GDT: Game 76: Red Wings vs rags 7:00 pm et 4/5/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Except he didn't overmanage it or unbalance the other lines to the point that they got so tired they couldn't get the job done.
I'm talking about doing it longterm not just one game. Don't keep doing for the rest of the season. The lines for tonight seem more balanced. Sprong help rounding out the 4th line. Should be able to roll 4 lines and get scoring from each line.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
A regulation loss by Philly tonight and a Caps loss in regulation along with a Red Wing win will be the Isles in the 3rd spot and the Wings in the second wild card spot.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It matters a lot for defenseman (forwards not so much). Being on your forehand when defending to the outside, when on the half wall or in the corner in a puck battle, when breaking the puck out and transitioning... you want lefties on the left side and righties on the right side because it gives them the best chance to defend and start the transition game. Some people don't like to hear this, but they've never played hockey, soooo. The margin of error at the NHL level is so small, you can't really afford to handcuff your defensemen by putting them on the opposite side if you can help it.

Now, yes, in some rare cases a guy will actually be as good on his off-hand in the defensive and neutral zones (I always think of Trevor Daley here), and in other cases you can shoehorn an offensive defenseman who sucks at defending either way onto his off-side (Ghost) because it is actually an advantage to be on your off-hand in the offensive zone with possession. But most of the time when dmen in the NHL play their off-side it's simply because of numbers.... there are a lot more lefties than righties in hockey. Some lefties are going to have to play the right side.
Hey now, I play low level beer league and switch sides that I'm playing multiple per game without noticing a difference, so I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about here.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm tempted to take the Rangers, Sabres, and Hurricanes in a moneyline parlay. None of these eastern WC race teams want to take a hold.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hey now, I play low level beer league and switch sides that I'm playing multiple per game without noticing a difference, so I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about here.
Haha, for real. I move around too. And because we often have 8 or 9 guys show up, we're rolling with 3 dmen, and so basically switching sides every shift anyway.

We have a semifinal game tonight, and.... checks Benchapp.... yep, 8 checked in plus 1 maybe :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: izlez

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I hope Edvinsson doesn't decide to make his fisticuffs debut tonight.

That Rempe seems to fight every game -- kid's going to end up with CTE even if he keeps winning most of them.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Just fricking ignore Rempe. Play hockey. If he wants to clown around trying to start shit, let him. Doesn't mean we have to indulge him.
Lol this shows how other teams fans are mistaken re him, not seeing the games.
It's actually the other way around, he wants to play minutes, he doesn't seek to start any beef at all.

• Wow
Reactions: Realgud

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
"The motto of the U.S. Army Rangers is "Rangers lead the way!", and if you look at the current NHL standings, the New York Rangers are indeed leading the way in first place with 106 points. The Red Wings are a whopping 24 points behind them but they're not playing in that rarifed "open in the slot" air these days anyway. Instead they are mucking it up along the boards with 4 - count 'em, 4 - other Eastern Conference teams hoping to take the lead into the contest for the second wild card playoff spot."

- Plausible Keats

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's actually the other way around, he wants to play minutes, he doesn't seek to start any beef at all.
I'm sure that a kid who's listed at 6'7" and 241lbs, with 2 points and 69 penalty minutes in 14 games, is entirely innocent in every encounter. Especially when he described the 10-player brawl at the start of the game against New Jersey by saying, "That was a banger."

If you're going to post on another team's board, at least keep the homerism to a dull roar.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I'm talking about doing it longterm not just one game. Don't keep doing for the rest of the season. The lines for tonight seem more balanced. Sprong help rounding out the 4th line. Should be able to roll 4 lines and get scoring from each line.

Fair enough. The Wings have rolled four lines and all three pairs almost all year, more so than most teams. Production has been spread out too. This would be a good game for Sprong to pot one.

Reactions: theYman

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I'm sure that a kid who's listed at 6'7" and 241lbs, with 2 points and 69 penalty minutes in 14 games, is entirely innocent in every encounter. Especially when he described the 10-player brawl at the start of the game against New Jersey by saying, "That was a banger."

If you're going to post on another team's board, at least keep the homerism to a dull roar.
I've said what I've said. You're just saying you're judging on the stereotype and that's exactly what I'm telling you is wrong. As in not true. THe brawl? What it has to do with anything? He was "supposed" to fight McDermatits and he did. The rest was circumstantial and the ejections by the officials were dumb - they've applied the law by the letter and didn't even hide it.

His only "sin" in the NHL is that elbow that was a chicken wing (still an elbow to the head no denying it and a chicken wing from a guy of his size is brutal anyway). He's learned from it. He's got 4 instead of what would have been a fair 2 because DOPS.

But whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS He's 6'8" actually.

PPS I don't feel the need to be a homer on a foreign board. Like none whatsoever. Hope for an entertaining game, I'll have to get up at 4 am for it.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I've said what I've said. You're just saying you're judging on the stereotype and that's exactly what I'm telling you is wrong. As in not true. THe brawl? What it has to do with anything? He was "supposed" to fight McDermatits and he did. The rest was circumstantial and the ejections by the officials were dumb - they've applied the law by the letter and didn't even hide it.

His only "sin" in the NHL is that elbow that was a chicken wing (still an elbow to the head no denying it and a chicken wing from a guy of his size is brutal anyway). He's learned from it. He's got 4 instead of what would have been a fair 2 because DOPS.

But whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS He's 6'8" actually.

PPS I don't feel the need to be a homer on a foreign board. Like none whatsoever. Hope for an entertaining game, I'll have to get up at 4 am for it.
A stereotype would be saying that all players his size are goons, or that any player who drops the gloves is a goon. This is a player who constantly talks about his physical play and has more ejections (3) than points (2).

I also hope for an entertaining game. Which implies a lack of circumstances that could get somebody tossed out, since I happen to find that style of play distinctly un-entertaining.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I got money riding on Ed scoring a goal tonight. I hope the big kid gets one.

Just fricking ignore Rempe. Play hockey. If he wants to clown around trying to start shit, let him. Doesn't mean we have to indulge him.
I'm not sure if they're dressing him, according to my buddy who's a Rags fan.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't want him to jump into a hit on one of our players in his 6-7 mins of offensive zone start ice time.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I got money riding on Ed scoring a goal tonight. I hope the big kid gets one.

I'm not sure if they're dressing him, according to my buddy who's a Rags fan.
They really don't need to play Rempe against the softest team in the league, that can only score on power plays. Makes more sense for them to put in someone that can score and not take penalties.

I'm gonna head out to a bar, not watching the game. Good luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad