GDT: Game 65: Coyotes @ Oilers - 7PM - FSAZ+

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
(about prediction: Hjalmarsson scores)

Good prediction. Even if the shots thing was off... nice to call a dude's first goal this far into the season!

As for the Yotes... sloppy game imo. Not up to how they have been playing recently. The first period in particular was pretty bad. Kuemper also did not have a strong game at all, so that doesn't help. Credit due though, they got it back to OT at least. The PP continues to kill the team, though. So frustrating to watch it squander so many chances!

Thanks to all of you guys :D. Credit for the predicton, even if the details were off, belongs to the local Edmonton newspapers though. I was googling around for their talk about the game, and I found it. It was something like "Edmonton has let in the first shot in 135 games - " (or whatever it said. A big number.) "this season. We would be safe to let Hjalmarsson have their first shot, cause he can't score and hasn't scored at all for the Coyotes".

It was fairly obvious what would happen. That sport-reporter is the kind they really shouldn't want to do their reporting for them. ;).

Sad for Kuemper he didn't get his first win. We shouldn't compare his lateral movements with Raanta though. Looking at other goalies after been used to Raanta, it's always looks like they are glued to the ice.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
LOL you have so much hatred for Tippett. Let it go.. It's not worth it. So he jilted you. Happens to everybody. :nod:
I just like pointing out the blatant hypocrisy/lunacy of certain people. It really has little to do with my feelings about the ol' Tippster. Sorry if my posting hits too close to home.

Reactions: Yandover

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Another game that was lost because of the PP. Not being able to convert on so many tries + short handed goal.

Oh yea! And the worst part about that SH goal is how badly it all had to go for it to happen. Even after Kconn messed up... it required Perlini to be terrible at defense AND the rest of the team didn't backcheck quick enough. It was an all around nightmare of a play. I just don't like the attitude that seems to ooze from this PP... doesn't feel like there is any killer instinct on it or major intent to score. Just seems like a break for 2 minutes and then they can start to play hard again.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Actually the PK in one instance wasn't much better. Right after I noticed on the ice were 13,14,44,2 and the backup GK, I thought "here it comes"...and so it did. Ew, how were those 4 out there at the same time?

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I just like pointing out the blatant hypocrisy/lunacy of certain people. It really has little to do with my feelings about the ol' Tippster. Sorry if my posting hits too close to home.
Yea, feels like an ex-wife who hounded me for quite a while.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Someone from Martinook's family is keeping up the tradition of flipping off opposing fans in their barn. Didn't catch it last night but saw it during the replay this evening.

DXpY3tXVMAUbQG_.jpg

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Someone from Martinook's family is keeping up the tradition of flipping off opposing fans in their barn. Didn't catch it last night but saw it during the replay this evening.

DXpY3tXVMAUbQG_.jpg

i think that is Martinook...i mean look at him holy shit....well, technically they're all Martinooks...

MajkUts.gif

Last edited:

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Here’s an idea. Give lower weight to early games and higher weight to later games. Something like:

First 20 games: Win is 2 points, OTL 1 point.
Second 20 games: win is 3 points, OTL 1.5 points.
Third 20: win is 4, OTL is 2
Fourth 22: win is 6, OTL is 3

Then no team is out of it in December (or November if you are the Coyotes). All teams have a chance going down the stretch. Less reason to firesale. Less reason to tank. Less time to tank.

Lottery can go away because every team would be scrapping till the end.
Credit to you for at least offering a solution :)

I am not sure if you are talking about the actual standings or the draft order. If you are talking about draft order it is a little complicated, and simpler is usually better. If you are talking about the standings then it is a full stop no because you are saying a win in October is worth a different amount than April. I am not sure if you were saying that however.

One idea I always liked is counting the points that a team gets once it is mathematically eliminated, which is another complicated concept. Basically at the end of the season you would look at what point each team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and all points they accrued at that point would count towards their total and the team with the most points would pick the highest. Teams that were right on the bubble might have been eliminated with 1 or 2 games left in the season would not get enough to jump to the top of the list, but teams that sucked all year long would actually have to try to compete to the bitter end to get points towards that draft pick. It would reduce the trade deadline to an even more boring spectacle than it has already become because there would be less rentals because even the poor teams would want to be competitive to get a better draft pick. I am not sure if rentals actually provide any benefit to the league as it is, they rarely factor into anything significant.

All that said, the simplest solution is usually the best one. If you are explaining, you are losing the argument.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the draft lottery format is fine enough. I do hate the points system. I think it should just be wins and losses only with no points or consideration given to post-regulation anything.

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can you imagine how wild the last five minutes of a game would be if it were tied? No loser points on the line. Both teams going for it. Very exciting hockey :)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I think the draft lottery format is fine enough. I do hate the points system. I think it should just be wins and losses only with no points or consideration given to post-regulation anything.

I’m a huge fan of the way soccer does it

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an over time win
1 point for an overtime loss

Every game is worth 3 points

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Since this thread is now about basically everything.

31 -1 = 1 - 31.

I’m a huge fan of the way soccer does it

I used to really hate loser points and shootouts and ties, basically all of it :laugh:

But I've somewhat mellowed and now just hope they don't get cheeky tinkering playoff overtimes :rant:
Regular season, whatever. If they f*** with playoff overtime that's some bullshit.

Reactions: _Del_ and Sthlmyote

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Since this thread is now about basically everything.

31 -1 = 1 - 31.

I used to really hate loser points and shootouts and ties, basically all of it :laugh:

But I've somewhat mellowed and now just hope they don't get cheeky tinkering playoff overtimes :rant:
Regular season, whatever. If they **** with playoff overtime that's some bull****.
I’m fine with the OT format as-is. It’s fun for regular season. I like the current post season OT format too. The nhl had got it right there, IMO. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Meh. I have a bigger problem with skillz contests to decide winners, though. Playoffs, I get it; play till you drop and that's very cool...longer OT in regular season? Fine. But after 70 minutes, if you've scored the same number of goals in that time, that's a draw. That's one thing the NFL (almost) gets right.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't get the American obsession with "ties? Ew!" And I'm American.
I like the old system, too. They thought the loser point would open up OT, but we've since kept removing skaters to try to accomplish that. I think it's a failed experiment. It only makes teams more conservative in regulation playing for the guaranteed point.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ties are fine for people who don't pay to go to the games. It's that simple. You pay way too much these days to attend a professional sporting event to have a finish that has no resolution.

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad