GDT: Game 58: Red Wings at hawks 6:00 pm et 2/25/24 (ESPN+, BSD, NHLN)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I did a new thing tonight. Snuck into the UC without a ticket and wound up in the 100 level in the Fan Duel bar, with prime seats for the 3rd and OT lol.

And I’ll admit, I was wrong. No one at all booed Kane, and IN FACT…. 80% of the Hawks fans around me cheered when he scored in OT. ….which made it harder to talk shit, but still, what a storybook finish in Detroit’s favor :laugh:

I told my Hawks fan buddy I was with the second DeBrincat tied it up that Kane was going to win it in OT. Easy prediction, but loved how upset he was when it came to fruition :biglaugh:

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I did a new thing tonight. Snuck into the UC without a ticket and wound up in the 100 level in the Fan Duel bar, with prime seats for the 3rd and OT lol.

And I’ll admit, I was wrong. No one at all booed Kane, and IN FACT…. 80% of the Hawks fans around me cheered when he scored in OT. ….which made it harder to talk shit, but still, what a storybook finish in Detroit’s favor :laugh:
You thought Hawks fans would boo Kane? Why would you ever think that? He‘s on our Mt Rushmore.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You thought Hawks fans would boo Kane? Why would you ever think that? He‘s on our Mt Rushmore.
I thought only a few would, simply given how deep the hatred for Detroit runs. I admit, it’s tougher to do when your team is in the basement though. When Wings fans booed Fedorov, who is on our Mt Rushmore, in his first return to the Joe (I was there, and they booed hard), Detroit was still competitive, so it made more sense I suppose (and yes, the circumstances were somewhat different).

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Damn, sounds like I missed a legendary game. Off to see if NHL.com has highlights.

FYI reading this thread made me hate Reimer again. :)

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The ending of that game is worth putting into a special little corner of memory and never forgetting. Kane totally relaxed, glancing for a teammate he knew was nowhere near, snapping it home as casually as if he was paying off the pizza delivery boy. Home fans there to celebrate the return of the prodigal son cheering him beating their team. Stuff like that just doesn't happen, but it did.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Ras 😂

Attachments

• IMG_1002.png
    IMG_1002.png
    824.8 KB · Views: 3
Oct 18, 2006
Just finished watching. Wow we were pretty terrible for the majority of the night, couldn’t get anything going. But Kane WOW what a legend. I was just speechless after the goal, couldn’t even react.

Also just me or was Veleno the best Wing skater last night? He easily had the most jump out of anyone. Created lots of chances with his skating and forechecking.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy
I won't say that I really liked season 4 but I apparently didn't find it as incoherent as a lot of people. There's some scenes where they somehow managed to make Jodie Foster look like a bad actor, which isn't easy to do.

But overall I rate it as "meh." Whereas season 2 was "BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!"
What'd you enjoy about it? Foster was good, even though she didn't have great lines written for her. There were some awesome shots. The corpsicle was an interesting case (The solution was dumb af). Can't think of more positive. And that is just way too little.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I hope this means you were able to watch the game haha. I was ready to write this one off as a bad game/exhausted team kinda night but this team just never quits
We lead the league with 10 comeback wins, don't we?
Since day one Seider is our #1 defansman and Raymond slowly taking over this team offense, just give him 2 more years, must be signed long term
He carries that line. He might have been our best forward last 5-10 games.
Good teams play like shit and still win.

Since Datsyuk, we have not had the hands and the mind like Kane. An absolute surgeon with that puck.
It was very frustrating to watch with all those cute passes and plays. Larkin was the worst.
Was there any doubt Kane was gonna score the very second you realized he was in alone on the breakaway? Not a chance in hell. That’s why he’s a true legend cuz he’s as clutch as they come. God damn what an incredible night to be a hockey fan. This was a SPECIAL game/moment tonight. Just wow. WOW!
He turned back to see if he should wait for Walman, but realised Walman was far behind and then he just scored.
I watched the replay like 9 times now, I still have no idea how DeBrincat knew Kane was there. I guess it's just instinctual in a way when 2 stars play together for years, but like, Cat deserves tons of credit in this game, and he was an incredible supporting actor.
Did you see the pass by Lidstrom to Fedorov some years ago.
He really is increasingly passing the eye test lately. I thought he was our most dangerous forward most of this game.
Yes he created something almost every shift. Compher has to wake up. He reads poorly Raymond's play.
Everyone happy, Rasmussen pissed. Lol
Just finished watching. Wow we were pretty terrible for the majority of the night, couldn’t get anything going. But Kane WOW what a legend. I was just speechless after the goal, couldn’t even react.

Also just me or was Veleno the best Wing skater last night? He easily had the most jump out of anyone. Created lots of chances with his skating and forechecking.
Copp is terrible. He was by far the worst player last night, despite Gostibeheres 3 scary plays.

Reactions: lilidk and Sentinel

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I thought only a few would, simply given how deep the hatred for Detroit runs. I admit, it’s tougher to do when your team is in the basement though. When Wings fans booed Fedorov, who is on our Mt Rushmore, in his first return to the Joe (I was there, and they booed hard), Detroit was still competitive, so it made more sense I suppose (and yes, the circumstances were somewhat different).
the hatred for Detroit is simmered down quite a bit in the past 20 years. When was the last time we were both competitive at the same time? That brief overlap at the end of 2008-09? And before that I can't even remember a time they were both competitive at the same time.

Also since moving to the East the rivalry has fallen off considerably.

For most of us Hawks fans, once Kaner signed with Detroit we adopted Detroit as the team we are rooting for in the playoffs this year. That's how much we love Kane and also how far the rivalry has fallen off.

As for the DETROIT SUCKS chants, we've been doing that since the 80s and 90s starting with the Bad Boy Pistons during the beginning of the Jordan era. Never gonna stop that, it's our signature chant. We even chanted that for years at Bulls games and Bulls rallies even well after Detroit stopped being competitive.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Absolutely incredible. There must’ve been so much distraction and emotion. I know there was a lot of focus on Chelly and Kaner… but that was a gritty win.

Good teams find ways to win.

Magical ending. <3 I’ve watched the highlights like 20x and will rewatch the game again after work with a little bourbon.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I, for one, don’t get the “feels” from the Chelios ceremony. They treated him like “shite” for the last few years he was there, and was almost run out of town. Detroit added years to his career, allowed him to win two more Cups, and even allowed his son an opportunity to get 4 NHL games on the big club. He didn’t even thank the Ilitch family who treated him better than the Wirtz’s ever did. Perhaps I’m being petty, but I think the Red Wings organization saved him as he was on his last legs in 99, now the whole family is like “Detroit who”?
Why would he thank the Owner of the Red Wings at a jersey raising for the Blackhawks?

At Cheli's HHOF speech he thanked the Illitchs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad