GDT: Game 62: Red Wings at avs 9:30 pm et 3/6/24 (TNT, MAX)

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Seider is “fine” but he’s not an elite defenseman. I think a lot of the praise he gets is unearned.
No, I would not say unearned. It just came to quick and easily for him; too many accolades too soon. Now, he didn't improve in year 2 but he didn't regress to a sophomore slop per se and now it's a similar season to last year with more defensive errors. So, let's call it a sophomore/ junior sluggish development. But I firmly believe he has elite potential and anyone who has already anointed him so, is getting ahead of themselves. I do think he is a #1 in this league right now, as there are not 20 better.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
So what's a better recipe for defensive success? (not making an indictment of Ludwig here)

A big dipshit D man that can't move the puck but can hit, poke check, and has incredible gap control, or a guy that gets the puck out of the Defensive zone and keeps it in the offensive zone?
Yeah now!! I see you say no indictment against luds, but immediately follow that up with big dipshit who can't pass. He came into a team with Larry Robinson and then added chis chelios, so he didn't need to do that much. Later won a second cup with subov. Maybe you need both?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
You answered your own question, ha. I look at Reimer from the point of view of a competitive hockey player. Reimer has a good game once out of every 10, but he's otherwise the kind of goalie you, as a skater, have to change your game to help protect from scoring chances. He's a wildcard. I have no doubt the Wings skaters have very little faith in the guy. It's pretty sad the Wings were in a position last off-season where they actually needed to sign the guy. In a vacuum, he's the kind of goalie I would never in a million years add to the team.
Well, it's not really about answering a question about do you leave him in or concede the game.
It's about him potentially getting shell shocked and losing all confidence in himself. Or even wrose letting him start to feel like he has to over compensate for a suspect defense. Think back to
When we did that to Roy and it bit us in tge ass.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Well, it's not really about answering a question about do you leave him in or concede the game.
It's about him potentially getting shell shocked and losing all confidence in himself. Or even wrose letting him start to feel like he has to over compensate for a suspect defense. Think back to
When we did that to Roy and it bit us in tge ass.
I don't think Lyon allowing 5 goals on 39 shots through two periods with Detroit down 3 (technically still in the game) is quite the same as Roy allowing 9 goals through 32 minutes and being down by 8 (a massive blowout with zero chance of coming back). Lyon was playing well enough, there wasn't any risk of him being demoralized like that. The risk in leaving him in was wearing him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad