GDT: Game 6: Coyotes @ Stars - 5:30 PM - FSAZ - 10/17/17

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
All for sending Dvo down for Strome if he doesnt improve his game by the end of the upcpming roadtrip. Still too early, but he has signs of Chipatitus right now.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Just kinda have to scrub out the half decade of miserable failure that sits between today and all of those great things you referenced, right? Tocchet's list of desirable accomplishments is just a tad more recent, wouldn't you say?

Tocc's recent accomplishments are great, as an assistant, on a stacked veteran roster with 2 of the best players in the game. None of that insures you will be a good head coach.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Tocc's recent accomplishments are great, as an assistant, on a stacked veteran roster with 2 of the best players in the game. None of that insures you will be a good head coach.

A scarecrow could coach the Pittsburgh Penguins to a cup win. They have that good of a roster.

Tocchet said all the things we (when I say "we" I mean HF posters; my limited experience with other Coyotes fans outside of HF tells me that a lot of Coyotes fans were upset about this summer's changes even though on HF we were hailing them) wanted to hear, but he has yet to deliver on his promises. Still though, I think it's fair enough to give the personnel and staff around 20 games before hitting the panic button. I said that before the season started (maybe not on here, or maybe I did, I can't remember), and I stand by that opinion.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Surprisingly, I don't think that either Stepan or Dvorak have looked quite as bad as people say that they have. I think we just have so little of a game plan in the offensive zone that it looks like everyone struggles badly. We go for the quick strike but don't really have the follow-up once the puck stays in the offensive zone.

Keller is the only one who looks like he tracks where the puck is going to and picks up some nice little giveaways, but it could be at the expense of getting out of position, at times.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dvorak should honestly be sent the the AHL but we don't have any depth to cover. I wish we signed Burmistrov. We need to put a claim in for the next halfway passable center that hits waivers.

All we need is Dvorak and Stepan to play up to their capabilities and we are fine. No need to start dumpster diving. Bring Strome back up. Kempe at C with a 20 FO% is more than disgusting.

Reactions: RemoAZ

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Surprisingly, I don't think that either Stepan or Dvorak have looked quite as bad as people say that they have.

I think that's mostly right, but Stepan did have a few rough games against Boston and Detroit. I do think he needs to be better but well who doesn't at this point except 2-3 players.

For Dvorak, he's not showing the same flair for offensive creativity or getting into position for shots like he was at the end of last year.
He's also not winning faceoffs at the rate he was at the end last year. I certainly don't think he needs to go to the AHL. I think he's been fine in the other 2 zones and it's only been 6 games so panicking on the offensive side isn't the way to go.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think that's mostly right, but Stepan did have a few rough games against Boston and Detroit. I do think he needs to be better but well who doesn't at this point except 2-3 players.

For Dvorak, he's not showing the same flair for offensive creativity or getting into position for shots like he was at the end of last year.
He's also not winning faceoffs at the rate he was at the end last year. I certainly don't think he needs to go to the AHL. I think he's been fine in the other 2 zones and it's only been 6 games so panicking on the offensive side isn't the way to go.

Antti Raanta, Clayton Keller, and Niklas Hjalmarsson. That qualifies as 2-3 since Raanta has been injured so it's debateable if he "counts" at this point :P

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think he's been fine in the other 2 zones and it's only been 6 games so panicking on the offensive side isn't the way to go.

What probably should be done is reshuffling the lines a bit based on performance. Of course, 10 games would be a better point to do such a thing, but I could see the following (by performance):
Domi - Keller - Duclair
Crouse - Cousins - Rieder
Kempe - Dvorak - Stepan
Martinook - Richardson - Rinaldo​

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Surprisingly, I don't think that either Stepan or Dvorak have looked quite as bad as people say that they have. I think we just have so little of a game plan in the offensive zone that it looks like everyone struggles badly. We go for the quick strike but don't really have the follow-up once the puck stays in the offensive zone.

Keller is the only one who looks like he tracks where the puck is going to and picks up some nice little giveaways, but it could be at the expense of getting out of position, at times.

I don't think Stepan has played like a #1 C at all. He doesn't give up the puck and that is about all, but I think he can be much better. Like some one mentioned we should tell Dvorak the season has started as there is no urgency to his game, and we all have seen better from him as well.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I am not really hoping for much in the next two games (Stars/Blackhawks); however I am hoping that the 10 days Eastern road trip will help bring some team cohesion and spirit.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think Stepan has played like a #1 C at all. He doesn't give up the puck and that is about all, but I think he can be much better. Like some one mentioned we should tell Dvorak the season has started as there is no urgency to his game, and we all have seen better from him as well.

Well, we have seen better from everyone on the roster before.

That's where I have been saying that it seems like we don't really have a purpose to our offense once we establish possession in the offensive zone. There was a large concern with the transition of the puck into the offensive zone and we have gotten better at that, but then we don't look like we are working together very well to establish some good cycling and working the corners to get players out of position. We've forced some giveaways, but it seems like once we get the puck, no one is really in a good position to further capitalize on the created turnover. We are moving the puck, but not really creating enough mismatches off of that. I really think that is the main issue, and as a result, players like Stepan and Dvorak wind up looking far worse that what they are. You could say that about a lot of players - Domi hasn't looked his normal self. Duclair has gotten some better games in than last year and looks engaged, but I still see some issues defensively with coverage for him (and for the record, that also applies to most of the team).

Keller appears to be the only exception in terms of his ability to go to where the puck is headed. He reacts well. The other players don't, and I know our old system was more read and react, but the reactions have become less obvious and we don't look ready to react, in some cases.

Just a lot of concerning things that I want to pin more on the players, but even when we play a halfway decent game, there is a lack of something within the structure that I can't put my finger on, and I firmly believe that it starts with what we may be placing importance on in coaching.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Dvorak is going through the sophomore slump. Domi went through it last season.
Huh?? Domi had the third most points on the team last year while playing in TWENTY+ less games. His ppg his rookie year was .6419, last year was .6440. Dvorak to me is playing too tentative and has no confidence after playing last year in 78 games.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I've never considered him a solidly #1 center. He's a fringe #1 guy. We used to have a fringe #2 as a #1 so I'll take the upgrade. But Stepan isn't going to be transformational to this team even at his best.
Most of you guys did. And you were laughing at me when I told you that Stepan is just a 2nd line shutdown Center. It's why giving up DeAngelo plus the top pick for him and a backup was that stupid.
I like Stepan but it is exactly like I told you. He's not a creative guy. He needs playmakers on his line or he's not gonna score. Coyotes have only one such winger (Domi) which just doesn't do it. Keller just has to go. He's not good enough. 68,1% offensive zone starts and he's still on the ice for just about every goal scored against the Coyotes. How he's "only" -7 is an absolute miracle to me. Apart from the PP he's truely terrible. One way ticket to Tucson alongside some other AHL players like Connauton or Cousins would at least be a start...

Still not a fan of this coaching staff. There doesn't seem to be much of a plan or a system. Dreadful on ice management as well. Would be unfair to pin this on them though. This roster is beyond bad...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Who are you arguing with or trying to claim you were right against?

You're wildly mixing up narratives and probably concocting a few.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Getting Perlini back should help a bit. I hope he comes back soon and comes back healthy.

Same goes for Chychrun. If Goligoski is as bad in his next six games as he has been in his first six games, I think we need to strip him of his A and make him a healthy scratch when Chychrun returns. Connauton has been the better player between he and Goligoski this season.

I thought Cousins and Kempe and Rinaldo were effective last night. I haven't thought Kempe and Cousins have been very effective, even when they are eye catching. Nash has been fawning and drooling all over them even when their high energy was doing nothing to impact games. I think they ratcheted up the physical intensity of the game in a palpable way that focused our players effectively, and it a way that had been lacking since the first couple of games. I think they finally were able to use that energy effectively enough to actually advance possession and offensive zone time also. I think it has the makings of an okay 4th line. I just have a serious problem with any of them playing anything beyond those 4th line minutes.

If Crouse and Fischer continue to fail to establish themselves meaningfully in the offensive zone in the next half-dozen or so games they should be sent down to the minors. I'm not seeing progression in terms of effective offensive zone skills from these two. They play physically engaged games which is nice but we need them to develop into more than that. They should be allowed to go to the AHL and try to work on their offense. Especially if we're going to do nothing but lose games anyway.

Domi-Stepan-Keller
Perlini-Dvorak-Duclair
Nook-Richardson-Rieder
Rinaldo-Cousins-Kempe

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Who are you arguing with or trying to claim you were right against?

You're wildly mixing up narratives and probably concocting a few.
I think whoever will reply, or even acknowledge his post :sarcasm:

Same goes for Chychrun. If Goligoski is as bad in his next six games as he has been in his first six games, I think we need to strip him of his A and make him a healthy scratch when Chychrun returns. Connauton has been the better player between he and Goligoski this season.
Goose has still had rough moments but I think he's been better each game. He still has some incredible wtf moments, but they're getting less frequent. I'd rather have him in than Connauton for sure, but Chychrun should definitely take his spot on the 2nd pairing.

Demers has been much better after his terrible start too. He also had one oh God what are you doing moment last night, but he's been pretty solid overall lately imo.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Nobody seems to know their positioning or their responsibility on any given play. That's all on the coaches.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've never considered him a solidly #1 center. He's a fringe #1 guy. We used to have a fringe #2 as a #1 so I'll take the upgrade. But Stepan isn't going to be transformational to this team even at his best.

Correct, but he is #1 here.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I just don't get adding less talented guys to improve the team. That's the shooting for average direction we've had for years. I say get the talent in the lineup and freaking coach and develop them up. Didn't we get a new coaching staff to develop the young talent? These guys all have the ability to play in the NHL now. They just need the experience only ice time and coaching can give them.

Domi Stepan Keller
Perlini Strome Duclair
Crouse Dvo Fischer
Martinook Richardson Rieder

Give this lineup 15 to 20 games, see if they can gel and learn the system. Try to give the Strome line more offensive zone starts and the Richardson line more defensive. The Dvo line will be physical and the Stepan line has shown enough impressive flashes to let them continue to work on becoming a real first line. The defense is a mess. I have no faith in Goligoski and I just hope Demers and Hjalmarsson can be solid. Schenn is what he is and OEL will be fine. Need Chychrun back that's for sure. I'd imagine juggling the pairings every night is doing them no favors.

Reactions: _Del_ and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Did Goligoski just get paid, move to the sunshine and decide not to give a f*** at all? He's been a good player before. I've found him quite impressive when our team faced him. What the hell happened to this player? Why does this shit always happen to us?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Did Goligoski just get paid, move to the sunshine and decide not to give a **** at all? He's been a good player before. I've found him quite impressive when our team faced him. What the hell happened to this player? Why does this **** always happen to us?

I call it the Tony Amonte curse.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Did Goligoski just get paid, move to the sunshine and decide not to give a **** at all? He's been a good player before. I've found him quite impressive when our team faced him. What the hell happened to this player? Why does this **** always happen to us?

He started out last season as a total trainwreck but came back to play some decent hockey, IIRC. Between his and OEL's terrible, terrible starts, I gotta wonder if they simply forget how to play over the summer and have to relearn every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad