GDT: Game 61: Red Wings vs cats 3:00 pm et 3/2/24 (ESPN+, ABC)

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
That's why that loss to the Isles was so bad.. can't lose games vs teams trying to catch up to you.
Nope, but we do have another game with them, we are still in a good spot, the team needs to finish in front of either Philly or NYI to get in, even playing 0.500 from here out gets them to 93 points, looking at the schedule, adding a few more should be doable barring any major injuries or the wheels falling off. What we are seeing is the modern day version of the early 90's wings, it takes time to build that year in year out contender, but I do see the similarities and the pieces (painfully) slowly coming together.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Just watched the replay. Ouch. The Wings were outclassed but still in it 'til 3-0. I liked the playoff game feel, and I liked the grit they showed. I would've liked a couple of those posts to go in, that's all.

Debrincat, must lead the league in hitting crossbars and goal posts.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Panthers have won 21 of last 24 against Detroit, with a +49 goal differential.

WTF?! o_O
This honestly shouldn't be news. Whenever we play the panthers, it never works out. Most of it was because of barkov and especially trochek. Now, they have tkachuk to take trochek's spot with adding some assholishness

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah I don't really get the rules at all, we have seen Mo stand there, not retaliate while eating punches and get offsetting minors. Or retaliate and get the extra. Either way you're screwed.

I guess that's the strat, use the incompetence of the NHL reffing.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah I don't really get the rules at all, we have seen Mo stand there, not retaliate while eating punches and get offsetting minors. Or retaliate and get the extra. Either way you're screwed.

I guess that's the strat, use the incompetence of the NHL reffing.

Totally. React like a hockey player to a butt end to the stomach and go after the guy and you risk getting a 2 minute penalty. But if Walman drops like he's been shot to the stomach there, Tkachuk might get a penalty.

Rats like Tkachuk and Cousins thrive in that space between competent officiating and on ice policing that isn't really allowed anymore.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

interesting.

I didn't see the seider one with cousins. Honestly, this was the perfect game for the wings players to be a part of because they were in it for a bit even when we were down 2-0, but they out hustled us all game and those little antics will always mess with non-playoff experience players. This is why we need to get there so these guys can experience it as much as possible. Then, those things won't bother them as much.

I will say, the cousins one would piss me off a lot more than what tkachuk did. I probably would have let tkachuk keep gliding away instead of the semi-challenging walman did, but the hook to my wrist would of set me off. Seider messed up though, he slashed the guy in the shin pad, that isn't going to do anything. At least hit him in the side of the knee or go after him to try and get co-minor penalties of roughing or something. That is, if your going to do something about it. I guess he could have just let it go, but I wouldn't have to be fair. It's the ones that you don't see happening or coming that add a little more frustration to the mix

Reactions: dalem177

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The league officiating office needs to watch this on repeat. It's such a joke.
I'll preface this with I agree completely, but what would they do with this information? I mean, this has been happening in hockey (more specifically playoffs) since I can remember. They aren't going to take that out of the league.

I will say, the fact that Seider got the penalty is where you should be the most annoyed because yeah he retaliated and that's what always gets the penalty, but these refs have to be more vigilant in watching play away from the puck with certain teams. Florida, at least since last year, has been this kind of team. San Jose back in 2010-2013 or so was that kind of team too, but they mainly did it in the playoffs I believe.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I'll preface this with I agree completely, but what would they do with this information? I mean, this has been happening in hockey (more specifically playoffs) since I can remember. They aren't going to take that out of the league.

I will say, the fact that Seider got the penalty is where you should be the most annoyed because yeah he retaliated and that's what always gets the penalty, but these refs have to be more vigilant in watching play away from the puck with certain teams. Florida, at least since last year, has been this kind of team. San Jose back in 2010-2013 or so was that kind of team too, but they mainly did it in the playoffs I believe.
Don't forget the Ducks from 2006-2010 or so. I'll never forget the double team hit on Holmstrom into the glass causing a laceration on his forehead

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I'm with those who say that last game - and I was watching with a buddy I'm trying to turn into a hockey fan so I skipped to the end at 3-0 so I missed all the fun parts - is exactly the kind of game the current Wings team needs to suck up and learn from and emulate.

Pink a guy on the glove then smile and skate away. Every. Effing. Shift. And when they do it too, smile and skate away. Dirty stuff? Oh yeah, put 'em through the glass, but if they want to be in the big leagues, they have to BE big league.

IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad