GDT: Game 66: Sharks @ Oilers 6pm PST csn-ca Kfox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The issue with the Oilers is that the had teamates not sticking up for each other, whereas the Flames and Coyotes stick up for each other. And that pattern has been going on for years.

The other pattern that has been going for years is the cause of things like that. When they finally start to win and be competitive, that issue will take care of itself. But if they trick themselves into believing that they need to find themselves guys like John Scott to try and do that, they will head in the wrong direction.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Not defending Nurse, but the Oilers really have had team toughness issues with being pushed around for years now. We were just unlucky enough to be when they decided to finally push back on a perceived cheap shot.

An irrational and unaware decision doesn't really constitute push back. Punching an unsuspecting victim never makes you look tough, it makes you look like a *****.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
There's a lot of dumb **** people say on HFBoards that I'm usually able to let go, but for whatever reason this whole sage pissed me off more than anything in recent memory. The response from some folks defending Nurse have been absolutely insane, ranging from blaming Polak, arguing he could have dropped his gloves and fought back but just chose not to, to the argument that it was completely appropriate, even though Hendricks himself said that their was no ill will on Polak's part when he went into the boards.

The craziest thing to me though is the idea that this sends some sort of message to other NHL teams that Edmonton is now a team to be reckoned with. No player or coach in the NHL views Nurse as anyone they need to stay away from. If anything, they might try to goad him into stupid penalties in the future, and no one is going to shy away from hitting them just because one player popped an unsuspecting opponent.

Being "hard to play against" means working hard and being tenacious in all three zones, finishing checks and finishing them hard, and making teams pay on the scoreboard when they take penalties. Fighting after a perceived dirty hit is a part of it, but a very, very small part that borders on inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. And when you fight someone who is unable to fight back, that does even less to make you look tough.

One poster went so far as to suggest that Nurse just has to look at another team's bench now and they will all cower in fear. :laugh:

Glad DoPS sent a real message on this.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Dops gets it right, blind squirrels and such

Yes

I think the DoPS just determines supplemental discipline decisions based on their horoscope, a roll of a D12, and how good their french toast was that morning

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 14s15 seconds ago

Roman Polak is fine to play tonight. Suffered a broken nose and has a pretty good shiner under his left eye #SJSharks

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
There's a lot of dumb **** people say on HFBoards that I'm usually able to let go, but for whatever reason this whole sage pissed me off more than anything in recent memory. The response from some folks defending Nurse have been absolutely insane, ranging from blaming Polak, arguing he could have dropped his gloves and fought back but just chose not to, to the argument that it was completely appropriate, even though Hendricks himself said that their was no ill will on Polak's part when he went into the boards.

The craziest thing to me though is the idea that this sends some sort of message to other NHL teams that Edmonton is now a team to be reckoned with. No player or coach in the NHL views Nurse as anyone they need to stay away from. If anything, they might try to goad him into stupid penalties in the future, and no one is going to shy away from hitting them just because one player popped an unsuspecting opponent.

Being "hard to play against" means working hard and being tenacious in all three zones, finishing checks and finishing them hard, and making teams pay on the scoreboard when they take penalties. Fighting after a perceived dirty hit is a part of it, but a very, very small part that borders on inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. And when you fight someone who is unable to fight back, that does even less to make you look tough.

One poster went so far as to suggest that Nurse just has to look at another team's bench now and they will all cower in fear. :laugh:

Glad DoPS sent a real message on this.

You know what types of teams are hard to play against? Good teams like S.J. The Oilers are the still baby **** soft squad they've been the last 5 years.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You guys were warned about attacking Oilers fans. But it's still happening

Given that, there's no need to keep the GDT open now that the suspension has been handed down. This chapter is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad