GDT: GAME 61: HABS @ BOLTS | Napoleonic Warfare | Sat. March 2, 2024, 7PM ET -- CBC, CITY, TVAS, TSN690, 98.5FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
MSL decided that February had to end in a bang.

So, he designated Monty to start the games from the 27th and 29th of February. And of course, Monty delivered and was a factor in the team collecting three points out of a possible 4. But toward what end?

Just like Napoleon in 1804, Marty edicted that he needed to expand and consolidate his power via delusion -- by dubbing himself the head coach of a team vying for the playoffs.

CFXKBXh.png

Emperor Marty, like Napoleon, had the sudden realization that this was the time to build fortifications. He envisaged all of the advantages of being able to rely on a wall.

fj3P0rg.gif

Not content with a simple wall, Emperor Marty proceeded with plans to have a bastioned fort erected as a frontal opposition to the enemy -- Fort Bavard.

Holding that fort would be a fast-talkin' snacker, who bought lock, stock and barrel into Emperor Marty's delusions.

All par for the course, as @SwiftyHab noted following the Habs' shootout loss to the Panthers on Thursday, "Monty’s retirement plan is to be a full time auctioneer." And of course, that auction house shall be Maison Bavard ...

ZUxUYIn.gif

Some of us have noticed that during a PP, Matheson seems to completely ignore Slaf to the extent that he'll never pass the puck to him. Turns out that no one even knows when Matheson last passed it to Slaf.

We have thus considered that this merited further investigation.

Further to having conducted extensive data-mining and analysis, we are now in a position to confirm our findings.

egGQTyG.jpg

Luckily, Marty seems to have come back down to Earth for tonight's tilt against the Bolts, designating Optimus Prime as his starter.

89y65Fz.gif

We're not quite sure what made Colin White a first round pick however, he seems as bland a player as they come.

As if it weren't enough that he came to the Habs with the stench of being an ex-Ottawa Senator, the guy looks homeless and unkempt and if it weren't for Hughes rescuing him from a shelter, he might have just been continuing to live under a bridge, among ferrets and trolls.

kHSRX2M.png

Ugh ... Colin, when the Habs season will be officially over, please make sure you know where the exit is. Also, don't forget to take this guy with you -- someone who hasn't recorded a shot on net in his last 4 games and who hasn't scored a goal in his last 15 games.

Qr0Yqm0.gif

LINEUPS

Bb6ZotS.gif

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Will be enthusiastically watching as always woot!

(Still no like button I must have really been a bad boy)

4 games no shots? My gosh… Another guy wants to stay in Mtl ahead of the deadline. The rumors players don’t like mtl sure taking a hit.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Will be enthusiastically watching as always woot!

(Still no like button I must have really been a bad boy)

4 games no shots? My gosh… Another guy wants to stay in Mtl ahead of the deadline. The rumors players don’t like mtl sure taking a hit.

They actually took away your "like" button? :laugh:

What did you do? Must have been trolling the Leafs fans :sarcasm:

Awesome GDT as usual @Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
After watching Ottawa continue it's loser ways I understand why MSL works to not allow that mentality into his team's mindset. Rebuilding requires alot of pieces including instilling a winning attitude.
Look at Buffalo for instance...Two 1OA picks since 2018 and it has barely moved the needle in their rebuild.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
After watching Ottawa continue it's loser ways I understand why MSL works to not allow that mentality into his team's mindset. Rebuilding requires alot of pieces including instilling a winning attitude.
Look at Buffalo for instance...Two 1OA picks since 2018 and it has barely moved the needle in their rebuild.
Totally. I don’t know how they would even evaluate the team if they didn’t stress it to try and win. 82 games is so long, imagine if Suzuki and Monty just mailed it in… What a depressive environment for the young players to grow in.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
They actually took away your "like" button? :laugh:

What did you do? Must have been trolling the Leafs fans :sarcasm:

Awesome GDT as usual @Runner77

lol, I will be keeping my posts to hockey… I think the mods had a hard time with the sexual assault threads and certain horrible world events I won’t mention. Some things make me lose my cool, and I should just be thankful I get to escape it all sometimes with y’all here and on game nights :)

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
MSL decided that February had to end in a bang.

So, he designated Monty to start the games from the 27th and 29th of February. And of course, Monty delivered and was a factor in the team collecting three points out of a possible 4. But toward what end?

Just like Napoleon in 1804, Marty edicted that he needed to expand and consolidate his power via delusion -- by dubbing himself the head coach of a team vying for the playoffs.

CFXKBXh.png

Emperor Marty, like Napoleon, had the sudden realization that this was the time to build fortifications. He envisaged all of the advantages of being able to rely on a wall.

fj3P0rg.gif

Not content with a simple wall, Emperor Marty proceeded with plans to have a bastioned fort erected as a frontal opposition to the enemy -- Fort Bavard.

Holding that fort would be a fast-talkin' snacker, who bought lock, stock and barrel into Emperor Marty's delusions.

All par for the course, as @SwiftyHab noted following the Habs' shootout loss to the Panthers on Thursday, "Monty’s retirement plan is to be a full time auctioneer." And of course, that auction house shall be Maison Bavard ...

ZUxUYIn.gif

Some of us have noticed that during a PP, Matheson seems to completely ignore Slaf to the extent that he'll never pass the puck to him. Turns out that no one even knows when Matheson last passed it to Slaf.

We have thus considered that this merited further investigation.

Further to having conducted extensive data-mining and analysis, we are now in a position to confirm our findings.

egGQTyG.jpg

Luckily, Marty seems to have come back down to Earth for tonight's tilt against the Bolts, designating Optimus Prime as his starter.

89y65Fz.gif

We're not quite sure what made Colin White a first round pick however, he seems as bland a player as they come.

As if it weren't enough that he came to the Habs with the stench of being an ex-Ottawa Senator, the guy looks homeless and unkempt and if it weren't for Hughes rescuing him from a shelter, he might have just been continuing to live under a bridge, among ferrets and trolls.

kHSRX2M.png

Ugh ... Colin, when the Habs season will be officially over, please make sure you know where the exit is. Also, don't forget to take this guy with you -- someone who hasn't recorded a shot on net in his last 4 games and who hasn't scored a goal in his last 15 games.

Qr0Yqm0.gif

LINEUPS TBA

Bb6ZotS.gif
So far this season, we’re playing under 500 but the GDT is undefeated!

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This is the danger with the losing attitude. It sticks for decades. Bruins never had that bad habit and Kings turned 180 degree to become pro-active and being part of the teams who makes the PO.

Reactions: Tyson

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Primeau in nets is seen as a tank/help my former team make the playoffs move from MSL but he forgot he is superman ooopsie. 4-2 Habs.

Reactions: Pomee

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
That’s six top ten picks on their current roster since 2017. Crazy when you think of their results

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That’s six top ten picks on their current roster since 2017. Crazy when you think of their results
At Antichambre someone said losing like that losing for rebuilt works one time out of 8. Look at the teams who constantly lose for years and years, how many improved?
Beware of tankers. By chance I beleive having MSL who is built with a winning mentality could bring the Habs to a winning mode some day.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
At Antichambre someone said losing like that losing for rebuilt works one time out of 8. Look at the teams who constantly lose for years and years, how many improved?
Beware of tankers. By chance I beleive having MSL who is built with a winning mentality could bring the Habs to a winning mode some day.
Spot on my man. A lot of people laughed at the importance we put on character and culture, but you nailed it. Once you accept losing, it’s downhill from there. Results aside in a rebuild, the mindset is key- to both performance and development

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
IMO the right coach is necessary to get players through a rebuild. But the rebuild will only result in a contender with a great management team. They have to be able to put together the right mix of players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Show me the numbers for 1 out of 8.

And by the way, you know how many teams win the cup recovery year ? 1 out of 32. So even if it were 1 out 8, that's better than 1 out of 32.

It would interesting to go back over the last 8 cup winners and see which ones had to finish at the bottom multiple years to get the players they needed to win the cup.
Vegas doesn't count, because they did great things, but with the new expansion rules.

Next
-2022 Colorado - were at the bottom of the league and painfully bad multiple years which allowed them to get Mackinon, Ladeskog, Rantanen, Byram, and Makar (one of those was acquired in the Duchene trade, but they got Duchene by being at the bottom of the league).

-2021, 2020 Tampa- were at the bottom multiple years and got Hedman and Stamkos, (and Sergachev via Drouin) that way, from the multiple top draft picks they had.

- 2019 St Louis - the exception - went on a miracle run then promptly went back to medioctity.

- 2018 Washington - Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc.. they don't win a cup without those, whom they got during an era when they were painfully bad for multiple years in a row.

- 2017, 2016, 2009 - were at the bottom the league so long that they picked 1st or 3rd overall multiple years in a row to get Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, and Fleury. Look up the word tanking in the dictionary and you'll see this Penguins dynasty.

- 2015, 2013, 2010 Chicago Another dynasty built by tanking: Kane, Toews, Seabrook, etc...

-2014, 2012 L.A. Doughty, Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Schenn(used to get Carter and Richards). were horrendous for many years (missed the playoffs 7 years in a row to get these players).

That's 7 out of 8 of the last cup winners were tankers. That is 1 out of 8 weren't tankers. (Excluding the vegas model which we're not eligible for).

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Show me the numbers for 1 out of 8.

And by the way, you know how many teams win the cup recovery year ? 1 out of 32. So even if it were 1 out 8, that's better than 1 out of 32.

It would interesting to go back over the last 8 cup winners and see which ones had to finish at the bottom multiple years to get the players they needed to win the cup.
Vegas doesn't count, because they did great things, but with the new expansion rules.

Next
-2022 Colorado - were at the bottom of the league and painfully bad multiple years which allowed them to get Mackinon, Ladeskog, Rantanen, Byram, and Makar (one of those was acquired in the Duchene trade, but they got Duchene by being at the bottom of the league).

-2021, 2020 - were at the bottom multiple years and got Hedman and Stamkos, (and Sergachev via Drouin) that way, from the multiple top draft picks they had.

- 2019 St Louis - the exception - went on a miracle run then promptly went back to medioctity.

- 2018 Washington - Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc.. they don't win a cup without those, whom they got during an era when they were painfully bad for multiple years in a row.

- 2017, 2016, 2009 - were at the bottom the league so long that they picked 1st or 3rd overall multiple years in a row to get Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, and Fleury. Look up the word tanking in the dictionary and you'll see this Penguins dynasty.

- 2015, 2013, 2010 Chicago Another dynasty built by tanking: Kane, Toews, Seabrook, etc...

-2014, 2012 L.A. Doughty, Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Schenn(used to get Carter and Richards). were horrendous for many years (missed the playoffs 7 years in a row to get these players).
Whether it is deliberate tanking or inadvertantly being bad for years due to terrible management most Cup winners and probably all multiple winners emerged from there.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Spot on my man. A lot of people laughed at the importance we put on character and culture, but you nailed it. Once you accept winning, it’s downhill from there. Results aside in a rebuild, the mindset is key- to both performance and development
....good thing we haven't embraced this winning thing then! Not downhill for us!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There is something about this eh......................the Sabres should be better, the Sens should be better....it has taken some teams forever to come out of the bottom, and some just don't.

We need the right mindset and development to take place........

On a curious note for the game, when was the last time we actually won down in Tampa?
Geez, we never win down there.................why do I think Huet was the goalie last time we beat these guys down there??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad