GDT: Game 66: Sharks @ Oilers 6pm PST csn-ca Kfox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
No one cares that it happened to Player X. They care because it happened period. The players involved are irrelevant, it's the act that everyone has issue with.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm just baffled by this huge emotional reaction to a player there's no rational reason for anyone to be emotionally invested in - he's barely been on the team for two weeks and he's a bit part, not some impact acquisition. But whatever, clearly I'm alone here.

In reality, there's no rational reason to be emotionally invested in sports but here we are.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm just baffled by this huge emotional reaction to a player there's no rational reason for anyone to be emotionally invested in - he's barely been on the team for two weeks and he's a bit part, not some impact acquisition. But whatever, clearly I'm alone here.

The bolded is irrelevant. Why should it matter who that action was against? The posters are upset because a 'Shark' was illegally punched and hurt as a result. And rightly so. I would be upset if this happened to Mike Brown or god forbid Adam Burish (when they were Sharks). Despite how much I would rather them not been seen on the ice wearing a Sharks jersey.

I have played pick-up games in soccer and I don't care who is on my team. I have their back. More so, if I see them being illegally tackled.

People who are calling for McDavid to be taken out or asking for Oilers players to be targeted are as wrong in my opinion.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

Well first of all you're wrong. Every player on the team is important to its success/failure, no matter how small you think their role is.

He is a San Jose Shark. I don't care if he's been here for 5 days or 5 years, I'm going to be pissed off if he gets suckered.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Not sure if it's been posted here, I haven't read through all the pages but Fraser talked about the Nurse/Polak stuff in his C'Mon Ref article today

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-darnell-nurse-and-rule-46-11-1.450649

A player that is deemed to be both the instigator and the aggressor of an altercation, shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, a ten minute misconduct which is elevated to a game misconduct in the final five minutes, plus an additional game misconduct for being the aggressor. That is what Darnell Nurse should have been assessed on this play instead of a roughing minor and five minutes for fighting.
Polak didn't deserve the fighting major penalty that he was assessed. To be perfectly frank, Roman Polak did not deserve a single penalty in this encounter with Nurse. Bloodied and with his gloves still on his hands, Polak was a victim of the unprovoked attack. The penalty assessment in this incident was poorly handled.

Even though the consequences of determining an instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes is very severe, the referees must not avoid making that call; especially in such an obvious situation as this incident.
If justice is to be properly served and rule 46.22 is to maintain any validity, Darnell Nurse will be suspended for at least one game for his actions.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
A Shark got jumped. Sharks should retaliate or they will continue to be viewed as soft. Get Scott back.

shorkie88

Jun 11, 2015
Calgary

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I love that Jamie McLennan said that Nurse was sending a message that the Oilers aren't to be messed with. Sucker punching someone isn't really how you send that message.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I love that Jamie McLennan said that Nurse was sending a message that the Oilers aren't to be messed with. Sucker punching someone isn't really how you send that message.

I love how it's being presented that this somehow sends THAT message anyway.

"Hey, if one of us trips and you happen to be nearby, one of our guys is going to sucker punch you."

That's the message I got from all that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

The league sent the most important message.

Noodles can go back to being a backup analyst.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

Not defending Nurse, but the Oilers really have had team toughness issues with being pushed around for years now. We were just unlucky enough to be when they decided to finally push back on a perceived cheap shot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not defending Nurse, but the Oilers really have had team toughness issues with being pushed around for years now. We were just unlucky enough to be when they decided to finally push back on a perceived cheap shot.

The whole pushed around business goes hand in hand with that whole losing business they have. They won't get pushed around if they actually start winning games. And in all honesty, looking for ways to be tougher physically is a detriment to trying to find ways to be more of a winning team.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
The whole pushed around business goes hand in hand with that whole losing business they have. They won't get pushed around if they actually start winning games. And in all honesty, looking for ways to be tougher physically is a detriment to trying to find ways to be more of a winning team.

I agree that if they can start winning, some of the getting pushed a round will end. There is nothing like a good PP to stop a lot of cheap shotting dumb penalties.

But my point is the last few years, the Oilers have been dealing with mainly the Canucks and Ducks doing things like running goalies and cheap shotting players, with the rest of the team acting like they didin't see what happened.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Find that toughness. Good teams will like playing you even more because they will take the power plays and make you pay that way.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree that if they can start winning, some of the getting pushed a round will end. There is nothing like a good PP to stop a lot of cheap shotting dumb penalties.

But my point is the last few years, the Oilers have been dealing with mainly the Canucks and Ducks doing things like running goalies and cheap shotting players, with the rest of the team acting like they didin't see what happened.

The dirty little secret about the Canucks and Ducks is that they've been doing that kind of crap to every team. It's not really an issue of the Oilers dealing with that in the wrong manner or being singled out. The Ducks and Canucks just happen to be a team that has a tendency to be cheap.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
The dirty little secret about the Canucks and Ducks is that they've been doing that kind of crap to every team. It's not really an issue of the Oilers dealing with that in the wrong manner or being singled out. The Ducks and Canucks just happen to be a team that has a tendency to be cheap.

The issue with the Oilers is that the had teamates not sticking up for each other, whereas the Flames and Coyotes stick up for each other. And that pattern has been going on for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad