GDT: Game 74: Red Wings at cats 12:30 pm et 3/30/24 (NHLN, BSD)

Oct 18, 2006
What’s happened to Veleno? He’s been invisible for 3 weeks. Maybe he’s hit a wall? Earlier in the year with injuries he was playing 20+ minutes a night so maybe his conditioning isn’t where it needs to be? Because his best asset, his skating, has deserted him. He’s totally invisible. I guess the positive is that he’s not doing anything to hinder the team, but certainly nothing positive.

Also, I despise Ekblad.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
What’s happened to Veleno? He’s been invisible for 3 weeks. Maybe he’s hit a wall? Earlier in the year with injuries he was playing 20+ minutes a night so maybe his conditioning isn’t where it needs to be? Because his best asset, his skating, has deserted him. He’s totally invisible. I guess the positive is that he’s not doing anything to hinder the team, but certainly nothing positive.

Also, I despise Ekblad.

He looked prime to take another step early this year but definitely hit a wall. Guys get healthy and we brought in Kane but hes been given alot of opportunities to show another level... still like him but hes got the toolbox to do more still.

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
What if we yell at slumping players more? What if we call them out in the press more? Let's bench the guys trying to find their rhythm.

Look I'm not saying benching isn't a good technique to use now and then. I'm just saying that a lot of posters here during this rough stretch seem to think getting angry at players is the only solution.
I've actually wondered about this. Accountability is important, but this team seems emotionally fragile. Whenever things start going well and the start feeling confidence, they play well and score like crazy. On the other side, they manage to eff up absolutely everything.
As much as I don't like hearing "Oh, we played well aside from getting destroyed on the ice", I wonder how much of Newsy's kid glove reactions is about not pushing them off the ledge into an irretrievable funk.
Now mind you... I had some notion the vets were brought in for stability. If they can't bring that by example, what is the point of having so many of them?

Reactions: 14ari13

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This team has just fallen apart again near the end of the season. Better than the year before and thankfully they didn't make any deadline changes. This is where they hoped to be prior to this season and they still have a shot.

Still, however, a bit disappointing after how well they played for the majority of this season.

The fact this team completely tanked both times Larkin was out for an extended period is a red flag. One that Yzerman certainly knows will have to be addressed at some point.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Wow lost in a shootout. It's pretty safe to say no plaflyoffs this year. We haven't won on the road since I don't know when. So that doesn't bode well.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I've actually wondered about this. Accountability is important, but this team seems emotionally fragile. Whenever things start going well and the start feeling confidence, they play well and score like crazy. On the other side, they manage to eff up absolutely everything.
As much as I don't like hearing "Oh, we played well aside from getting destroyed on the ice", I wonder how much of Newsy's kid glove reactions is about not pushing them off the ledge into an irretrievable funk.
Now mind you... I had some notion the vets were brought in for stability. If they can't bring that by example, what is the point of having so many of them?

Don’t they lead the league in third period comebacks?

I just don’t think the veterans are very good and are probably gassed at this stage in the season since they’re old as dirt

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
giphy.gif
:cry:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
DeBrincat is brutal. He is easily the worst player on the team by far. Nobody is even close.

I didn't participate in the threads on the main board here, but I read them recently. There was a lot of negative posts about him. They are correct. DeBrincat costs us a goal every game.

I am down on DeBrincat too, but he is nowhere near the worst player on this team. He is easily top 5 best on this team and AINEC.

What if we yell at slumping players more? What if we call them out in the press more? Let's bench the guys trying to find their rhythm.

Look I'm not saying benching isn't a good technique to use now and then. I'm just saying that a lot of posters here during this rough stretch seem to think getting angry at players is the only solution.

Yes, you just lock them in a closet, yell at them for 24 hours straight and only let them out when they promise a win. It works everytime.

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Don’t they lead the league in third period comebacks?

I just don’t think the veterans are very good and are probably gassed at this stage in the season since they’re old as dirt
They really are not all that good.
I am also old as dirt and can not come up with the energy to dissect it all. Too much effort without getting paid for it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Well if newsguyone can find the names of the moderators' employers I bet some posters can find the employers of DeBrincat and Perron ;-)

Perron has taken 5 bad penalties in the last 6-7 games, every one of them were bad ones. 2 in the neutral zone, 3 in the offensive zone. He almost lost us the game last night. We were lucky their guy went all over the ice and took the roughing penalty. The team is fighting for their lives, Perron is doing everything he can to screw them up.

Anyhow, the team is not collapsing like last year. They play great hockey. The games are very entertaining and exciting. The team played great vs predators and lost 1-0 (Seider fighting Forsberg), they played great last night and almost won the game, 1 point is not too bad, and they played great vs caps entering the 3rd period with the 2-1 lead.
So they definitely play exciting hockey. And Edvidson looks amazing. I have never seen so young player with so much confidence. Lyon is looking very good again and very close to his great play in January. His great play could give the confidence the team needs.

It feels unfair that the caps are ahead of us with their -31.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Sit ADB?

Lolol dude

You’re all over the place.
Lol dude yourself.
1 goal in the last 14 games. If our top winger in his prime can provide just 1 goal, then we have ZERO chance to win. He should be our top 3 or at least top 5 contributor. He is not top 10.
Our top wingers are DeBrincat, Raymond and Kane. Raymond has 7 goals, Kane is PPG. Kane is 35 and producing, Raymond is 22 and producing. None of them in their prime. DeBrincat is in his very prime and has 1 goal in 14 games. That's beyond atrocious.
So stop embarrassing yourself!

And don't bring negative attitude to the board. The team is playing exciting, entertaining and at times very competitive hockey

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
We are 1-6 vs canes and cats. 3 out of 14 possible points.
We don't play them more this season.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
All in all the team plays entertaining and exciting hockey.
DeBrincat is getting chances hopefully they will start going in for him.
Can Lalonde explain to David Lapenalty Perron to stop taking penalties?

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Two points out of a spot in April. We're not winning the cup this year anyway but maybe we'll get some playoff experience for the youngins. Let's go, it's not the end of the world
5-3 the rest of the way gives them about a 75% chance (with 90 points), tough game on Monday vs the Bolts, seeing as we beat them twice at LCA in November, I suspect they have this game circled, but never say never, then the Rangers on Friday at LCA, the last top team is the Leafs in TO, the rest of the games are against teams the wings should be very competitive with.

Two practice days this week and hopefully the flu bug is gone by then so the guys get some stamina back (they are all playing gassed and hopefully Walman with the team), I expect a great game with the Rangers, they are a likely opponent if the wings get in the show.

Certainly not as secure as it looked when the team was what 13 games over .500 the end of February, but even after the March shit-show, they are still in this, the wings need to take care of business to close out the season, if they can't, then they do not deserve to be in the show.

Reactions: Steve91

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
Well if newsguyone can find the names of the moderators' employers I bet some posters can find the employers of DeBrincat and Perron ;-)

Perron has taken 5 bad penalties in the last 6-7 games, every one of them were bad ones. 2 in the neutral zone, 3 in the offensive zone. He almost lost us the game last night. We were lucky their guy went all over the ice and took the roughing penalty. The team is fighting for their lives, Perron is doing everything he can to screw them up.

Anyhow, the team is not collapsing like last year. They play great hockey. The games are very entertaining and exciting. The team played great vs predators and lost 1-0 (Seider fighting Forsberg), they played great last night and almost won the game, 1 point is not too bad, and they played great vs caps entering the 3rd period with the 2-1 lead.
So they definitely play exciting hockey. And Edvidson looks amazing. I have never seen so young player with so much confidence. Lyon is looking very good again and very close to his great play in January. His great play could give the confidence the team needs.

It feels unfair that the caps are ahead of us with their -31.
Ed does not look "amazing". he has looked good at times and lost at times. he is physically over matched at times. gets knocked around too easy for his size. he has looked better than Petry for sure. He is far from amazing at this point. But i would rather have him in instead of petry, mattaa, ghost and holl.

I am down on DeBrincat too, but he is nowhere near the worst player on this team. He is easily top 5 best on this team and AINEC.

Yes, you just lock them in a closet, yell at them for 24 hours straight and only let them out when they promise a win. It works everytime.
agree. dcat is not the worst player on the team. he is not the best in the dzone and has cost the team goals. but all the forwards have and there has been a few alot worst than him. i think last night was the best i have seen him create in a while, minus the bad pass to seiders skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad