GDT: Game 69: New York Rangers vs Winnipeg Jets, 7pm ET, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
The Jets seem to be the only top NHL team with zero drama, skeletons and distractions…outside of their nutjob coach. They just go out and play good stingy hockey.

Smells like a 2-4 final, with another ENG incoming at 18:58 of the third period.

Just keep Spionk off the score sheet please and thank you.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
C'mon, I'm pretty sure people are buying tickets because it's the Rangers, and they are one of the top teams in the league. As entertaining as that kid is, it's pretty sad if people are blowing a gasket for his scratching.

On one hand, it might be beneficial to show the kid that despite all the attention, he needs to learn how to control himself better. He's a 4th liner rookie on a top team. Just putting him back in "because the fans like him" is not going to develope him as a player. I'm pretty sure that the coaching staff doesn't like the fact that he has been tossed in 20% of the games he has played so far.

I know right? I was so excited to see Rempe that I bought tickets for two March games back in August hoping he'd play.

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
Because the way @EdJovanovski was paraphrasing it, was that Rempe is THE reason for those people going to the game. And that's sad, as the Rangers are one of the top teams in the league.

He's an added bonus, but people should be pretty happy regardless to go to see the Rangers in any case.
Again if he’s the reason someone goes to a game why is it sad? People enjoy seeing him play I can’t understand how that’s an issue.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yea even ignoring that Rempe has basically the best analytics on the team and has more than earned a spot, I’d maybe understand this a little more if it were a road game and the next game were at home. Fans were buying tickets specifically to see his return from suspension and the building would’ve erupted. MSG would be electric and more intimidating to play in

Playing like 2 minutes a night lol. If he got more ice time he would not have the same metrics that he does (and thats not entirely his fault, its what happens when you play enough minutes with Goodrow.)

He's done good things and enough to justify playing him again but it hasn't all been positive. I don't even think its not wanting to rock the boat after a dominant win. If this were a more high profile player looking to draw back in, I have zero doubt that they would have drawn back in. Its about the points being important and not wanting to play someone who has shown a tendency to take some really bad majors.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Again if he’s the reason someone goes to a game why is it sad? People enjoy seeing him play I can’t understand how that’s an issue.
Because it's the New York Rangers. This team should be above that, especially when we are not bottom dwellers.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
DC8Irra.jpeg

Drunk on the job as usual, sloppy Peter!

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
A lot of people are legitimately going to see him, he is the talk of the sports world. I hear people talk about Rempe outside of HF everyday. He is a celebrity even here in Canada. Went from like 3K followers on IG a month ago to now having more than Adam Fox. I don’t know how you can watch the games and how the crowd reacts to him and not think that generates any momentum, or the fact that in those 2 5 min majors we haven’t allowed a single goal because the boys feed off of his energy and energy ant to kill it even more badly for him. The not changing lineup thing after a win is BS, if it were one of Lavi’s guys he would put him in the lineup. Also we’re a banged up team and are coming off of a back to back and 5 games in 7 nights, they could use his energy.
Yeah, after his first couple of games a few weeks back, I had a beer league game and this old man clotheslined me in the throat with his stick (accidentally?) and immediately started talking to me about how "Rempe's gonna come after me now".

He's front page news.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
People have now gone so far in accepting that Goodrow is playing that they skip how BS that is and pivot to malding that Brodzinski is in over Rempe

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yeah, after his first couple of games a few weeks back, I had a beer league game and this old man clotheslined me in the throat with his stick (accidentally?) and immediately started talking to me about how "Rempe's gonna come after me now".

He's front page news.
Yea I hear about him in beer league, when I'm playing Chel online; my drunk Canuck fan uncle kept asking when he's back lol and on his Facebook all his friends are posting videos of the fights and talking about him everywhere and these guys aren't Ranger fans obvs as they live in BC. The guy got over 70K likes on his last IG pic, for reference Hanks last post got 6K, McDavids last got 8K. And most people at a hockey game are casual fans, HF is like top percentile hockey nerds. There are tons of people who don't follow hockey and just hear about this 6'8 240lb rookie who skates like the wind, hits like a train, and fights every other game and they want to go see it

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
Curious how they will look tonight. It will be interesting how Fox and the team does without Lindgren, and if they do well, decisions need to be made this summer.
I like Lindy a whole lot but due to his style of play and injury history he's physically aging faster than he should be (see Ryan Callahan). As such I don't think we need to break the bank on him especially if Jones keeps on getting better, Schnieds too. Pay Gus, get another low-key tough D man in the summer. Or win the Cup and do whatever the F you want at that point.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Curious how they will look tonight. It will be interesting how Fox and the team does without Lindgren, and if they do well, decisions need to be made this summer.
People get all upset about the size of defensemen but it's not something that really alarms me if the guy can move the puck.

Lindgren is small and doesn't move the puck well. It's a really dangerous combination.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
People get all upset about the size of defensemen but it's not something that really alarms me if the guy can move the puck.

Lindgren is small and doesn't move the puck well. It's a really dangerous combination.
It’s always wild to me how people say it’s “redundant” to add another small puck mover to the team because they already have Fox and this will leave them vulnerable to injuries in the playoffs. But Lindgren, who is also small, and can’t move the puck for shit, and basically gets hit by a Thundergun every game and dies, is not redundant to their playoff endeavors.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyHagelin

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s always wild to me how people say it’s “redundant” to add another small puck mover to the team because they already have Fox and this will leave them vulnerable to injuries in the playoffs. But Lindgren, who is also small, and can’t move the puck for shit, and basically gets hit by a Thundergun every game and dies, is not redundant to their playoff endeavors.
People just hate offensive defensemen and practice extreme tokenism with a player of that archetype.

Like, yeah, Fox is cool. Everyone else gets scrutinized.

Really, every pair should have one, and if one of them is a great all-around guy like Fox, my ideal pair has two.

I love Gus as a partner for Fox. Fox absolutely does not need a guy to "free him up." He's Moses on skates. The only help he needs is a guy that knows what offense is because we're going to be doing it when he's on the ice.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
People just hate offensive defensemen and practice extreme tokenism with a player of that archetype.

Like, yeah, Fox is cool. Everyone else gets scrutinized.

Really, every pair should have one, and if one of them is a great all-around guy like Fox, my ideal pair has two.

I love Gus as a partner for Fox. Fox absolutely does not need a guy to "free him up." He's Moses on skates. The only help he needs is a guy that knows what offense is because we're going to be doing it when he's on the ice.
What about Miller - Fox instead?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah... It's been obvious this season that teams that have scouted the Rangers double team Fox and the winger on the half boards. This leaves Lindgren open on the opposite point, which is why he's always the one taking the shot.

It's going to be interesting to see how teams play Fox now with an opposite d-man who is also dangerous.

And that's the whole story of a playoff series- coaches get very privy to the strengths and weaknesses of a roster. It's why we lost soundly to NJ in the latter half of the first round last year.

We've had entire playoff series where the capitals walled off one side of the boards because they knew Henrik was incapable of playing a puck on his backhand.

You need to be either flexible, (A well rounded roster that can play a number of ways), adaptable (A coach who is savvy and can update tactics based on the style of the opponent), unpredictable (Throw an X factor player into the series that changes the dynamic), or just simple too good to beat even with better tactics (The 2002 Detroit Red Wings)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
For as often as Gus gets lost in the defensive zone or pulls a boneheaded move, Lindgren probably eats the glass and is slow to get up and it leads to a chance or goal against because his team is short handed at least as often.

Like, man, I want to like Lindgren, I did like Lindgren, but it's damn brutal watching him get destroyed shift after shift and we're supposed to praise his toughness instead of being like "holy crap this guy is going to die because he can't protect himself and yet we're ride or die with him on the first pairing"

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
And that's the whole story of a playoff series- coaches get very privy to the strengths and weaknesses of a roster. It's why we lost soundly to NJ in the latter half of the first round last year.

We've had entire playoff series where the capitals walled off one side of the boards because they knew Henrik was incapable of playing a puck on his backhand.

You need to be either flexible, (A well rounded roster that can play a number of ways), adaptable (A coach who is savvy and can update tactics based on the style of the opponent), unpredictable (Throw an X factor player into the series that changes the dynamic), or just simple too good to beat even with better tactics (The 2002 Detroit Red Wings)
While I'm thinking about it, I do believe this is one area that Cooper and the Lightning excel in. They're not able to out talent everyone anymore or whatever but they're still great at adjusting and coming back against a team, finding the holes in their system or strategy, and exploiting it. I think you have to be ready to change a bit too or throw different looks at them and why they eventually rolled the Rangers in the ECF. They made adjustments, Gallant didn't, and that's all it took

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

1710872054020.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad