GDT: Game 59: Columbus vs. New York Islanders | 2/25 5PM

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
The reason that people haven't realized Savard isn't a top pairing quality D is because he isn't. When he loses a step he won't be in the NHL. Having said that he's been ok this season.

I was pretty surprised to see the score, we've had quite a few of these type of games.

Blahblah though I agree Savard may not be first pairing.. dude is pretty damn good and he is a RHD which makes him a unicorn. Our tailspin after the streak ended was primarily due to Savvy being out for eight of 9 games.. he is a very calm player with the puck and defensively he is very solid. Got to say on this team of rising stars Savard is one of my favorite players. He seems very even keel...and I enjoy the **** out of watching him check somebody out of the crease. Big man & solid on his skates

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
You've gotta think Gagner breaks through here at some point. He was dominant on the ice and just can't get one to go in. That post...I felt bad for him.

He led all forwards in Corsi % at 65.71%

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Blahblah though I agree Savard may not be first pairing.. dude is pretty damn good and he is a RHD which makes him a unicorn. Our tailspin after the streak ended was primarily due to Savvy being out for eight of 9 games.. he is a very calm player with the puck and defensively he is very solid. Got to say on this team of rising stars Savard is one of my favorite players. He seems very even keel...and I enjoy the **** out of watching him check somebody out of the crease. Big man & solid on his skates

I feel like Savard is very, very valuable to the Jackets. I'm glad he's back, for sure.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Savard is invaluable to the jackets. Nobody on the team plays like him. Johnson can log huge minutes, sure. But he doesn't bring the physical presence that Savard does. And somehow Savard finds a way to pile up some points.

We desperately need another defenseman similar to Savard. Hopefully Carlsson or Gavrikov can bring a similar style if they ever make it on the roster. And Prout has shown us just because your big and physical doesn't mean you're a good fit. Finding someone with the on ice IQ is the hardest part and the current FO seem to look character and intelligence over other qualities. Yet inexplicably extended Prout. :facepalm:

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
What a great game. That first period was the best I've seen them play since the streak ended. Gotta back it up tonight though.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Here's a quick case for Savard being top pair quality (which I define as top 60 D leaguewide):

He's 42nd in ES points among all D despite missing a good chunk of games. He can rack up PP points as well, so if he was on there he could be pushing 40 pts and getting a lot more attention.

Defensively is where he's improved the most. We all saw that he saved a goal with his strength last night. Statistically, he carries Johnson, and racks up big pluses on a shutdown pair that handles the toughest minutes.

These are all top-pair-quality attributes. I think folks just don't see it because they have him typecast from his play in previous seasons. But we saw what happened when we didn't have that shut down force out there - the club was giving up 4 or 5 goals per game.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Definitely our best game since the streak ended.
First shutout for Korpi and his quality of play in the last two games let's say searches for backup must be stopped.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
The reason that people haven't realized Savard isn't a top pairing quality D is because he isn't. When he loses a step he won't be in the NHL. Having said that he's been ok this season.

I was pretty surprised to see the score, we've had quite a few of these type of games.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Top pairing terminology doesn't apply well to this team...Kind of like the term 1st line. Savy is one of our big 5 on defense.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Watched the recording. Wow. Good thing I didn't bet on the game, would have been shown up! Glad they didn't fall in line on the "after bye week" stat.

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
You've gotta think Gagner breaks through here at some point. He was dominant on the ice and just can't get one to go in. That post...I felt bad for him.

He led all forwards in Corsi % at 65.71%

biggest take I got out of the game was 89 being MUCH more engaged in play...won a bunch of face offs and dug hard for the puck all night...a goal would have been nice, but hopefully this is a springboard back upward for him...

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
I think last night's result was more defense related than offense related...when 58 and 7 are confident, carrying the puck deep, smothering the opponent, the Jackets are a juggernaut...Jonesy and Zach might be the de facto top pair, but when the other two pairs are cooking, we're very good...after about the first 8,9 minutes, the Islanders were skating in circles...it was a very 'streak-like' performance by the team...bounces going their way, sticks on pucks, one shot and done opponent rushes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad