GDT: Game 60: Columbus at New York Rangers | 2/26 5PM

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My question is this....

If PLDs season ends early enough can we call him up for the playoffs? (if we're still playing)

I think we could but it makes no sense to me to do it. He's not going to play so unless he would just to be around to soak up the atmosphere I see no chance. Maybe Cleveland if they are still playing.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I think we could but it makes no sense to me to do it. He's not going to play so unless he would just to be around to soak up the atmosphere I see no chance. Maybe Cleveland if they are still playing.

The last playoff run, the team brought Wennberg in to be with the team during the series. He did not occupy a roster spot, but they wanted him around to see......watch......feel, playoff hockey.

A fine idea if the opportunity presents itself for PLD. But The B-B Armada look poised for their own playoff work.

Jacket Junkie

Mar 26, 2006
Nationwide Areena
Say what you may about the offense and goal scoring, but I for one thought that game was won by our goalie:"Bob the Baconator". Dude saved a ton of bacon to keep the Strangers from getting any momentum or thoughts of making a comeback. D was average, cept Savard of course.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The last playoff run, the team brought Wennberg in to be with the team during the series. He did not occupy a roster spot, but they wanted him around to see......watch......feel, playoff hockey.

A fine idea if the opportunity presents itself for PLD. But The B-B Armada look poised for their own playoff work.

And it looks possible that PLD would face Abramov in the first round.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I didn't see anything over the weekend, that I didn't see from the team in January and early February.

The difference was that we did it for 40-50 minutes a night, as opposed to 20-30 minutes.

When you win 2 periods on the ice, and have strong goal tending, you'll win 75% of the time and that is where we were in December and hopefully where we are again.

Stay healthy, stay focused, and this team can make some noise in the post season.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
It'd be nice to see Pens fall to WC1 and have a CBJ/Ranger matchup first round. CBJ have averaged 4.4 goals per game vs Rangers, gone 3-2 (but could've been 4-1 if not for McBackup breakdown). NYR's game is really just wide open offense, which can outscore most teams most nights, but CBJ having 4 scoring lines that include a 4th line of Harnell/Gagner/Saad are one of a few teams that can outgun Rangers. I think CBJ had more breakaways and 2on1's yesterday than probably previous 8 games combined.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I made positive comments during the game. Torts and Bob were noticeably upset at the goal. If Torts mentions it early in his PC, then it's pretty significant. It was almost a 60 minute game, Murray just forgot to play the last second.

Fair enough, and I don't like to bust people, but I was just surprised to see that comment after the game. The last second goal was one of those "only against NY" things, just like giving up 4 goals in the 3rd with a 6-0 lead. I do think this game showed some growth that one of the guys noted in the locker room afterward... NY scores and discipline slips leading to more goals. Other than that burp at the very end the Jackets really didn't give them many chances in the 3rd and that was good to see compared to previous games against the Rags. Rags are a strong, winning team and to see Columbus play that way against them was very encouraging. Really, Columbus has been very good against them all year, they just lost poise in a few games that led to home L's. Rags have been doing that to other teams as well.

Last edited:

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
BTW, without Bob and with the Jackets burying some other chances this game could have been 8-4 Jackets. Jackets had a ton of quality chances marred by guys overthinking stuff, a rolling puck, that incredible save when Werenski had the open net, Saad's penalty shot, etc. Bob was really good tonight, especially in the first half of the contest when they really needed him.

I really wish they would show not just SOG, but quality shots (there's a term Torts uses for it that I can't recall). Jackets had under 30 SOG as a I recall but a large number of quality chances. I always think back to the Arniel days with 40+ SOG w/about 3 quality shots and 25 shots from the blue line into the goalie's stomach.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
I really wish they would show not just SOG, but quality shots (there's a term Torts uses for it that I can't recall). Jackets had under 30 SOG as a I recall but a large number of quality chances. I always think back to the Arniel days with 40+ SOG w/about 3 quality shots and 25 shots from the blue line into the goalie's stomach.

Sounds like that would be difficult to track and quantify in real time.

Related: I can't stand when a hockey broadcast doesn't include the shot total on the on-screen score bug.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sounds like that would be difficult to track and quantify in real time.

Related: I can't stand when a hockey broadcast doesn't include the shot total on the on-screen score bug.

I prefer if they don't show it. If you're watching the game then you know who is having the better run of the play, and you'll know better than the shot clock can tell you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad