GDT: Game 76: Canucks @ Stars | Sunday, March 25th | 6:00pm CT | 3.2% chance edition

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
6 more games left in the Kari Lehtonen era

Hopefully 6 more games in the Ken Hitchcock era

I’d be fine with 6 more games in the Jim Nill era

What an embarrassing way to finish the season with Playoffs on the Line. Hitchcock’s been a disaster.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The teams below the Stars are too far back to pick up too many draft spaces.

I can see it now. We don' resign Kari, and he will rebound somewhere, like Niemi in MTL. LOL

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
I'd keep Kari. He's a better backup then any we'll likely get, and he also seems eager to stay at a significantly lower pay rate. Seems best to keep him as the backup until Oettinger, Point, or whoever is read to takeover.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I'd keep Kari. He's a better backup then any we'll likely get, and he also seems eager to stay at a significantly lower pay rate. Seems best to keep him as the backup until Oettinger, Point, or whoever is read to takeover.

I would have thought so before the slump. But, you have to remember there was some consideration to dumping Kari after the STL playoff game 7 a few years ago, in the name of team confidence in him, and more thought to dumping both he and Anti last year. Contract issues kept him here, but now, he will be a UFA.

Will the team confidence be high in Kari as he backstopped them to a season killing 8 game losing skid? Granted, not all his fault, but the weak third periods where they had a chance are a recurring theme.

My guess is Nill will find a one or two year backup from the ranks of similarly demoted starting goaltenders or journeymen back ups for that Million dollar salary. Because he thinks we are still a contender, it won't be a young guy brought up like Point or Otter.

As always, just MHO.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
I would have thought so before the slump. But, you have to remember there was some consideration to dumping Kari after the STL playoff game 7 a few years ago, in the name of team confidence in him, and more thought to dumping both he and Anti last year. Contract issues kept him here, but now, he will be a UFA.

Will the team confidence be high in Kari as he backstopped them to a season killing 8 game losing skid? Granted, not all his fault, but the weak third periods where they had a chance are a recurring theme.

My guess is Nill will find a one or two year backup from the ranks of similarly demoted starting goaltenders or journeymen back ups for that Million dollar salary. Because he thinks we are still a contender, it won't be a young guy brought up like Point or Otter.

As always, just MHO.
We have a good core that can make us a contender, but I doubt you'll find a better goalie as a backup. Especially with backups getting paid more and more these days. If Kari would sign under 2 I would take him. I just think he's the best option available. I wouldn't do Oettinger or Point next year, but I'd like one in 2-3 years if they're ready.
Kari's not our starter anymore. It's okay if he's not super clutch. It's nice, but I think other problems out weigh those needs.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Having Kari in the roster is a problem because it means he will play. There will be better options in free agency or on the waiver wire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad