how he's being used! And he's excelling at it too. Oh and he's only 22 years old.

"Herp-a-derp I'm an uneducated hockey fan who thinks I know about the sport because of the country I'm from. Oh, by the way, I haven't watched a CBJ game in years but here's my opinion of Fedor Tyutin... BLERGH!" - My impression of those people.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

good to know. Thanks!

Encouraging stuff regarding Joey

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Turns out Nick's new baby has a heart condition per PR. I can't imagine how scary that must've been and I'm so happy to hear that she's doing better.

As the happy papa of a 13 month old daughter my heart goes out to the Folignos. I was concerned about his absence. Good to know she's home now :)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

this year, unlike last year, ryjo has been excellent possession-wise. one of the best players on jackets, despite getting lots of d zone starts. would like to see a bit more intensity from him but that doesn't seem to be his game. seems to progress and work anyway.

bizzz*

Well, Vancouver fans can call Joey however they want. He outnumbered and outplayed their superstar sister Henrietta at every aspect of the game.

Face-offs between them: Joey wins 6-4.
Hits: Joey wins 3-0.
Takeaways: Joey wins 1-0.
Plus/minus: Joey +2, H.Sedin -2.

PS. I dislike H.Sedin after that cheap shot when he hit Bob's facemask with his stick last year and didn't get even 2 minutes for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Well, Vancouver fans can call Joey however they want. He outnumbered and outplayed their superstar sister Henrietta at every aspect of the game.

Face-offs between them: Joey wins 6-4.
Hits: Joey wins 3-0.
Takeaways: Joey wins 1-0.
Plus/minus: Joey +2, H.Sedin -2.

PS. I dislike H.Sedin after that cheap shot when he hit Bob's facemask with his stick last year and didn't get even 2 minutes for that.

It must've been on a follow through of his shot right? :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
this year, unlike last year, ryjo has been excellent possession-wise. one of the best players on jackets, despite getting lots of d zone starts. would like to see a bit more intensity from him but that doesn't seem to be his game. seems to progress and work anyway.

What's awesome about RyJo is that he is the total package when he plays like he did last night: Lindrosesque Beastmode. I'd say he was intense.

What's frustrating about RyJo is that he won't do that again for another two weeks. (Hoping this changes).

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
Just knew they were going to win when it was announed Prout was going to play.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It must be all that alcohol finally coursing through his system that is bringing out his talents.

Legal drinking age in his home province is 19, so I'm sure the Ohio drinking age hasn't stopped him. Actually no one in Ohio abides by that law anyways.:laugh:

Johansen strikes me as a kid who's not particularly driven or self aware. He's had people telling him for years about his awesome talents but he won't be a great player until he really develops that inner drive to be the best.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Johansen strikes me as a kid who's not particularly driven or self aware. He's had people telling him for years about his awesome talents but he won't be a great player until he really develops that inner drive to be the best.

Your first point, about his drive, could be true, I guess; but I question the second. Didn't he kind of come out of nowhere in his draft year after having grown quite a bit in the off-season? I didn't think he had been that highly touted prior to that year, but I could be wrong.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Just a minor correction, Johansen just turned 21 this past July.

You're right. What's worse is I even looked it up last night and told my friend Johansen is only a year and a few months older than Murray.

major major said:
Legal drinking age in his home province is 19, so I'm sure the Ohio drinking age hasn't stopped him. Actually no one in Ohio abides by that law anyways.

Funny story about that, my freshman year of college a dorm-mate of mine got in trouble for having pictures of himself holding an alcoholic beverage on his facebook page. Thing is, the pictures were taken in Sweden where he is from and where he was of legal age to imbibe. Despite this fact, he still had to meet with the dean of students and was issued a warning.

As for Johansen's drive, I think I might agree. The Jackets have to walk a fine line between getting him to have confidence but not so much as he gets full of himself.

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
You're right. What's worse is I even looked it up last night and told my friend Johansen is only a year and a few months older than Murray.

Funny story about that, my freshman year of college a dorm-mate of mine got in trouble for having pictures of himself holding an alcoholic beverage on his facebook page. Thing is, the pictures were taken in Sweden where he is from and where he was of legal age to imbibe. Despite this fact, he still had to meet with the dean of students and was issued a warning.

As for Johansen's drive, I think I might agree. The Jackets have to walk a fine line between getting him to have confidence but not so much as he gets full of himself.

:laugh: My freshman year we only had BBS systems....before Gore invented the internet. I'm old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad