GDT: Game 59: Ducks @ No Humans | 2/13/16 7:30 p.m. CT (WGN & NHL-N)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Call BS all you like, I squatted 440 at that weight. Many in the know trainer/coaches would not let you play unless you could do an overhead squat with your bodyweight, i.e. 150# in my case.

Now with Leddy and the other guys mentioned that was a while ago. Strength training has become much more in vogue as time goes on.

Again, I hope you're right for everyone's sake.

Overhead squat is one thing but to skate around the ice with another human over you head is another but who cares because it don't matter. I am surprised with the not letting player play unless they achieved certain numbers is ludicrous concept and a brutal way of going about building a program.

Leddy was only 3 years ago so not that much has changed. Sid and Ovi were longer ago so I agree. It seems like teams are not bulking player up as fast but that is just me. I am not a trainer so I am not sure why. Now I just do curls for the girls.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
A few more funk fests and Country Club Q will be in Mike Yeo territory...I cannot imagine the brains upstairs are happy with the recent turn to the downside..

HAHAHAHA lets compare our 3 cups in 6 years coach with a coach that has not got out of the second round in 5.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
A few more funk fests and Country Club Q will be in Mike Yeo territory...I cannot imagine the brains upstairs are happy with the recent turn to the downside..

Are you.... legitimately out of your mind?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Overhead squat is one thing but to skate around the ice with another human over you head is another but who cares because it don't matter.

Leddy was only 3 years ago so not that much has changed. Sid and Ovi were longer ago so I agree. It seems like teams are not bulking player up as fast but that is just me. I am not a trainer so I am not sure why. Now I just do curls for the girls.

USAHockey is WAY ahead on training than the Finns.

TT only = to the weight of 5 Cups!:laugh:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1 goal from our forwards over the last 3 home games..1 goal from our forwards! Horrible.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Overhead squat is one thing but to skate around the ice with another human over you head is another but who cares because it don't matter. I am surprised with the not letting player play unless they achieved certain numbers is ludicrous concept and a brutal way of going about building a program.

It takes tremendous core strength to do that squat with your bodyweight. Very common especially in elite high school football programs.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015

Turn to the downside.... Ha.

As some other people have pointed out, the Blackhawks go in February slumps like this all the time.... If the Blackhawks gave 100 percent full throttle effort every regular season game like you apparently want, they would have nothing left for the playoffs.

I know it makes for some frustrating games to watch as a fan during the regular season, but generally it pays off during the postseason.

That said, would like to see a trade for a 1LW.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
USAHockey is WAY ahead on training than the Finns.

TT only = to the weight of 5 Cups!:laugh:

I have buddies who played for the USNDT in Ann Arbor and I 100% agree. The all finished and went D-1 as skating brick houses.

I wish we knew what the Hawks plan with TT weight/strength training. Pipe dream I know but it would answer a lot and give so actual insight to what they think.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If the Blackhawks didn't think TT was fit enough to play effectively, they wouldn't play him.

Different people build muscle at different rates.

He is fine, and he'll be fine.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It takes tremendous core strength to do that squat with your bodyweight. Very common especially in elite high school football programs.

As a goalie squats were easy (double body weight from sophomore year on). Football training is so much different than hockey though.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I have buddies who played for the USNDT in Ann Arbor and I 100% agree. The all finished and went D-1 as skating brick houses.

I wish we knew what the Hawks plan with TT weight/strength training. Pipe dream I know but it would answer a lot and give so actual insight to what they think.

It's crazy what these kids do nowadays. I was 21 at the time of Do you believe in miracles!?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
As a goalie squats were easy (double body weight from sophomore year on). Football training is so much different than hockey though.

Specific exercises yes. But core strength, balance, power and explosiveness apply to both.

Now those baseball lightweights... we won't go there.:laugh:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's crazy what these kids do nowadays. I was 21 at the time of Do you believe in miracles!?

It is nuts. I had a trainer year round and it was nothing like it is today. I lifted but my focus was flexibility, explosiveness, and quick twitch/reactions with minimal weight gain.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
uncle-rico.jpg

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Turn to the downside.... Ha.

As some other people have pointed out, the Blackhawks go in February slumps like this all the time.... If the Blackhawks gave 100 percent full throttle effort every regular season game like you apparently want, they would have nothing left for the playoffs.

I know it makes for some frustrating games to watch as a fan during the regular season, but generally it pays off during the postseason.

That said, would like to see a trade for a 1LW.

Agree here but also they are getting next to nothing from their bottom 6 F's and I am also against taking 52 out of the lineup. I love his puck moving skills and think this kid is going to become a stud on the blue line.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I didn't get to see the game last night. How long did Q stick with TT at center, and how'd he look? I saw one comment that said he's not an NHL caliber center.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If it's bad, and it looked that way to me, hopefully they'll throw him on LTIR and free up some $$ for a trade or 2.

from the sun times

“We’ll probably know more [Sunday],†Joel Quenneville said after the Hawks lost 3-2 in overtime to the Anaheim Ducks, their third loss in as many home games. “We don’t think it’s serious, but he could miss some time.â€

When asked if Hossa could be out weeks, Quenneville said, “Could be stretching it on weeks. Not that long.â€...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad