GDT: Game 63 - Edmonton Oilers @ Winnipeg Jets - Saturday, March 4th, 2023 - 6:00pm CST - CBC/CITY - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Winnipeg Jets take on the Edmonton Oilers in a rematch of last night's game in the Alberta Capital. The 6-3 loss by Winnipeg gives them a record of 35-25-2 on the season and 3-6-1 in their last ten games. Edmonton now has a record of 34-21-8 on the season and 4-3-3 in their last ten games. Will the Jets even bother to show up tonight, or will it be all Connor McJesus and his disciples. Will @sipowicz ever post another one of his sarcastic remarks on HFJets or will someone else have to take his place and pick up the slack? These questions could possibly be forgotten by the time the puck drops...

bakersfield-sign-tommy-anderson.jpg

The Edmonton Oilers minor league affiliate is located somewhere on the...

Which brings us to another instalment of...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

Upon Spanish arrival, present-day Bakersfield was inhabited by the Yowlumne, a Yokuts people. Yowlumne accounts indicate that the village of Woilu was situated in the bounds of the present city. The Yokuts of the region lived in lodges along the branches of the Kern River delta and hunted antelope, tule elk, deer, bear, fish, and game birds. Given the remoteness and inaccessibility of the region, the Yokuts remained largely isolated from further contact until after the Mexican War of Independence, when Mexican settlers began to migrate to the area. Following the discovery of gold in California in 1848, settlers flooded into the San Joaquin Valley.

california-bakersfield-top-rated-things-to-do-hart-memorial-park.jpg

In 1851, gold was discovered along the Kern River in the southern Sierra Nevada, and in 1865, oil was discovered in the valley. The Bakersfield area, once a tule reed-covered marshland, was first known as Kern Island to the handful of pioneers, who built log cabins there in 1860. The area was subject to periodic flooding from the Kern River, which occupied what is now the downtown area, and experienced outbreaks of malaria. In 1861, disastrous floods swept away the original settlement founded in 1860 by the German-born Christian Bohna.

Among those attracted to the area by the California gold rush was Thomas Baker, a lawyer and former colonel in the militia of Ohio, his home state. Baker moved to the banks of the Kern River in 1863, at what became known as Baker’s Field, which became a stopover for travelers. By 1870, with a population of 600, what is now known as Bakersfield was becoming the principal town in Kern County.

57d1249d7a373.image.jpg

In 1873, Bakersfield was officially incorporated as a city, and by 1874, it officially replaced the town of Havilah as the county seat. Alexander Mills was hired as the city marshal, a man one historian would describe as “… an old man by the time he became Marshal of Bakersfield, and he walked with a cane. But he was a Kentuckian, a handy man with a gun, and not lacking in initiative and resource when the mood moved him.” Businessmen and others began to resent Mills, who was cantankerous and high-handed in his treatment of them. Wanting to fire him but fearing reprisals, they came up with a scheme to disincorporate, effectively leaving him without an employer. According to local historian Gilbert Gia the city was also failing to collect the taxes it needed for services.

35151492.jpg

Bakersfield is the fifth-largest majority-Hispanic city in the United States, with 53% of its population being Hispanic in 2020.

5b998560485aa.image.jpg

Sam Lynn Ballpark in Bakersfield is a unique baseball stadium in the United States, as it is the only one that faces the west. Located in the heart of the city, the ballpark has been home to the Bakersfield Blaze, a minor league baseball team, since 1941. The stadium is known for its unique orientation, as the sun sets directly behind home plate, making for a beautiful backdrop for the game. The stadium also features a unique seating arrangement, with the majority of the seats facing the west, allowing fans to watch the sun set while they cheer on their team. Sam Lynn Ballpark is a one-of-a-kind stadium that offers a unique experience for baseball fans.

high_desert_bakersfield_re9dbozc_z04q0i76.jpg

Bakersfield is home to a unique sound known as the Bakersfield sound, which has been credited to two of its long-term residents, Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. These two country music legends have had a huge influence on the music industry, and their sound has been embraced by many generations of fans. Additionally, the popular nu-metal band Korn was formed in Bakersfield in 1993, further cementing the city's place in music history.

6a00d83451c29169e201630451f650970d-320wi

The city of Bakersfield was dealt a devastating blow in 1952 when a massive earthquake and its aftershock struck the downtown area, leaving much of it in ruins and destroying most of the historic buildings. This event had a lasting impact on the city, leaving a lasting reminder of the power of nature.

download (82).jpeg

Bakersfield is home to two of the largest carrot producing farms in the world. These farms, located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley, are responsible for producing a significant portion of the carrots consumed in the United States. The farms use advanced farming techniques to ensure the highest quality carrots, and employ hundreds of local workers to help with the harvest. The carrots grown in Bakersfield are shipped all over the country, and are a major contributor to the local economy. Maybe I should ship the two pesky rabbits in my yard down there...

IMG_2989.jpg

Bakersfield is home to the largest oil field in the state, the Midway-Sunset oil field, and is the most productive oil producing county in the entire state, Kern County. This oil field is located just outside of the city, and has been a major source of economic growth for the area. It has been estimated that the Midway-Sunset oil field has produced over 2 billion barrels of oil since its discovery in the early 1900s. This has helped to make Bakersfield a major hub for oil production in California, and has been a major contributor to the city's economy. Maybe that's why the Oilers have their farm team there...

300px-KernRiverFromBluff.jpg

Have faith Winnipeg fans, and pray McJesus loses his scoring touch... Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 30 Incredible And Fun Facts About Bakersfield, California, United States - Tons Of Facts and 10 fun and interesting Bakersfield facts,

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I love how people come in here to proclaim they don't care anymore. 🤣

I don’t think you're fooling anyone, and if you truly do not care, just take a break! Read a book, shovel some snow, do some yoga!

For those of us who still DO care, I'm calling it - this is the game that's going to turn it around.

The one thing that makes me nervous though is the old saying that really good teams don't lose more than 3 in a row. We went a long time not losing more than 2 in a row, and we did it by playing our systems religiously, regardless of score, and being aggressive while doing it.

What looks like laziness or not give a shit itis right now really is a complete lack of confidence. If you play like you don't want to make a mistake or lose, that's exactly what you'll do.

When a team is busting their ass but losing battles, making poor plays and chasing the puck all game, is because they are over thinking. You have to execute smartly and without hesitation. Other teams feed off of hesitation and then you spiral.

I don't know how the team gets back to just letting their muscle memory take over. Often times its getting really pissed off as a group or humiliated. I'm hoping we saw a bit of that in the third last night.

Not saying it was the wrong play, but if they'd kept Helle in last night, maybe those last two goals don't go in and who knows what could have happened. If any goalie can play b2b it's Hellebuyck

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don’t think you're fooling anyone, and if you truly do not care, just take a break! Read a book, shovel some snow, do some yoga!

For those of us who still DO care, I'm calling it - this is the game that's going to turn it around.

The one thing that makes me nervous though is the old saying that really good teams don't lose more than 3 in a row. We went a long time not losing more than 2 in a row, and we did it by playing our systems religiously, regardless of score, and being aggressive while doing it.

What looks like laziness or not give a shit itis right now really is a complete lack of confidence. If you play like you don't want to make a mistake or lose, that's exactly what you'll do.

When a team is busting their ass but losing battles, making poor plays and chasing the puck all game, is because they are over thinking. You have to execute smartly and without hesitation. Other teams feed off of hesitation and then you spiral.

I don't know how the team gets back to just letting their muscle memory take over. Often times its getting really pissed off as a group or humiliated. I'm hoping we saw a bit of that in the third last night.

Not saying it was the wrong play, but if they'd kept Helle in last night, maybe those last two goals don't go in and who knows what could have happened. If any goalie can play b2b it's Hellebuyck

The Oilers look dialed in right now. It'll be a tough game regardless of the Jets attitude. I do think it's another turning point but a loss here could turn it I'm another direction.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
The team needs to get back to the basics that led to them being 1st in the conference.

1) Fix the powerplay
2) Whatever happened to the relentless forecheck? D zone exits have never been so easy for other teams
3) Find a way to score a GOAL!

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
I was at the game last night and it was even worse live then it looked on TV. They really missed having Dubois in the lineup. Pretty hard to beat the oil with one scoring line and 3 third/forth lines. Hoping on a fool’s hope for better tonight. It did look like they were disheartened by the lack of help Chevy got them yesterday. I think all of Jet’s nation was disheartened by that.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
giphy.gif

In faith, I do not love thee Jets with mine eyes,
For they in thee a zillion errors note;
But 'tis my heart that loves what eyes despise,
Who in despite of view is pleased to dote;
Nor are mine ears with thine GM’d V8 rumble delighted,
Nor gutted feeling, to precious points thrown,
Nor errant passes, tight held sticks, to be invited
To any icy feast with this team alone.
But my team’s play nor my five senses can
Dissuade mine foolish heart from cheering on thee,
Who leaves unsway'd the simile of a hockey’d man,
Thy impudent D and 4th line wretch to be:
On my shame thus far I count my gain,
This group, please try, and dinnae bring the pain.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was at the game last night and it was even worse live then it looked on TV. They really missed having Dubois in the lineup. Pretty hard to beat the oil with one scoring line and 3 third/forth lines. Hoping on a fool’s hope for better tonight. It did look like they were disheartened by the lack of help Chevy got them yesterday. I think all of Jet’s nation was disheartened by that.
I think that's highly assumptive.
They played like shit before the DL, they played like shit when they got Niederraiter and I thought they actually battled more last night so facts don't support this argument that the team was let down by the tdl.

It could be argued that the team got a boost because Chevy gave the message he believes in them.

Also, saying it looked worse live is ridiculous. You have no way to measure that.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
I think that's highly assumptive.
They played like shit before the DL, they played like shit when they got Niederraiter and I thought they actually battled more last night so facts don't support this argument that the team was let down by the tdl.

It could be argued that the team got a boost because Chevy gave the message he believes in them.

Also, saying it looked worse live is ridiculous. You have no way to measure that.
i would argue,that being there live, that I would have a better visceral sense of the energy, or lack thereof, than you would, watching on TV. You would also not be privy to the jeers and mockery I experienced being in the live crowd. So, yes, my experience was likely worse than those not there, including you.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
i would argue,that being there live, that I would have a better visceral sense of the energy, or lack thereof, than you would, watching on TV. You would also not be privy to the jeers and mockery I experienced being in the live crowd. So, yes, my experience was likely worse than those not there, including you.
I really wasn't commenting on the fan atmosphere, more just the teams play. I totally get why fans are pissed but if they think booing or jeering the team is going to help I dint know what to tell them.

To be clear, they have every right to, they pay good money and should expect a product up to the value of the ticket, I just don't really see how it helps anything.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Most good teams go through tough spells that they need to dig out of.
I won't make excuses for Pro's - they've all been here before - this is nothing new that needs to be figured out.

They need to come out flying in the first - leave it all out there and work their asses off.
If they do that, they will be on the road to fixing the problem - it's not complicated unless you want to make it complicated. Bones has gone out of his way to keep the message simple

There really are no excuses.

Hoping tonight is the night they start to turn it around - go Jets!

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Agree with the overthinking. This was also a big issue when Maurice was here.
We need 12 forwards like Eyssemont who just go full out each shift.
No coincidence that we’ve gone into a skid since that type of mentality has taken a back seat.
Right now we’re playing not to make mistakes. That’s what killed us the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad