GDT: Game 64: Red Wings at knights 10:00 pm et 3/9/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

The patch debate is utterly uninteresting.

Something else is not: "We are a lock","It would take a miraculous collapse....", "The Islanders are out of it", "I'm not worried about the Flyiers" after 60 games...How quickly the arrogance and smugness of some ppl in here disappeared...almost like there is a lesson to be learned here. Some of us warned not to count our chickens before...

good-twice.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
People need to relax. Vegas should ABSOLUTELY be beating us with their roster and the moves they just made. If rosters and situations were switched we would be expecting our team to win this game. Vegas also had to be pretty hungry to win, seeing as they were on a 2-7-1 slide coming into the trade deadline and had only 1 more pt than us coming into last night's game. They also only had a 6 pt gap to being out of the playoffs before last night with a far better roster than we have.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Ridiculous "effort".. again. The front office can take all this "veteran presence", "important for the locker room" nonsense and shove it up their.. sleeves. 😇

This team in reality has a lack of leadership, or rather leadership by example, and that's why they don't show up for the first period in 90% of the games. And if that is the case, what do I need veterans for? If those are constantly taking a nap in the 1st, floating around and taking dumb penalties all the time (Perron and his silly holds.. :banghead: ), then play the AHL kids. In their case, you at least have "lack of experience" as an excuse that actually makes sense.

For this game, what pissed me off the most was that wasted PP in the 3rd, when Berggren drew the second. That was about as lazy as it gets, when you could've even stolen the game.

And tbh - after that, we all knew, that we would give up that 4th goal and lose in regulation, right? :eyeroll:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yzerman had to tank another season and get a top 3/5 pick after getting Raymond. It seems he gave in under the pressure.
I think Yzerman is building the which will peak at reaching conference finals.

I was pushing for bringing Mantha back, it was for free. Yzerman chose not to. He keeps Fabbri who has like 1 goal in his last 20 games, and Copp and Compher with 1 goal in their last 10 games combined.
Mantha could at least start a fight in the game vs the Coyotes and a fight was badly needed in that lifeless game. Yzerman also chose to trade away the lone player on the roster who is willing to drop the gloves.
We just making shit up now? I give you your 2020-2021 Detroit Red Wings!

Yeah Hronek was our leading scorer with 26 pts in 56 games and yet that disaster team was only 5th worst. Of course Kraken enter the league and naturally we get pushed to 6th to pick Edvinsson. Then next season two rookies leap onto the team and pretty much push us up into the 10th worst area. Whoopsie daisy.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Ridiculous "effort".. again. The front office can take all this "veteran presence", "important for the locker room" nonsense and shove it up their.. sleeves. 😇

This team in reality has a lack of leadership, or rather leadership by example, and that's why they don't show up for the first period in 90% of the games. And if that is the case, what do I need veterans for? If those are constantly taking a nap in the 1st, floating around and taking dumb penalties all the time (Perron and his silly holds.. :banghead: ), then play the AHL kids. In their case, you at least have "lack of experience" as an excuse that actually makes sense.

For this game, what pissed me off the most was that wasted PP in the 3rd, when Berggren drew the second. That was about as lazy as it gets, when you could've even stolen the game.

And tbh - after that, we all knew, that we would give up that 4th goal and lose in regulation, right? :eyeroll:
They lack an aggressive leader. There’s too many nice guys on the roster. They need someone like Corey Perry who will do anything necessary to win.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Oof, this thread. :)

I want the playoffs too, but didn't expect them. Still have a ton of games left, and they look like they're digging out of whatever hole they put themselves in. Should be a fun dozen games!

Imagine - games that matter in March and April? Woohoo!!!!

I'm gonna pour another drink, watch The Avengers again, maybe have a cigar, and seey'all tomorrow.
I know your a rum guy, but I made a cocktail at work the other day that has spring written all over it:
Ketel One Mint and Cucumber Vodka
St Germain
Kiwi Juice
Cucumber Juice
Lemon Juice
Aquafaba

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Oof, this thread. :)

I want the playoffs too, but didn't expect them. Still have a ton of games left, and they look like they're digging out of whatever hole they put themselves in. Should be a fun dozen games!

Imagine - games that matter in March and April? Woohoo!!!!

I'm gonna pour another drink, watch The Avengers again, maybe have a cigar, and seey'all tomorrow.
you didnt expect the playoffs 12 days ago when we had a 10 point cushion in the standings?

all we had to do was avoid a losing streak, and we would have coasted in, even .500 hockey would have got us in, yet here we are, on a losing streak because there is no mental toughness from anyone in the organization.

Reactions: GMR

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
you didnt expect the playoffs 12 days ago when we had a 10 point cushion in the standings?

all we had to do was avoid a losing streak, and we would have coasted in, even .500 hockey would have got us in, yet here we are, on a losing streak because there is no mental toughness from anyone in the organization.
I didn't expect the playoffs at the beginning of the season. I've been a "maybe they squeak in at the last minute, maybe they don't" guy since the first puck drop this season. I've been hugely, awesomely surprised and excited that they've grabbed a wild card spot and are defending it, but I don't - for a minute - think they are going to get past the first round if they get in.

I don't think they're good enough, and I figured an injury or some other "I don't know why but they are losing" streak would make it iffy, even with the cushion. And here they are. Does that make me some kind of seer? Of course not - you could see all season that they are still a team in growth, looking for "an identity" (whatever that means in sports :) ), etc. All the cliches. But let's not forget that they BUILT that cushion, which they haven't been able to do in, what, 7 years? 8?

They're just not there yet, and what I mean is that they can play top level, but it's still relatively easy to knock them off of that top level. It'll come. I think I'll get to see D-Boss skate the Cup around a bit. Just not this year.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'll be the happiest wronger in all the land.

Reactions: Winger98

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Some bull, ghost is a turnover machine.

Freak it. I can't figure out how to add pic/link so you don't have to look it up. (Really a bad feature here) That said, coach's decision not to play Walman is a bad sign for the room.

Patch - I had it. A billionaire sells the space for $15M he doesn't need. Worst of all, he takes the most iconic jersey in all of sport and puts a garbage truck ad it. Can you say tone deaf?! It's not the slide. The Wings did the same withering act last spring.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Walman being scratched for Holl is an absolute f***ing head scratcher of a move.

That's the kind of move that actively tanking teams make.

I have to wonder what that's about. I don't remember Walman standing out as any worse than the rest of the heartless dumpster fire of a team that played.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I have to wonder what that's about. I don't remember Walman standing out as any worse than the rest of the heartless dumpster fire of a team that played.
He took one penalty but it wasn't as half bad as Perron.

Now the coaching staff goes through videos many times so they see the plays many times while we see it only once.
This is particularly stupid as he pairs Seider with Chiarot, but those 2 never have had chemistry.
He also put Veleno with Raymond and Berggren. It was also stupid.

And maybe Seider decides to start putting more pucks to the net.
I think it was Seiders best game in wings uniform

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
And maybe Seider decides to start putting more pucks to the net.

Fingers crossed.

Ghost hasn't been great lately but last night he looked like one of the guys who cared the most and was getting pucks on net. My main frustration is his ill-timed wrister from the blueline with no one screening when the Wings are on a PP

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
One thing that annoys the hell out of me are the shots that miss the net from an angle when we have set up in the zone, and no one to pick up the puck near the boards at the blue line. It happens so often.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Rough sledding lately for you all. I'm guessing Yzerman tried to upgrade on the forwards but the asking price was either too high or the kind of player needed just wasn't available via trade. Either way, it's still a building year for you guys and you've progressively gotten better each year. Just a matter of time until you guys get some more talent in the top 9 and not be so top-heavy/Larkin-heavy. Still too many guys playing above their paygrade to be able to be consistent, especially against top teams. Hopefully some of the young forwards (Kasper/Mazur/Danielson/Etc) can help fill the gaps in the coming years.

Still a pretty good chance to make the Playoffs, and you have a good stretch of games coming up where you can make hay.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The last three games are also showing that Detroit should have done more than dump Kostin at the TDL.
Yzerman said we have no problem scoring. 5 goals in 4 games, shutout twice.
Rough sledding lately for you all. I'm guessing Yzerman tried to upgrade on the forwards but the asking price was either too high or the kind of player needed just wasn't available via trade. Either way, it's still a building year for you guys and you've progressively gotten better each year. Just a matter of time until you guys get some more talent in the top 9 and not be so top-heavy/Larkin-heavy. Still too many guys playing above their paygrade to be able to be consistent, especially against top teams. Hopefully some of the young forwards (Kasper/Mazur/Danielson/Etc) can help fill the gaps in the coming years.

Still a pretty good chance to make the Playoffs, and you have a good stretch of games coming up where you can make hay.

Good luck to you!
Thanks. Which team is yours?

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
And now ladies and gents we are officially on the outside looking in. Thank God we beat the Islanders when we needed too...oh wait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad