Post-Game Talk: Game 67: Bear Dances In The Everglades - Claude passes Art Ross - BRUINS 5 Florida 4

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
It's called parody. I guess fans of pretty much every team in the East outside of Washington could be saying exactly the same thing. In this game alone Florida looked like a midget team in the 1st and The 80's Oilers in the 2nd. I love how so many seem to think the Bruins are the only team that struggles against the opposition at times.

Interesting misuse of a word , I think you were looking for parity. :laugh:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Oh really? Tell me how many other games do you watch outside of Bruins games?

I have the Center Ice package and living in the NY/NJ tri-state area have access to the Rangers/Devils/Islanders. I'd say outside of every Bruin game , I watch about 5-6 other NHL games per week. I may not watch entire games but jump around based on scores and matchups.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I have the Center Ice package and living in the NY/NJ tri-state area have access to the Rangers/Devils/Islanders. I'd say outside of every Bruin game , I watch about 5-6 other NHL games per week. I may not watch entire games but jump around based on scores and matchups.

Perhaps you should get out more.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Hmm something makes me doubt that. You're trying pretty hard to pick holes in this hockey team instead of just enjoying the ride.

People look at life and things differently its what makes the world an interesting place. I'm a computer systems engineer by trade ,its my nature to try and poke holes into situations so that I can find and craft solutions. I do get major enjoyment watching the Bruins win, but I'm more inclined to nitpick the things that didn't go well than to praise and gloat over what went well.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I'll have to take your word for it, because I don't watch every minute of every other team.

However, logically.......if the bruins play solid for 30 minutes and then disappear for the next 30 against another team in the east, then couldn't we say that that the other team disappeared for the first 30 minutes and then played solid for the last 30?

But in Fla's case they played "poorly" in the 1st and outshot the Bruins 16-15 - Thank you Rask and Thank you Luongo.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Florida D-men were losing the puck at our blueline a lot via pressure, whether it was from a stick or a blocked shot which caused a few odd man rushes. I hope the coaches mark that down and remind the forwards to stay aggressive on the points the next time they play.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And some people aren't happy unless others enjoy things exactly the way they do.

Sadly you will see most here watch the Bruins and no other hockey, then give you a hard time when they **** away a three goal lead and hand a point to a team AHEAD of them in the standings and call you unreasonable.

The Everything is Awesome LegoMovie theme song originated in these parts.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
People look at life and things differently its what makes the world an interesting place. I'm a computer systems engineer by trade ,its my nature to try and poke holes into situations so that I can find and craft solutions. I do get major enjoyment watching the Bruins win, but I'm more inclined to nitpick the things that didn't go well than to praise and gloat over what went well.

As someone else who actually pays good money to be able to watch the Bruins each season as you do, you don't have to defend your fandom. Just because you don't wear Bruins footy PJs and sleep underneath a Bruins fathead it doesn't make you any less of a fan. Again, how dare you be critical. :laugh:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Florida D-men were losing the puck at our blueline a lot via pressure, whether it was from a stick or a blocked shot which caused a few odd man rushes. I hope the coaches mark that down and remind the forwards to stay aggressive on the points the next time they play.

Its been said countless times but IMO the key is the transition game. When they moved the puck quickly and generated counter attacks they're offense looked proficient.

When they settled back into the dump/chip/chase game , Fla was all over them and stifled any semblance of offense from the Bruins.

I don't know if its coaching or the players natural reactions to sit back with a lead but its evident that's what happened and gave the Panthers all the momentum.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
As someone else who actually pays good money to be able to watch the Bruins each season as you do, you don't have to defend your fandom. Just because you don't wear Bruins footy PJs and sleep underneath a Bruins fathead it doesn't make you any less of a fan. Again, how dare you be critical. :laugh:

Thanks - WBC8. Somedays I really feel like public enemy #1 on these boards, but what really gets me is when other posters accuse me of either not being a fan or knowing the game.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't think it's that. It's just that after a big win, the last thing we want to see are posters hell-bent on being pessimistic.

I'm one of the more optimistic fans here. I love a big win and will praise them for it. The Chicago game was a well-earned win. they dominated not just on the scoresheet but in the possession game as well and were real good defensively.

Last night's win was one of the ugliest wins I've ever seen and not something to celebrate. Glad to get the extra point, but giving up a point in the process to a division rival is the equivalent of losing in OT to a western conference team. And they played like garbage. As was mentioned they only won b/c they scored a lot of goals in the first in what was an otherwise pretty even period. The last 40 minutes ranged from getting dominated by the Panthers to getting mildly outplayed by them.

So yeah happy for the win and if they follow it up with a stretch of strong games then it's one you can look back on and just be glad you survived it. But it's also valid to be concerned about the way they played and worried that it's a sign of things to come.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
It almost seemed like in those last 2 periods that Florida said screw it, let's go on an all out attack because I never seen Florida remotely play like that. Whenever I have seen them play they don't seem particularily quick, an average team speed wise, but they looked both big and really fast last night for 2/3 of that game. I'm hoping that that was more because of Boston's poor play then Florida's.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't think it's that. It's just that after a big win, the last thing we want to see are posters hell-bent on being pessimistic.

Right. It's schtick.

You do it occasionally when there are valid concerns, that makes it criticism.
You do it regardless (making excuses for the teams you beat, not allowing those same excuses for your own club, highlight just the problems and rarely the positives) you're playing a character. You lose the benefit of doubt.

You see a contributor like GordonHowe or TCL40 or ODAAT post negatives, you take those posts into account because the people writing them are fair and aren't opposed to expressing happiness with the team when it's warranted.

Others (and I won't name them) seem to post almost exclusively to stomp on the joy of being a fan. Whether times are up or down, they always seem to be down and wanting to drag others down with them.

One way or the other, the reputation is earned.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Julien's take on last night.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2016/03/bruins_escape_with_ot_win

“I liked the pace. I liked how well we were moving the puck, but I didn’t like our play on the other side of the puck,” said Julien. “We talked about it, but it didn’t get any better in the second. We actually lost our offensive game, too. Really one of the worst periods I’ve seen in a long time from our hockey club. The third period, we got better, obviously, but we needed overtime to win this hockey game. A hard fought game by both teams, but I don’t think either team is going to be real happy with their play. We’re not teams that like to give up that many goals.”

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Thanks - WBC8. Somedays I really feel like public enemy #1 on these boards, but what really gets me is when other posters accuse me of either not being a fan or knowing the game.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Being a fan of the team should not preclude you from criticizing it.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Sadly you will see most here watch the Bruins and no other hockey, then give you a hard time when they **** away a three goal lead and hand a point to a team AHEAD of them in the standings and call you unreasonable.

The Everything is Awesome LegoMovie theme song originated in these parts.

Actually, it's just the opposite. New England is the original home of Eeyore and his permanent storm cloud.

I believe people are talking in general terms here, not just about this game, about a weird New England fan dichotomy. For decades, "the worst thing that can happen, will" was the rule of Boston sports teams (excluding the Bird-era Celtics). This was loser town, which seemed to mesh well with the dour New England mindset.

Then in 2001 it turned around. In the last decade and a half, Boston sports teams have won nine championships, and come close to even more. Suddenly we're the envy of almost every other sports town in North America.

Ever hear the phrase "be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it"? Like "some people aren't happy unless they're miserable," it was a phrase I never understood, until late adulthood. Sustained excellence has turned many New England fans into spoiled, entitled brats, BUT, there's still that residual "everything is awful" DNA. Put those two elements together and it's downright insufferable. Those are the people clownshoes like Felger and Mazzarotti are preaching to.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
And for the record, regarding this game, I am not celebrating, and I don't think anyone else is. Happy for the two points is about it. Learn your lesson and do better.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Ever hear the phrase "be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it"? Like "some people aren't happy unless they're miserable," it was a phrase I never understood, until late adulthood. Sustained excellence has turned many New England fans into spoiled, entitled brats, BUT, there's still that residual "everything is awful" DNA. Put those two elements together and it's downright insufferable. Those are the people clownshoes like Felger and Mazzarotti are preaching to.

^^This X 1000. It used to be the worst thing that can happen was Bucky F-ing Dent, the ball going between Buckner's legs to lose the World Series, or LaFleur scoring during the Too Many Men game to lose the Cup. Since we've become title town, the "worst thing that can happen" becomes whatever game you are watching, and whatever play you decide to kvetch about. A defensive breakdown in a game against Arizona on January 13th becomes the same as losing in triple overtime on a goal by that useless scrub Petr Klima. It's Eeyore on steroids. It's like that dumb donkey won the lottery, built himself a million dollar barn with all the luxuries, and then *****es about his stall not having enough sunshine when a random cloud goes by.

My God I wish just one of these spoiled millennials lived through Lucy pulling away our football in the late 70's and 80's.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Actually, it's just the opposite. New England is the original home of Eeyore and his permanent storm cloud.

I believe people are talking in general terms here, not just about this game, about a weird New England fan dichotomy. For decades, "the worst thing that can happen, will" was the rule of Boston sports teams (excluding the Bird-era Celtics). This was loser town, which seemed to mesh well with the dour New England mindset.

Then in 2001 it turned around. In the last decade and a half, Boston sports teams have won nine championships, and come close to even more. Suddenly we're the envy of almost every other sports town in North America.

Remember not everyone here likes the Pats and Red Sox.

I would look at it as winning breeds winning and strengthens the thirst for more. I enjoy the "there is no second place" mentality.

That being said, when a team clearly not championship caliber is criticized for not being a champion that is ludicrous as well.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
^^This X 1000. It used to be the worst thing that can happen was Bucky F-ing Dent, the ball going between Buckner's legs to lose the World Series, or LaFleur scoring during the Too Many Men game to lose the Cup. Since we've become title town, the "worst thing that can happen" becomes whatever game you are watching, and whatever play you decide to kvetch about. A defensive breakdown in a game against Arizona on January 13th becomes the same as losing in triple overtime on a goal by that useless scrub Petr Klima. It's Eeyore on steroids. It's like that dumb donkey won the lottery, built himself a million dollar barn with all the luxuries, and then *****es about his stall not having enough sunshine when a random cloud goes by.

My God I wish just one of these spoiled millennials lived through Lucy pulling away our football in the late 70's and 80's.

Ah, the participation trophy generation! :laugh: or, Veruca Salt children as I see most of them as, not here though.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Outstanding posts you two, you absolutely nailed it. :handclap::yo:

I lived through the nightmare 70s & 80s. With the exception of the Celtics after the Big Three arrived, it was a sports wasteland.The Bruins seemed to be perpetually one round & done, the Red Sox were a clown show and the Patriots were the joke of the NFL. It makes me appreciate the last 15 years so much more. But yes at times I do go full Eeyore. When you've seen what I've seen happen to New England sports teams through the years there are times when you just can't help yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad