Post-Game Talk: Game 7 : 10/26 - Anaheim Ducks @ Boston Bruins , 4pm PT, BSSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
What a comeback! The house was rockin' those last few minutes of the game. Almost forgot what it feels like to be that excited for a hockey game.

p.s. Thanks Leo for keeping this thread open and transitioning to post game talk!

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Agree Fowler hasn't been great to start the season, but weird take after this game where he just played 29 minutes of damn good hockey. No one else on this team can do that and that's where his value lies.

Also this was easily the worst game Minty has played (his stat card backs up his eye test imo) and the narrative after is that Minty is great and Fowler sucks. Cam had his best game of the season imo. Minty was good in the final minutes but he was a bit of an adventure in his own end tonight, for the first time in his career.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Also this was easily the worst game Minty has played (his stat card backs up his eye test imo) and the narrative after is that Minty is great and Fowler sucks. Cam had his best game of the season imo. Minty was good in the final minutes but he was a bit of an adventure in his own end tonight, for the first time in his career.

Fowler’s at his best when he’s not hemmed up in his own end…. I think he was able to avoid most of the bruins forecheck tonight and find the open ice, that’s kinda what we need from him on a nightly basis, if he can do that and eat up mins then he’s doing good.

I don’t think he needs to be the offensive guy we needed in the past… Mintyukov seems to have taken those reigns.

I agree Mintyukov had his worst game for about 3/4 of the night, and came alive the last couple mins…. But I also think that is pretty expected for a 19 year old playing his 7th career game vs a powerhouse team like Boston in an arena like Boston.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I don’t think Terry has been bad as people are making him out to be.

The way Cronin and Verbeek are though they are going to want a leader with a little more grit to them and I think McTavish fills that role.

I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m excited about finally watching some good Ducks hockey again but the way we finished that game, the way we are playing right now with not even getting breaks/bounces yet. That win could be season defining. I feel the new Ducks are upon us and while we still might not make playoffs, we are still going to be in the thick of things come the deadline.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t think Terry has been bad as people are making him out to be.

The way Cronin and Verbeek are though they are going to want a leader with a little more grit to them and I think McTavish fills that role.

I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m excited about finally watching some good Ducks hockey again but the way we finished that game, the way we are playing right now with not even getting breaks/bounces yet. That win could be season defining. I feel the new Ducks are upon us and while we still might not make playoffs, we are still going to be in the thick of things come the deadline.
I feel like i'm watching a completely different player than some people lol. For me, Terry has been fine to quite good so far. He has looked better in games with Carlsson.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I’m getting the feeling this is going to be McTavish’s team here soon. I used to think Terry might get the C, but to me it’s looking like it should be McTavish.
I think it's good they have taken their time deciding on a captain. Someone needs to come out and be the obvious choice and I'm thinking Mac will get there.

Reactions: ScarTroy

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The rookies stepped up huge at the end of a close game against a very good team on the road. Rookies had 4 points on the last 3 goals (including 3 primary points?). Also, 2 rookies out there on the game winning goal in 3 on 3 OT (and the non rookie isn't old enough to drink). IF (big if) they can keep this up and improve as the season goes on, we might be a lot closer to playoffs than most people thought.

Reactions: la patineuse

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Fowler’s at his best when he’s not hemmed up in his own end…. I think he was able to avoid most of the bruins forecheck tonight and find the open ice, that’s kinda what we need from him on a nightly basis, if he can do that and eat up mins then he’s doing good.

I don’t think he needs to be the offensive guy we needed in the past… Mintyukov seems to have taken those reigns.

I agree Mintyukov had his worst game for about 3/4 of the night, and came alive the last couple mins…. But I also think that is pretty expected for a 19 year old playing his 7th career game vs a powerhouse team like Boston in an arena like Boston.

Probably should give LaCombe some love since he's been promoted to be Fowler's partner for about 2 1/2 games. LaCombe helps to not get hemmed up too often.

Fowler is Cronin's most trusted d-man. Cronin will ride Fowler hard until he feels comfortable with his other d-men. Special teams is where Fowler takes on additional minutes. Minchy has taken over PP1QB minutes, but Fowler-Lyubushkin is Cronin's (or Thompson's) PK1 def unit. Since we take about 5.3 penalties per game, that's where Fowler takes on hard minutes. Hopefully, Cronin can trust LaCombe-Gudas or LaCombe-Lyubushkin to be his PK1 to give Fowler some minutes relief. We need Fowler not to wear out as the season progresses while we develop d-men.

Anaheim added three rookie d-men (LaCombe, Minchy, and Luneau), two bottom-pairing RDs (Gudas, Lybushkin), and two injury prone d-men (Drysdale and Vaaks). Fowler deserves a lot of praise as the mainstay of the d-corps until Cronin can develop even more trust in his troops. He's already had four different ES partners in Drysdale, Luneau, Vaaks, and, recently, LaCombe.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I never understood why Terry was always in a 'C' conversation.

I thought the C in the future could be someone like a McTavish/Gaucher
He’s cerebral, he gives measured answers to questions showing a deeper understanding that the canned answers 99% of players give, he always took coaching well and addressed and admitted his deficiencies, and he was described by the coaches, players, and himself as taking strides to try to be one of the people leading the others. All C type behaviors.

I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a coach at some point.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I never understood why Terry was always in a 'C' conversation.

I thought the C in the future could be someone like a McTavish/Gaucher

Agreed. I think Terry will be an A. McT has always been my choice for C long term. But this is also why I like that they are taking their time with the captaincy, you have young guys who are likely to be the leadership going forward but we need those staples to settle in and find their voice. Not having a C isnt hurting us right now

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm still waiting for 2021-22 Terry to show up. It's been a year + that he's been missing.
Terry essentially put up an almost identical PPG last year as the year before on a substantially worse team. So statistically he was every bit as good as he was the year before (just dealt with more injuries) but watching him there were times where i thought he looked more refined last year than the year before.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
He’s cerebral, he gives measured answers to questions showing a deeper understanding that the canned answers 99% of players give, he always took coaching well and addressed and admitted his deficiencies, and he was described by the coaches, players, and himself as taking strides to try to be one of the people leading the others. All C type behaviors.

Yeah, Terry seems more in the Paul Kariya/Scott Niedermayer mold of captain, albeit possibly a tad more vocal: calm, collected, thoughtful.

McTavish seems more in the Getlaf mold: confident, passionate, outspoken, warrior-like.

I don't know which one is better (if there's really a "better") or which one this team needs more. It will be interesting to see. I could see either one in that role next season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Terry essentially put up an almost identical PPG last year as the year before on a substantially worse team. So statistically he was every bit as good as he was the year before (just dealt with more injuries) but watching him there were times where i thought he looked more refined last year than the year before.

2021-22: 37g + 30a = 67 points
2022-23: 23g + 38a = 61 points
----------------------------------------
................. -14g .... +8a .... -6 points

Statistically, he's a different producer despite similar PPG rate. Someone else is doing more of the goal scoring.

The game play between 2021-22 vs after 2021-22 is vastly different. Because Terry's a puck hog who doesn't trust his teammates, it reduces his chances of scoring more goals as well as being more effective offensively. And because Terry is a puck hog, he makes it easier for the opposing team to defend b/c it's 1v5 instead of 5v5.

Now, let's look at the unselfish play of Carlsson. Carlsson has 2g + 1a in 3 games, a PPG player. Terry has 2g + 3a in 7 games, a 0.71 PPG player.

Our 2nd line of Vatrano-Mac-Strome are playing unselfishly and they're carrying half the team's goal scoring as well as rank top-3 in team scoring.

Zegras has only 1 point in 7 games, but I've liked his game play. His game hasn't changed like Terry's has. The points will come for Z because that style of play is conducive for scoring points.

2021-22 Terry is a $7 mil player. 2022-23 + Terry is not a $7 mil player. I'm happy we kept Terry, but 2022-23 Terry showed up instead of 2021-22 Terry so far this season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

All that! Terry would have probably earned the C for this season if he played like 2021-22 Terry last year. On the ice, he's muted compared to Mac, especially this year. Also, Carlsson is showing Terry up on the ice too. I love Terry, but his Rizz on the ice just isn't there with other players rising up.

I wouldn't mind if Terry becomes captain, but I also wouldn't be surprised if someone else got it. Mac and Carlsson will carry the C a lot longer than Terry if either one earns the C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad