GDT: Game #6 | Blues @ Lightning | "YOU COULD HAVE BEEN 5-0!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Hopefully Steen is back on Wednesday. Plus they need to keep Jaskin and PRV off the same line, it's freaking brutal to the team and their Center.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
The whole sequence just before the last TB penalty was hilarious. We basically begged them to score on the empty net.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Not exactly hyped about playing the Hawks Wednesday. Other than finally getting a legitimate rest, the team is flailing in the deep end of the pool right now.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
With six guys on the ice, you would think at least one would be in a position to offer a low/mid slot deflection option for a guy walking down the outside.

I'm sorry, but having Parayko pound un-screened shots into a square goalie is simply not a recipe for PP success.

He needs to work it out. It looked like passes to him was too quick and he didn't get right position for 1-timer. Same what happened with Laine - Byfuglien in last year. Timing is everything in 1-timers and it needs to be sync with the guy who is passing and the guy who is shooting the puck.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Three days without Blues hockey coming up. Showdown at Scottrade with the Hawks up next. Fingers crossed that Steen plays on Wednesday.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
He needs to work it out. It looked like passes to him was too quick and he didn't get right position for 1-timer. Same what happened with Laine - Byfuglien in last year. Timing is everything in 1-timers and it needs to be sync with the guy who is passing and the guy who is shooting the puck.
A one-timer is generally just a tool to get the puck to the net on the PP. Very few players are skilled enough to make that a go-to goal scoring weapon in and of itself.

You release the shot before the defense can rotate over and get set in the lane to block it, and the shot is (hopefully) hard enough that the goalie can't control the rebound. I wouldn't say Parayko's one-timer is the ideal weapon to that end. The accuracy just isn't there at this point.

A deflection on net (from the middle or the side) is at least as effective as a goal scoring tool, is generally more likely to hit the net, and is also likely to generate an uncontrolled rebound. With six guys out there against four defenders, there should be no way the defense can tie up everyone's sticks effectively while still keeping the puck anywhere near the perimeter.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's not really surprising the 3rd line is essentially a non-factor. Almost all the third liners we have capable of having a real impact on the game is either injured or playing in our top 6 due to injuries. Can't expect anything significant from one third liner playing with two fourth liners.

It’s worse than that to me.

Sundqvist, Paajarvi, & Jaskin are all 4th line guys to me. That’s 3 4th line guys playing in the top 9. Sobotka & Barbashev are 3rd liner’s. This is a reason I’d advocate getting AA if the deal makes sense.

When Steen comes back.

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Steen Stastny AA
Sobotka Barbashev Blais

I’d lot rather see the above top 9 opposed to what is being iced now.

Sundqvist, Paajarvi, & Jaskin are just bodes taking turns on the ice. They’re not going to generate offense.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It’s worse than that to me.

Sundqvist, Paajarvi, & Jaskin are all 4th line guys to me. That’s 3 4th line guys playing in the top 9. Sobotka & Barbashev are 3rd liner’s. This is a reason I’d advocate getting AA if the deal makes sense.

When Steen comes back.

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Steen Stastny AA
Sobotka Barbashev Blais

I’d lot rather see the above top 9 opposed to what is being iced now.

Sundqvist, Paajarvi, & Jaskin are just bodes taking turns on the ice. They’re not going to generate offense.
And next year with Berglund and Fabbri healthy, and all of Barbashev, Blais, Thompson, Kostin, Thomas, Kyrou, and Sanford are one year more developed? Then what?

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Blais
Sobotka - Barbashev - Jaskin
Does - it - matter

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Parayko continues to disappoint. He has to be more aggressive both offensively & defensively. He’s letting the game play him instead of dictating the play.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
When Steen gets back I want to see him with Stastny, pick someone from the isle of misfit toys to play on the other wing and then deploy that line like Steen-Backes-Oshie. Keep tarasenko with Schwartz and Schenn and throw Tarasenko a few extra shifts here and there with Steen and Stastny

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm hoping our woes are just being amplified because of the plethora of injuries we have right now. I guess the one bright spot is that we are currently 4-2 and should only get better as guys come back.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Some bright spots from this game are Dunn is looking better and better, didn't catch the whole game tonight but it looked like his best game so far. Also Blais looks like he a solid NHL debut, if he can settle in and get in a groove hopefully he can stay in the lineup and put up some points.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blais looked fine, but is he really anything more than a 3rd liner on a playoff team? If thats what he is, thats fine, but is he more than that? Not sure.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
And next year with Berglund and Fabbri healthy, and all of Barbashev, Blais, Thompson, Thomas, Kyrou, and Sanford one year more developed? Then what?

Well, a top 10 pick would be protected. If the organization wants to tank this year I’d actually be on board. I could even make an argument that a top 5 pick next draft could be the best thing for the organization to shoot for.

Saying all that, it’s not what this organization will try to do. They’re going for the playoffs. Since that is the case landing AA won’t break the roster for next year.

I’ve stated before I believe this is Stastny’s last year as a Blue. Berglund could be traded as well next year as his NMC is only for this year.

Fabbri is a complete wild card to me. If he plays a substantial part of next season it would be a complete bonus to me.

There’s little doubt that Thomas, TT, Kyrou, Kostin, Blais, & Sanford will be competing for spots. That’s going to happen with or without AA. There’s only so many roster spots. If the organization finds that it’s overstocked in one area then make the smart decision and trade from that strength.

Army overall has done a good job. The end results with playoff runs are proof. He’s made questionable decisions and signing Berglund to his latest deal is the biggest head scratcher to me. The smart move is to realize the current roster and prospect depth and trade Berglund. It would be nice if Berglund would waive this year. The Blues could probably get a 1st from Pittsburgh.

Obviously it’s impossible to predict the roster for next year. I just can’t imagine that prognostication would stop the franchise from making a trade to help the team tomorrow.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
And snap, some on this board went crazy after the last two games.

Six games in and the Blues should be looking at a top-5 pick?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Well, a top 10 pick would be protected. If the organization wants to tank this year I’d actually be on board. I could even make an argument that a top 5 pick next draft could be the best thing for the organization to shoot for.

Saying all that, it’s not what this organization will try to do. They’re going for the playoffs. Since that is the case landing AA won’t break the roster for next year.

I’ve stated before I believe this is Stastny’s last year as a Blue. Berglund could be traded as well next year as his NMC is only for this year.

Fabbri is a complete wild card to me. If he plays a substantial part of next season it would be a complete bonus to me.

There’s little doubt that Thomas, TT, Kyrou, Kostin, Blais, & Sanford will be competing for spots. That’s going to happen with or without AA. There’s only so many roster spots. If the organization finds that it’s overstocked in one area then make the smart decision and trade from that strength.

Army overall has done a good job. The end results with playoff runs are proof. He’s made questionable decisions and signing Berglund to his latest deal is the biggest head scratcher to me. The smart move is to realize the current roster and prospect depth and trade Berglund. It would be nice if Berglund would waive this year. The Blues could probably get a 1st from Pittsburgh.

Obviously it’s impossible to predict the roster for next year. I just can’t imagine that prognostication would stop the franchise from making a trade to help the team tomorrow.
AA is a multi-year solution and would be priced as such. Assuming the decision is made that we need help this year, the Blues sure don't need it to be a multi-year solution. Getting a rental third liner at the deadline (or before) after you've had a chance to evaluate all the internal options is the easy and obvious solution. You might ask who will be available specifically, but it's a moot question. There's always rental third liners available at the deadline.

I think they'll try to re-sign Stastny. Who do they have who can replace him with any confidence in doing the job well? Nobody, really.

There's really no reason for the Blues to chase AA, regardless of whether they are going for it this year or not. It just creates unnecessary headaches for them.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
And snap, some on this board went crazy after the last two games.

Six games in and the Blues should be looking at a top-5 pick?

You’re misinterpreting the meaning behind what I said.

I’m not calling for the Blues to tank because they’re horrible. I don’t see the current roster (when healthy) as a serious contender. Anything can happen in the playoffs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad