GDT: Game 59: Red Wings vs caps 7:00 pm et 2/27/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
they've practiced together multiple times. Just because they are not playing with each other doesn't mean raymond isn't learning from kane. I don't want them playing together either because kane needs a pure shooter on the other side and raymond isn't that yet.

The whole point of wanting kane in my view, other than the obvious, was to mentor young players like raymond. Raymond is pretty smart, so he is going to watch kane play and try to play in a similar way since they play the same side on the wing and both have pretty good hockey iq. He is also holding the puck longer because he is learning the patience that kane shows. Yes the mass definitely helps, but you cannot sit here and tell me that Kane is not making a very large impact on a player like raymond.

This is one of the reasons why i wish berggren was up because he already has the passing skill and potential patience and being up in the nhl to practice, listen, and watch kane play would be crazy how good berggren could be.

Yeah, but the improvement in Ray's game was obvious before Kane even signed. He put up points on Compher's line. When he's with Compher, he knows he has to drive the play and shoot. Ray tends to defer to Larkin too much on the top line. He plays better with Compher, even when the points aren't there.

Having a player like Kane is nice and all, but I think you're overestimating his impact to the other forwards. for all we know, Raz' mean face could be motivating Ray, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

N0cturne

Jul 10, 2022
some of those passes he is starting to make is a direct result from signing kane.

That was the main reason I kept saying I wanted kane because we got a 21 year old superstar in the making and if you take a ridiculously sick superstar and they gel with a student/teacher relationship, raymond just might be one of the best swedish players of all time. Could be top 10 if he keeps going the way he's going.
Something I dont think was discussed enough prior to the signing. Many pointed out his experience and leadership, but winning three cups as a franchise player for an original 6 team gives him a different level of credibility and respect. Now our young guys are watching every move he makes, how he practices, how he trains, stretching, drills, skating, etc.

Being around players this great allows young talent to soak up knowledge organically. I think Raymonds pace, passing, patience, and overall decisiveness has grown a ton since Kaner arrived. He's been good all year but has taken his game to another level recently.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, but the improvement in Ray's game was obvious before Kane even signed. He put up points on Compher's line. When he's with Compher, he knows he has to drive the play and shoot. Ray tends to defer to Larkin too much on the top line. He plays better with Compher, even when the points aren't there.

Having a player like Kane is nice and all, but I think you're overestimating his impact to the other forwards. for all we know, Raz' mean face could be motivating Ray, lol.
i think your severely underestimating kane's ability to teach the younger players and making a pretty large impact on others. Yes raymond showed great tools before, but i think his level has elevated with who he gets to learn from.

I think lalonde has even said ray has been learning from kane. go back to arguing with @Snuggs , we are supposed to be cool ya know.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Something I dont think was discussed enough prior to the signing. Many pointed out his experience and leadership, but winning three cups as a franchise player for an original 6 team gives him a different level of credibility and respect. Now our young guys are watching every move he makes, how he practices, how he trains, stretching, drills, skating, etc.

Being around players this great allows young talent to soak up knowledge organically. I think Raymonds pace, passing, patience, and overall decisiveness has grown a ton since Kaner arrived. He's been good all year but has taken his game to another level recently.
This was and is my point and why I have been saying it since the rumors started of him wanting to come here. This is the exact reason why they put larkin next to zetterberg's stall. The same reason why zetterberg was next to lidstrom's stall. It is for you to learn from the ultimate professional on how/why they do things and get better.

This is why I was totally happy with all the FA signings this year. We insulate our younger players like raymond and seider to be around playoff driven players and raises their play. Then, slowly infuse the rookies (I was expecting this to happen around the trade deadline anyway with ed and berggren, so we shall see).

Interestingly enough, I think it has actually benefited seider a lot more than expected because he seems to be absolutely elated with anything kane does. He was the only one smacking the boards as they were leaving the ice and one of the few that hugged kane instead of fist bumping.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
some of those passes he is starting to make is a direct result from signing kane.

That was the main reason I kept saying I wanted kane because we got a 21 year old superstar in the making and if you take a ridiculously sick superstar and they gel with a student/teacher relationship, raymond just might be one of the best swedish players of all time. Could be top 10 if he keeps going the way he's going.

The more skill players the better, obviously. Everyone benefits from the addition of a player as good as Kane has been; other skill players are better able to get the most out of themselves, lesser players get put into roles better suited to what they can contribute.

But I'd be reluctant to give Kane much credit for what Raymond is doing. He came into camp this year a lot stronger. He had eight points in 10 October games, 10 points in 12 November games and two points in two games in December before Kane's first game for Detroit. The biggest improvements in Raymond's game IMO this year, and have been evident fom the beginning of the season, are his quick and relentless puck-hounding, back-checking and good decisions/execution in his own zone. His increased strength is noticeable in all aspects. His increased confidence has been noticeable all year.

The really great players aren't necessarily great teachers/mentors. They usually aren't. They do things other guys just can't do, and often have a hard time explaining what goes into being able to do what they do. I mean, he can tell and show other players in games that awareness of situations/teammates allows him to make instantaneous passes right to their sticks for easy goals, but they're not going to be suddenly able to do it themselves. Not saying Kane hasn't influenced Raymond to some extent, just think his play this season is almost entirely attributable to Raymond himself and what he's doing being validated by making a big contribution to a winning season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
i think your severely underestimating kane's ability to teach the younger players and making a pretty large impact on others. Yes raymond showed great tools before, but i think his level has elevated with who he gets to learn from.

I think lalonde has even said ray has been learning from kane. go back to arguing with @Snuggs , we are supposed to be cool ya know.

We're both speculating, but I think you're giving Kane too much credit and Raymond not enough. Raymond's the one who put the work in to bulk up all summer.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Dunno where to use this one. But I like it.

DLL40k.png

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The more skill players the better, obviously. Everyone benefits from the addition of a player as good as Kane has been; other skill players are better able to get the most out of themselves, lesser players get put into roles better suited to what they can contribute.

But I'd be reluctant to give Kane much credit for what Raymond is doing. He came into camp this year a lot stronger. He had eight points in 10 October games, 10 points in 12 November games and two points in two games in December before Kane's first game for Detroit. The biggest improvements in Raymond's game IMO this year, and have been evident fom the beginning of the season, are his quick and relentless puck-hounding, back-checking and good decisions/execution in his own zone. His increased strength is noticeable in all aspects. His increased confidence has been noticeable all year.

The really great players aren't necessarily great teachers/mentors. They usually aren't. They do things other guys just can't do, and often have a hard time explaining what goes into being able to do what they do. I mean, he can tell and show other players in games that awareness of situations/teammates allows him to make instantaneous passes right to their sticks for easy goals, but they're not going to be suddenly able to do it themselves. Not saying Kane hasn't influenced Raymond to some extent, just think his play this season is almost entirely attributable to Raymond himself and what he's doing being validated by making a big contribution to a winning season.

We're both speculating, but I think you're giving Kane too much credit and Raymond not enough. Raymond's the one who put the work in to bulk up all summer.
If i have given off the impression that i give all credit to kane then i guess i'll retract what was said.

What I am trying to say is having the best american born player playing in front of you will give you more tools in your arsenal, will have you approach the game differently than you expected, and will improve your overall mentality/gameplay because you are watching a hall of famer in front of you on a consistent basis, whether that is practice, off-ice workouts, away from the rink, and games.

I give raymond credit for coming out of his sophomore slump like he should have, but to give kane little to no credit is kind of absurd to me.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If i have given off the impression that i give all credit to kane then i guess i'll retract what was said.

What I am trying to say is having the best american born player playing in front of you will give you more tools in your arsenal, will have you approach the game differently than you expected, and will improve your overall mentality/gameplay because you are watching a hall of famer in front of you on a consistent basis, whether that is practice, off-ice workouts, away from the rink, and games.

I give raymond credit for coming out of his sophomore slump like he should have, but to give kane little to no credit is kind of absurd to me.

I think Ray would've been fine with or without Kane, but I doubt we would've seen the improvement had he not bulked up. I'm gonna leave it at that.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

There was a Lalonde interview on Aug. 29, when he had a visit with Dan Campbell, and he said "We're gonna be a significant team this year." He was excited about all the vet additions, but he made a point about Raymond looking so different because he had gotten a lot stronger in the off-season. That's really been the key for him, just along simply with confidence from more experience and figuring out what he needed to improve. He's always been capable of making "Kane-like" plays at times, whether it's a snapshot or a pass or patient hands around the net, just of course not at the same frequency as Kane. It's other areas of his game, stuff that Kane has not really been known for, where he has improved the most, and those improvements have led to more and better scoring opportunities whether he's played with Larkin or Compher.

The one thing Kane has always done, being able to slow the game down and somehow finding more space for himself or finding someone to pass to, is I think something Raymond might pick up on from Kane. But he wouldn't be able to actually execute that if he didn't already have the inherent ability to do it.

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It's not that Raymond didn't have a good season before arrived this season, but after he arrived he has taken his game to another level.

Of course his gained muscle mass is going to help. Especially late in the season. You lose a lot of weight over a season.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Does Mantha make a comeback? What does everyone think? Would you want him back?
No, don't want him back. Never loved the pick. Then became a bit love, but mostly hate after the fact.
The only 50 goal guy in his draft at 6'4. But no one wanted him?. Makes you think! Why he fell? we traded back and took him and used the added pick for little burt. Still think we could have pocketed that burt pick for later. Yeah, I understand that nill knew our game plan, but in the 2nd round? Buchnevich and then burt in the next round.!!? Yeah nill, in our room, but no one else had burt in the top 200.

Reactions: theYman

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Perfect time for a Kane lover Hawks fan like myself to jump onboard with DET for the time being(plus the added bonus of DeBrincat being there too). Your window is NOW, while the Hawks are in the very early stages of a long term rebuild. And I’d love nothing more than to see Kane help contribute to another Cup win for the legendary Red Wings. I know we’re considered rivals but any true hockey fan respects DET and what they stand for as an organization committed to winning.

Kane looks like a legit top line/allstar caliber forward again now that he’s healthy. Your already impressive looking roster upgraded more dramatically than many people truly realize. This wasn’t just your typical addition/acquisition. Plus he’s hungry and wants to win.

So….for the foreseeable future….let’s go Wings!!!
Wow!! Not surprised a Hawks fan is rooting for kane, pulling for the Wings is a bit unexpected.
But hey, welcome aboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad