GDT: Game 70 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs Dallas Stars | 7:30PM | Something, something the refs are Saruman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I said a few weeks. Malkin has been playing terrific hockey with and without Hornqvist. My personal opinion is that Malkin and Hornqvist don't play complementary games and the wheels will fall off sooner rather than later. I'm fine with being wrong. I often am, as are we all. It's all good.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I would like to see Dumoulin-Oleksiak as a pairing, but that would make one of Letang/Schultz/Ruhwedel play the left side.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’d love a real shutdown performance tonight. Not leaving guys wide open in close like last game. If Dallas has room out wide who cares but not in close. Don’t do that to your goalie.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm most concerned with how we're playing in all facets of the game. Last night we weren't sharp really in any capacity. Something profound and dramatic needs to happen because we have too many players not pulling their own weight on this team. Sully needs to make better personnel decisions and we need MM to get healthy.

Before the TDL we were playing pretty solid fundamentally. Maybe losing Cole and Reaves has hurt us more than we thought. Particularly off the ice and in the dressing room. Because we are not anywhere close to where we were. I also think losing ZAR has hurt us as he himself brought a nice dimension to this team. Add to that the fact that Brassard hasn't looked all that impressive so far and we're just not the same team.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I said a few weeks. Malkin has been playing terrific hockey with and without Hornqvist. My personal opinion is that Malkin and Hornqvist don't play complementary games and the wheels will fall off sooner rather than later. I'm fine with being wrong. I often am, as are we all. It's all good.
Whether it will continue or not, yeah, who knows? But it's working so I don't understand messing with it until it stops working. That was the original point I was making. I don't know why it's working. On paper, I agree it doesn't look like it should. But maybe having 2 guys forechecking is what Malkin needs? Maybe he needs someone going to the net? Maybe it's the realization that he's got to shoot the puck? I don't know, but it's working and has been for a while now.

If it stops working, of course, make a change. My personal opinion, though, is that Malkin and Kessel aren't great together. They are still going to put up some points together because they are so talented, but I think it's the law of diminishing returns in action.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
God forbid the league actually do something to address a problem rather than simply telling their coaches and players to shut up and deal with it.

Doing something might make the striped mafia ANGRY! We can't do that! Better to let them do whatever they want and run cover. Lord knows they are simply CRUCIAL to the game's meteoric rise to success.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To my eyes... they've slowed up significantly since Hornqvist came back from injury. I don't have the numbers in front of me. Maybe I'm wrong. There aren't many other options the coach is likely to try right now, anyway. So whatever.

Hornqvist has played 8 games since returning from injury. He started 5 of them with Geno. In those 5 games, Geno has 9 points. That's 3 goals, 6 assists . . . ALL buy an assist at even strength.

If anything, I'd say the 'issues' you saw last night were in part a function of (a) Geno going a little cold in the shooting department (1 for 19 in the last 6 with shots on net) and (b) Horny being a yo-yo going onto Geno's line (remember, Toronto was his first start with Geno and Hags since the Boston game).

Don't get me wrong, Horny with the puck was barely distinguishable from Carter Rowney in the neutral zone, but Geno wasn't exactly as crisp as usual in his passing (credit also the Leafs for great sticks) and the whole line's timing was a little off, something hardly unexpected since it was their first game reunited last night.

EDIT: BTW, another thing hurting Geno is the PP. 1g, 5a in his last 17. Too much . . .

043000032275-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Trade and Tom Hanks

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
Howdy y’all, just a good old friendly stars fan coming in peace.

Hope that tonight’s game is a ruff and wild rodeo tonight.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Howdy y’all, just a good old friendly stars fan coming in peace.

Hope that tonight’s game is a ruff and wild rodeo tonight.

No injuries though! I’m not too concerned with the end result but I’d like the Pens to keep Dallas to 2 goals or less.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Before the TDL we were playing pretty solid fundamentally. Maybe losing Cole and Reaves has hurt us more than we thought. Particularly off the ice and in the dressing room. Because we are not anywhere close to where we were. I also think losing ZAR has hurt us as he himself brought a nice dimension to this team. Add to that the fact that Brassard hasn't looked all that impressive so far and we're just not the same team.
We would have been better off trying to acquire a winger for Crosby and a 4th line center

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
We are at the lovely point of the season where the time difference is only +5 because Germany hasn't changed back to summer time yet. Love me those 12:30 am games

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad