GDT: Game 8: Blackhawks @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ+

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Domingue had 1 definitely bad goal. One iffy one. He also had a handful of huge saves. I'd say he was "not too bad". Connauton was a trainwreck. He put Schenn in a lot of trouble often. Luke will be better when we give him Goligoski.

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Chychrun-Demers
Goligoski-Schenn

Goligoski makes really shitty decisions. So he can't play with Demers. He also can't play with a guy who is as slow as Schenn. Demers plays well with a babysitter (like Vlasic in SJ), so I'd put him with Hjalmarsson.

OEL - Goligoski
Hjalmarsson - Demers
Chychrun - Clendening.
Schenn

Schenn puts himself in trouble a lot of the time as well. He makes poor decisions with the puck... if he even makes one before a forward is upon him. Teams don't respect his ability to pass at all because it doesn't exist. He is the one most guilty of mindless clears and backhand swats. He really shouldn't be an everyday player.

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How about adding a new starting goalie? Maybe a rock solid young D that can eat minutes and push Goligoski down the lineup and Connauton out of it? Maybe a super slick young scoring forward that could pot 20 goals for us this season? I have a feeling Chayka will manage to get us all three in the next few weeks.

Dream on. Our starting goalie is hurt, we have Chick and Perlini coming back soon. Rebuilding is painful and not for the faint of heart. If you want a successful rebuild you have to remain patience not starting to trade at the first sign of adversity.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'd give Clendening another game. He can gladly replace Schenn. Desperately need Chychrun back to replace KConn, too. Those two alone have made some incredibly dumb decisions with and without the puck.
I think one of Demers or kconn need to sit. Clendening wasn't bad when he got some games I thought.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I get some key guys will be returning but still I think Chayka has to do something to stem the bleeding. Does not have to be a blockbuster for Duchesne or even adding a player like Galchenyuk but something...a gritty vet like Winnik would help in the short term.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I get some key guys will be returning but still I think Chayka has to do something to stem the bleeding. Does not have to be a blockbuster for Duchesne or even adding a player like Galchenyuk but something...a gritty vet like Winnik would help in the short term.

Winnik? We already have complaints about the bottom-six forwards around here, why add another one?

At this point there's nothing for it but to stick with what we've got and hope things turn around. There are no quick patches we can apply that will fix this.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We need skill to play this system. If they add average vets it won't work, just like it hasn't with the waiver fodder they've brought up so far. I say stay the course, bring up Strome, get Perlini and Chychrun healthy and look to call up guys like Merkley and Wood when they're ready. If they do anything, it should be to upgrade someone like Demers, Goligoski or Schenn on D but since Goligoski has the no trade strangle hold and nobody will want the other two, I doubt anything is going to happen from outside the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It was a pass to Demers and he whiffed on the shot. That's how I saw it and how Tocchet saw it. You want him to go for that shot, but he can't bounce it off someone back to their forwards.
I believe I heard something on a post game presser that it was Richardson.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Winnik? We already have complaints about the bottom-six forwards around here, why add another one?

At this point there's nothing for it but to stick with what we've got and hope things turn around. There are no quick patches we can apply that will fix this.
I did not mean it had to be Winnik. Just a good skating, solid, defensively sound veteran that can help out this year.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
At least the chaos on the ice that I had so accurately described from the first game seems to be lessening. It was a great game last night or so I thought. The Yotes were in it until the very end. There actually was a lot of positives yesterday and sure hope it works out for us for the future.
13,777 fans of which Id estimate of course 13,500 were Hawks fans.
I intentionally hung out in Lot G, from noon on and the arena staff let in a Hawks fan to set up his little tent and shrine to the Blackhawks, then locked the gate back up so we STH Yotes fans couldn't get in.
And that is commentary on the state of the franchise.
The first 10 cars full of Hawks fans, all 10, weren't "visitors" from another state, they ALL had Arizona license plates...people are always arguing that they come from somewhere else...
Its an interesting sociology class, watching and studying the fan bases of pro sports teams.
First of all before ANYTHING else is said, and as many on this board say, the team has gotta win...I doubt that there is any NHL city that will be successful business wise doing what the YOTES are doing...bottom line.
If we were more successful it would have been better for me last night because we would have had more in attendance and that would have meant more in the 50/50 pot which for the second time in 5 years.....I won.

Reactions: gorsk11

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The first 10 cars full of Hawks fans, all 10, weren't "visitors" from another state, they ALL had Arizona license plates...people are always arguing that they come from somewhere else...
I haven't seen many arguments saying they come from somewhere else. They're usually either from that city, but live here now without supporting the local team at all, because reasons, or they change teams every two or three years with some flimsy relation or excuse (I really like Chicago dogs, new York pizza, Pittsburgh is yellow and I like yellow). All of that would be fine if they weren't usually obnoxious douchebags though, but they are. Red wing games used to be unbearable because of that same group, but when I went last week it was fine. That entire group of shit heads are now blackhawk, or maybe penguin fans now.

Winning would probably convert most of the former group, as long the yotes aren't playing their home team, but the latter would only jump ship if we win at least one cup, and even then they'll only be in for as long as we're champion level. We can't realistically hope to convert that group, we need to win to get the out of towners, and imo more importantly the huge amount of sports fans who have never seen a hockey game.

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
I haven't seen many arguments saying they come from somewhere else. They're usually either from that city, but live here now without supporting the local team at all, because reasons, or they change teams every two or three years with some flimsy relation or excuse (I really like Chicago dogs, new York pizza, Pittsburgh is yellow and I like yellow). All of that would be fine if they weren't usually obnoxious *****ebags though, but they are. Red wing games used to be unbearable because of that same group, but when I went last week it was fine. That entire group of **** heads are now blackhawk, or maybe penguin fans now.

Winning would probably convert most of the former group, as long the yotes aren't playing their home team, but the latter would only jump ship if we win at least one cup, and even then they'll only be in for as long as we're champion level. We can't realistically hope to convert that group, we need to win to get the out of towners, and imo more importantly the huge amount of sports fans who have never seen a hockey game.

Actually they weren't bad last night - probably because they were't slaughtering us. Most generally they are dickheads.
That being said I have gone to Yotes games in Pittsburgh and have been treated quite well, but when they are shutting us out it's easy to play nice. Last year in Nashville everyone was very nice to us and we were actually in that game.
I'm saying this because I'm of the thought that "if you're not a dick, I won't be a dick to you. Start with me then there will be issues."
Last season we had some Jets fans behind us for a game with them. Immediately started "look how empty this place is" comments and how we didn't deserve a team. Understand you're still bitter about losing your original team to us. Again, once we jumped out to a 4-0 lead, they started playing nice and were chatty cathy with us from that point on.

I don't understand why they didn't let the STH into the lot with the shithawk fans, maybe didn't want trouble before game started. I have noticed that us STH haven't been treated any better than anyone else, which has me rethinking on getting tickets next year. If I can get tickets on a game-by-game basis without the price of the season tickets why not.

Side Note - watch the post game interview by Walsh with Hjalmarsson. Is it me or does Hjalmarsson look at Walsh as wants to say "WTF kind of question is that?"

Reactions: gorsk11

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Actually they weren't bad last night - probably because they were't slaughtering us. Most generally they are ********s.
That being said I have gone to Yotes games in Pittsburgh and have been treated quite well, but when they are shutting us out it's easy to play nice. Last year in Nashville everyone was very nice to us and we were actually in that game.
I'm saying this because I'm of the thought that "if you're not a dick, I won't be a dick to you. Start with me then there will be issues."
Last season we had some Jets fans behind us for a game with them. Immediately started "look how empty this place is" comments and how we didn't deserve a team. Understand you're still bitter about losing your original team to us. Again, once we jumped out to a 4-0 lead, they started playing nice and were chatty cathy with us from that point on.

I don't understand why they didn't let the STH into the lot with the ****hawk fans, maybe didn't want trouble before game started. I have noticed that us STH haven't been treated any better than anyone else, which has me rethinking on getting tickets next year. If I can get tickets on a game-by-game basis without the price of the season tickets why not.

Side Note - watch the post game interview by Walsh with Hjalmarsson. Is it me or does Hjalmarsson look at Walsh as wants to say "WTF kind of question is that?"
Regarding the bolded: I'm sure in Chicago they're fine too. I'm not saying all fans of those teams are dbags, but that the type of person that hops from team to team also seems to be the type to be an obnoxious a hole. It's not really their fan base, it's just the bandwagon dicks that give them a bad name. That's the only way I can really explain how the team with the douchiest fans seems to change every few years magically, and that new team also has won several cups recently. For the most part "if you're not a dick, I won't be a dick to you. Start with me then there will be issues." is very true.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It was a pass to Demers and he whiffed on the shot. That's how I saw it and how Tocchet saw it. You want him to go for that shot, but he can't bounce it off someone back to their forwards.

Fair enough. Most of the criticism I was reading gave the impression he shouldn’t have been there to begin with and just stayed home.

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
Regarding the bolded: I'm sure in Chicago they're fine too. I'm not saying all fans of those teams are dbags, but that the type of person that hops from team to team also seems to be the type to be an obnoxious a hole. It's not really their fan base, it's just the bandwagon dicks that give them a bad name. That's the only way I can really explain how the team with the *****iest fans seems to change every few years magically, and that new team also has won several cups recently. For the most part "if you're not a dick, I won't be a dick to you. Start with me then there will be issues." is very true.

I will admit that I am a Pittsburgh Penguins fan and was before moving to Arizona. Once I moved here the Coyotes became my team and the Penguins my second team. When we play the Pens, I have a Penguins shirt on under my Coyotes jersey and Penguins socks on. I will pull for my Coyotes, but am not obnoxious when I go to road games. I am for treating the home team with respect since you are in their house.

And it just seems that all the shithawks fans come into the arena with immediate attitudes.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I will admit that I am a Pittsburgh Penguins fan and was before moving to Arizona. Once I moved here the Coyotes became my team and the Penguins my second team. When we play the Pens, I have a Penguins shirt on under my Coyotes jersey and Penguins socks on. I will pull for my Coyotes, but am not obnoxious when I go to road games. I am for treating the home team with respect since you are in their house.

And it just seems that all the ****hawks fans come into the arena with immediate attitudes.
Sadly you're the exception, not the rule lol.

I'm sure that's the case with the hawk fans, I'm just saying I wouldn't even necessarily label them as blackhawk fans since those dicks will drop them in a heartbeat if they stop making playoff runs.

Reactions: kbay

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
At least the chaos on the ice that I had so accurately described from the first game seems to be lessening. It was a great game last night or so I thought. The Yotes were in it until the very end. There actually was a lot of positives yesterday and sure hope it works out for us for the future.
Agreed, there is more structure - credit the coaching staff for adjusting - even if the initial plan was pure insanity.
13,777 fans of which Id estimate of course 13,500 were Hawks fans.
Exaggeration of huge degree here, yes we were outnumbered, but be realistic.
I intentionally hung out in Lot G, from noon on and the arena staff let in a Hawks fan to set up his little tent and shrine to the Blackhawks, then locked the gate back up so we STH Yotes fans couldn't get in.
This is quite hard to believe. How is it you were hanging out in lot G, if they did not let you in? Did you park across the street and stand there watching the Hawk fans being granted entrance? Careful with all your silly bashing of the parking attendants, or i'll let 'em know you're the guy with the blue Fiesta. :naughty:
And that is commentary on the state of the franchise.

First of all before ANYTHING else is said, and as many on this board say, the team has gotta win...I doubt that there is any NHL city that will be successful business wise doing what the YOTES are doing...bottom line.
Improving? I guess you'd need to expand as to just what it is that they're doing.
If we were more successful it would have been better for me last night because we would have had more in attendance and that would have meant more in the 50/50 pot which for the second time in 5 years.....I won.
Doesn't this contradict the first sentence of your previous paragraph?

Please see bolded responses in expanded view.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Exactly. The players have to dig deep and get out of this funk.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Exactly. The players have to dig deep and get out of this funk.

The communists are fond of their 5 yr plans. I think we, and the organization, need to think of this as a 3 year plan.

Year 1 : Develop the youth and improve team performance.
Year 2: Playoffs
Year 3: Win cup

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fair enough. Most of the criticism I was reading gave the impression he shouldn’t have been there to begin with and just stayed home.

Why shouldn't he be there? That was a set play and if Demers got all the wood on it we wouldn't be talking about it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Demers does his ****ing job and doesn't fan on that shot completely (or at least get it deep) and Kane doesn't break the other way. The D are constantly inflicting wounds upon the team that aren't necessary.

You do know that players fan on shots. It was an unfortunate play with good intentions.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Goligoski makes really ****ty decisions. So he can't play with Demers. He also can't play with a guy who is as slow as Schenn. Demers plays well with a babysitter (like Vlasic in SJ), so I'd put him with Hjalmarsson.

OEL - Goligoski
Hjalmarsson - Demers
Chychrun - Clendening.
Schenn

Schenn puts himself in trouble a lot of the time as well. He makes poor decisions with the puck... if he even makes one before a forward is upon him. Teams don't respect his ability to pass at all because it doesn't exist. He is the one most guilty of mindless clears and backhand swats. He really shouldn't be an everyday player.
I agree with nearly all of this except I'd say Schenn is at worst the third worst mindless swatter. Goligoski is in the mindless swats hall of fame and while Demers has been much better in this area the last few games but there's a lot of ground to make up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree with nearly all of this except I'd say Schenn is at worst the third worst mindless swatter. Goligoski is in the mindless swats hall of fame and while Demers has been much better in this area the last few games but there's a lot of ground to make up.

The vets are slowly coming out of their funk. We are a much better team than our record shows. I think.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad