GDT: Game #6 | Blues @ Lightning | "YOU COULD HAVE BEEN 5-0!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
You’re misinterpreting the meaning behind what I said.

I’m not calling for the Blues to tank because they’re horrible. I don’t see the current roster (when healthy) as a serious contender. Anything can happen in the playoffs though.
I wasn't really trying to single out you specifically. It's just that some others are posting some bizarre things tonight. I saw the "top-5" pick in passing without really looking at who said it.

So I apologize for reading it out of context.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
A one-timer is generally just a tool to get the puck to the net on the PP. Very few players are skilled enough to make that a go-to goal scoring weapon in and of itself.

You release the shot before the defense can rotate over and get set in the lane to block it, and the shot is (hopefully) hard enough that the goalie can't control the rebound. I wouldn't say Parayko's one-timer is the ideal weapon to that end. The accuracy just isn't there at this point.

A deflection on net (from the middle or the side) is at least as effective as a goal scoring tool, is generally more likely to hit the net, and is also likely to generate an uncontrolled rebound. With six guys out there against four defenders, there should be no way the defense can tie up everyone's sticks effectively while still keeping the puck anywhere near the perimeter.
If you practice it, it’s very easy to make it a go-to shot. That was what I was known for in in high school and college hockey. It even got me an invite to An ECHL team tryout and I was not some superskilled player.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If you practice it, it’s very easy to make it a go-to shot. That was what I was known for in in high school and college hockey. It even got me an invite to An ECHL team tryout and I was not some superskilled player.
If you don't mind me asking, which team asked you to try out and how long ago was it?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
There are a lot of players in the NHL today who have good one-timers, but how many of them score with it regularly on the PP from the circles or the point? Ovechkin? Stamkos (pre-injuries)? There are others, but not many...it's relatively rare, and usually something associated with elite scoring talents.

Very few successful PPs are built around setting up a guy to score with a one-timer from those areas. Washington is the obvious example. How many others? NHL goalies read the play well and get across the crease very fast, so the release, velocity, and accuracy all have to be there at that range to have a real chance at beating him. Most teams who feature one-timer from those areas are usually just hoping for the puck to hit the net and create a rebound.

I think guys like Parayko and Tarasenko can improve their one-timers, but right now there isn't really anyone on the Blues who has a one-timer that's worthy of being featured as a go-to PP weapon.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Yes, it does take a lot of practice, but you made it sound like only superskilled players can do it.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Yes, it does take a lot of practice, but you made it sound like only superskilled players can do it.
I think we have a bit of a disconnect. Most everyone in the NHL is super-skilled in the grand scheme of things. You would be hard pressed to find a regular NHL top 9 player who didn't have a good slap shot by lower level standards.

What I'm saying is that a "good" slap shot isn't good enough in the NHL to make you some sort of dangerous PP weapon from the circles or point. If anyone with a "good" slap shot could sit at the circles or point and routinely whip pucks on net for goals, we'd see that a heck of a lot more often than we actually do. The results kind of speak for themselves. It's not particularly easy to score that way, even for the best.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Currently Parayko's 1-timer isn't that dangerous,'cus they haven't work it out enough. I still compare Laine -Byfuglien duo last season. It didn't work out well at first. Parayko has tools for leathal 1-timer, but it needs time.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I've been a Jaskin supporter but I'm convinced now he's a head case. The ability is there but he has no upstairs firepower.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I've been a Jaskin supporter but I'm convinced now he's a head case. The ability is there but he has no upstairs firepower.

I've been as staunch of a Jaskin fan as this fan base can be, but I'm afraid you're right and that he is probably not going to pan out to be much in the NHL.

It's too bad because I had high hopes for him.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I've been as staunch of a Jaskin fan as this fan base can be, but I'm afraid you're right and that he is probably not going to pan out to be much in the NHL.

It's too bad because I had high hopes for him.

I've really liked Jaskin's play so far this season, he's playing a much better game than he used to imo. Like tonight he gained the zone and blew through 3 players before getting completely drilled off the puck because he didn't have any support.

Honestly, tonight was a game they were going to lose, when it's all said and done. Tampa is the toughest team in the Atlantic in my opinion. To have kept it this close was a pretty decent result considering. Yeo needs to realize he's inhibiting Tarasenko by not putting him with Schenn and Schwartz. Put Steen and Stastny together on the second line and try Blais or Jaskin on that line. The Blues need to make a trade, get the ball rolling on another winger. With trading their first rounder, this season needs to be somewhat of an "all in" for the team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Blues definitely will need to pickup a top 9 forward to bump Jaskin down to the 4th line because that's all he is.

Even when Berglund comes back, we still may need one other guy.

This is the price we pay for Fabbri's unfortunate injury. We will need outside help because we don't currently have the depth to sustain this. Not enough secondary scoring.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Concerning one timers, Hull's was the greatest I have ever seen and, obviously, it was a scoring weapon. In today's NHL, Ovi and Laine have really nice, elite one timers.

A less than elite one timer (which I would define as not perfectly placed but still is released in a bang-bang fashion) still has great utility. As Easton pointed out, it can result in a goal or rebound b/c the shot is released before the goalie is set and square. If the shot is released while the goalie is moving, there is a greater likelihood that he will allow an "easy" goal or that he won't be able to control the rebound.

I don't think there is anyone on the Blues, apart from Schenn and perhaps Tank, who consistently execute a good one timer. The bugaboo with most of our players is that they hesitate and, in sum, it's not even a one timer if you hesitate. The hesitation allows the goalie to get set and square. I am encouraged by what I've seen from Schenn in this area. He at least shows the inclination to shoot quickly directly off the pass.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think if Fabbri has remained healthy giving us a 1st line of Fabbri-Stastny-Tarasenko that would would not be having any of these concerns or questions even with the other injuries. Aside from Schwartz we simply do not have someone that can play LW for Vladdi effectively beside Fabbri. So unless we get an absolute superstar ( Tavares ) than we better hope our 3rd line once Steen, Berglund and Jaybo are back can do something besides be f***ing useless.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
There are a lot of players in the NHL today who have good one-timers, but how many of them score with it regularly on the PP from the circles or the point? Ovechkin? Stamkos (pre-injuries)? There are others, but not many...it's relatively rare, and usually something associated with elite scoring talents.

Very few successful PPs are built around setting up a guy to score with a one-timer from those areas. Washington is the obvious example. How many others? NHL goalies read the play well and get across the crease very fast, so the release, velocity, and accuracy all have to be there at that range to have a real chance at beating him. Most teams who feature one-timer from those areas are usually just hoping for the puck to hit the net and create a rebound.

I think guys like Parayko and Tarasenko can improve their one-timers, but right now there isn't really anyone on the Blues who has a one-timer that's worthy of being featured as a go-to PP weapon.
With our overall lack of depth I think we could set up a second unit with Parayko hammering the puck at the net and us hoping for deflections and rebounds. What other options do we have with that unit? It seems it might be one of our better options. I just wonder how effective it would be. Teams already know about his shot and we tend to telegraph our approach. Plus, who are the guys that set him up on the second unit? Sobotka? Barbashev? Dunn? That group isn’t really up to Backstrom standards. So, maybe we can expect a few goals from that unit over the course of the year.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Jaskin is unquestionably an NHL player and he's a good one. He's never going to light up the scoreboard but he is an effective guy and if Thorburn can last over a decade, there's no reason Jaskin can't. He may only be a 4th liner but every line has importance.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think if Fabbri has remained healthy giving us a 1st line of Fabbri-Stastny-Tarasenko that would would not be having any of these concerns or questions even with the other injuries. Aside from Schwartz we simply do not have someone that can play LW for Vladdi effectively beside Fabbri. So unless we get an absolute superstar ( Tavares ) than we better hope our 3rd line once Steen, Berglund and Jaybo are back can do something besides be ****ing useless.
Loosing Fabbri was the biggest dagger to this season. Maybe we can overcome the loss, but it is a massive loss no doubt.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Jaskin is unquestionably an NHL player and he's a good one. He's never going to light up the scoreboard but he is an effective guy and if Thorburn can last over a decade, there's no reason Jaskin can't. He may only be a 4th liner but every line has importance.

giphy.gif

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
needs to change.

Edit: Dizee pointed out the tweet saying the bottom 6 nly has 1 point through 6 games. I guess embedded tweets can't be quoted now?

It does, but I'm not too concerned about it right now. I'll start getting worried if this trend continues after Steen's return. Other than the incredibly limited icetime Sobotka had on the 3rd line, no one in the bottom 6 for us has been an 'above replacement' level 3rd line player. Barby/Sundqvist/Thompson/PRV have been the most common 3rd line players for us so far and they combined for 72 NHL games played last season. At this stage in their careers, none of those guys are capable of carrying a 3rd line in the NHL and I wouldn't say any of them are above average 3rd line players. There needs to be a bona fide NHL player on that line who can do some heavy lifting before I start criticizing NHL tweeners for not producing.

I don't think this is a roster construction issue and I don't think it is a systems issue. I think it's just the result of starting the year down an entire top 9 line and cobbling together a 3rd line out of guys who shouldn't be in the lineup on a nightly basis. Outside of maybe Barby, there isn't a single guy on our 3rd line who should be an everyday NHL player.

As for the 4th line, I don't expect offensive contribution more than every 4/5 games or so. I guess you can argue that we have passed that threshold, but I don't see any reason to believe that it won't even out ofver the course of the year. I think our 4th line has been largely fine and scoring will come when it comes from them. My only complaint with the 4th line has been Thorburn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 Minute Minor
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think we have a bit of a disconnect. Most everyone in the NHL is super-skilled in the grand scheme of things. You would be hard pressed to find a regular NHL top 9 player who didn't have a good slap shot by lower level standards.

What I'm saying is that a "good" slap shot isn't good enough in the NHL to make you some sort of dangerous PP weapon from the circles or point. If anyone with a "good" slap shot could sit at the circles or point and routinely whip pucks on net for goals, we'd see that a heck of a lot more often than we actually do. The results kind of speak for themselves. It's not particularly easy to score that way, even for the best.

To piggy back off of this, I would argue one of the biggest factors in the "danger" of the one timer is where the shot ends up being taken. Schwartz throwing a pass from the face off dot Tarasnenko sitting at the bottom of the circle is going to be higher quality chance that Pietrangelo going D to D with Parayko on the point. It's all about reaction times. The the lateral distance the puck travels may be roughly the same, but distance from the net plays a role too. The goalie is going to have a little bit more time to react, push and set himself to stop the shot from the point than he will from one at the bottom of the face off circle.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I think we should completely revamp the powerplay and just have Paajarvi attempt wraparounds for the entire duration. The opposing team will never expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad