GDT: Game 58: Red Wings at hawks 6:00 pm et 2/25/24 (ESPN+, BSD, NHLN)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
the hatred for Detroit is simmered down quite a bit in the past 20 years. When was the last time we were both competitive at the same time? That brief overlap at the end of 2008-09? And before that I can't even remember a time they were both competitive at the same time.

Also since moving to the East the rivalry has fallen off considerably.

For most of us Hawks fans, once Kaner signed with Detroit we adopted Detroit as the team we are rooting for in the playoffs this year. That's how much we love Kane and also how far the rivalry has fallen off.

As for the DETROIT SUCKS chants, we've been doing that since the 80s and 90s starting with the Bad Boy Pistons during the beginning of the Jordan era. Never gonna stop that, it's our signature chant. We even chanted that for years at Bulls games and Bulls rallies even well after Detroit stopped being competitive.
Some valid points here, no doubt, but as a Detroit fan who has lived in Chicago for 17 years, that hasn't exactly been my experience. I think the cooling off started only about 10 years ago, after realignment.

Both teams were competitive playoff teams at the same time for a 8-year run between 2008-2016, a period where neither team saw their win% dip below .567, and they had 11 100+ point seasons between them. I recall plenty of hatred in that time when the Wings would come to Chicago. Totally anecdotal, but I remember one game where a fan walking around the 300 level concourse was taking a black sharpie to Wings jerseys as people walked by. Maybe he did that to other fanbases too, but I kinda doubt it.

I haven't heard of many Chicago fans actively rooting for Detroit. I play on two men's league teams, mostly with Hawks fans, and while several have expressed hope that Kane does well in Detroit, I haven't heard any of them say they're also rooting for Detroit lol. You're right though, the vitriol for Detroit has indeed cooled, with both teams being pretty bad the past 6ish years and being in different conferences, but the undercurrent obviously remains.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1708968470127.png

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What'd you enjoy about it? Foster was good, even though she didn't have great lines written for her. There were some awesome shots. The corpsicle was an interesting case (The solution was dumb af). Can't think of more positive. And that is just way too little.
I liked the rose character and Peter prior. John Hawkes is always great. The main mystery was interesting but not well handled. The handling of the sister with mental illness I thought was good.

Lots of good parts but didn’t come together as a whole for me. Season 2 on the other hand I laughed out loud several times at how bad it was. Particularly Vince Vaughn’s monologues.

Season 1 was great. The way season 4 is being talked about in the media there’s this notion that the series was like The Wire or The Sopranos and just got ruined. It already fell from those levels with season 2

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I, for one, don’t get the “feels” from the Chelios ceremony. They treated him like “shite” for the last few years he was there, and was almost run out of town. Detroit added years to his career, allowed him to win two more Cups, and even allowed his son an opportunity to get 4 NHL games on the big club. He didn’t even thank the Ilitch family who treated him better than the Wirtz’s ever did. Perhaps I’m being petty, but I think the Red Wings organization saved him as he was on his last legs in 99, now the whole family is like “Detroit who”?
He was always a douche. I know that I personally have always considered him a Hawk.

• Wow
Reactions: Sentinel

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I remember people were against signing Kane. Craziness.
Not craziness at all. He's a scumbag of a person and will always be a Hawk. Him playing well for Detroit shows why sports stars never face real consequences for their shitty actions. Glad we won, but I turned the channel right after the GWG to escape the love fest.
And whoever said the cabbie deserved it... Just sad.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Not craziness at all. He's a scumbag of a person and will always be a Hawk. Him playing well for Detroit shows why sports stars never face real consequences for their shitty actions. Glad we won, but I turned the channel right after the GWG to escape the love fest.
It's been like 15 years my guy, let it go

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Chiarot-Petry is our best looking pairing today
Chiarot has been great this season
the hatred for Detroit is simmered down quite a bit in the past 20 years. When was the last time we were both competitive at the same time? That brief overlap at the end of 2008-09? And before that I can't even remember a time they were both competitive at the same time.

Also since moving to the East the rivalry has fallen off considerably.

For most of us Hawks fans, once Kaner signed with Detroit we adopted Detroit as the team we are rooting for in the playoffs this year. That's how much we love Kane and also how far the rivalry has fallen off.

As for the DETROIT SUCKS chants, we've been doing that since the 80s and 90s starting with the Bad Boy Pistons during the beginning of the Jordan era. Never gonna stop that, it's our signature chant. We even chanted that for years at Bulls games and Bulls rallies even well after Detroit stopped being competitive.
It is probably because there was the rivalry which developed in the 90s between us and the Avs. And you team wasn't good then. Then when your team was in it's way up, ours was on it's way down and then we moved East.

I love your chant. Keep it going.

And while at good stories I will tell you a good one from English soccer. Manchester United and liverpool hate each others. Ronaldo plays for Manchester and he loses his child at birth. Then there is the game between liverpool and Manchester and the liverpool fans know about his loss and they sing "you will never walk alone" to Ronaldo.

It looked like they were celebrating the cup. Everyone was happy, except Rasmussen, he was pissed. Lol

Reactions: shakes the clown

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You're too invested in your position lol.

Reactions: Sentinel

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
3m2ryssxmss71.jpg

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Just finished watching. Wow we were pretty terrible for the majority of the night, couldn’t get anything going. But Kane WOW what a legend. I was just speechless after the goal, couldn’t even react.

Also just me or was Veleno the best Wing skater last night? He easily had the most jump out of anyone. Created lots of chances with his skating and forechecking.
Veleno was by far their best player last night. That line was their best line

Reactions: Filppula

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
This game is a little old but I just realized we screwed Chicago in a couple of ways. We stole a win for two points and we gave them one that vaulted them into a tie with the Sharks in the standings. Double whammy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Really hope San Jose will win the 1st overall.

They need to add Celebrini on that crap core.

All the other tankers have already good young talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad