GDT: Game 56 • "Tank Wars" • Oilers vs Leafs • 7:00pm • SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
If Schultz is playing tonight, a good drinking game is.
Take 1 drink whenever Schultz trips over his own skates
Take 2 drinks whenever Schultz passes to a player on the opposite team, or is on the ice for a goal against
Take 3 drinks whenever he scores a goal on his own net.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Take 2 drinks whenever Schultz passes to a player on the opposite team, or is on the ice for a goal against

Have fun at the hospital.

DavidOilTroops

Jun 28, 2014
North Bay
Thats nothing special.... I predict Oilers will win all THREE lottories this draft.. making it 7 in 7 yrs. :D

I swear if we win the lottery this year, this board will become unbearable and the media will be freaking out over this embarrassment a long time.

Im still torn whether it would be entertaining or heartbreaking :laugh:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015

And pump stomach as needed. :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll predict a win. That Leafs roster is awful, they're starting Bernier, and the Oilers are actually a decent team at home. We currently have double the amount of home wins as road wins despite playing five more road games.

6-2 Oil. McDavid with 4 points.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Expecting a debacle, because that's what we get every time we play the Leafs at home. But I would love to see McDavid torch them.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I swear if we win the lottery this year, this board will become unbearable and the media will be freaking out over this embarrassment a long time.

Im still torn whether it would be entertaining or heartbreaking :laugh:

well this year there will be 2 other teams winning the lotto as well.. Considering where we are right now and multiple lottos we have a good chance of winning one of the 3.

If the boards trips so be it... if it embarasses Oilers management ..all the better
If the league steps in and takes the pick away from Oilers.. oh well...
Us fans have suffered plenty... unlike previous years we arent banking on this top prospect to be our saviour... we will take it if we get one of the big 3.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
My son is a big Oilers fan, so i follow both the Leafs and the Oilers. I have been telling him for 3 years that his team is going to be good this season....i can't figure the Oilers out. I get that your defense is sub-par, but with the talent on your team, there should be no way you are again in the basement.

Asking true Oiler fans....what is the real issue?

If you happened to catch the two games against Ottawa and Columbus, the Oilers forwards were able to control and push the play in the offensive zone. Basically the defense didn't have to do much, and they were able to pocket lots of goals. As soon as the defense has to get involved on a regular basis - bam the exact opposite happens. And this has been the case almost every game (except 2 or 3) this year. The defense can't defend and they can't get the forwards the puck for a rush.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Last time these teams played in Toronto Phaneuf came out throwing the body with borderline physical play, nobody responded for the Oilers, and the team wilted in embarrassing fashion. With Phaneuf gone and guys like Kassian playing I hope that at a minimum if the Leafs try the same tactic that the Oilers respond with a bit of pride.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Not trying to pile on you but the leafs defense is far from looking NHL worthy, Having Dion, an actual top 3 defensemen was the only thing separating the leafs defense from the oilers. Now that he's gone that defense is going to be exposed just as bad as the Oilers.

What makes you believe that I don't expect a tremendous amount of the suckage to come from the Oilers?

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
This will be bad. We will lose and McD will get 0 points. (reverse psychology)

We are at a disadvantage before the puck even drops. All other teams get up for playing the Oilers. They take pride in crushing our full team of 1st overalls (I know I would) Im afraid this will be the story for........ever.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
My son is a big Oilers fan, so i follow both the Leafs and the Oilers. I have been telling him for 3 years that his team is going to be good this season....i can't figure the Oilers out. I get that your defense is sub-par, but with the talent on your team, there should be no way you are again in the basement.

Asking true Oiler fans....what is the real issue?

If you happened to catch the two games against Ottawa and Columbus, the Oilers forwards were able to control and push the play in the offensive zone. Basically the defense didn't have to do much, and they were able to pocket lots of goals. As soon as the defense has to get involved on a regular basis - bam the exact opposite happens. And this has been the case almost every game (except 2 or 3) this year. The defense can't defend and they can't get the forwards the puck for a rush.

I'm one of those fans that isn't convinced getting a better Dman or two will fix the issues with this team. I think it's a lot bigger than that. It'll cover it up for awhile but it isn't the number one issue..

Most times the reason the defense looks so bad is the so-called offensive players don't have a clue how to play NHL hockey. The D are sitting back there with the puck and I swear to god, they have next to nothing for options. Everyone would have to be a Keith or Doughty in order to get it to the forwards. It seems the forwards have no idea how to get open, what hand to take a pass on, how to use the boards, what spacing they need,,and so on. When the D get boxed in, the forwards get in poor positions, don't take the man(too far away), wildly swinging at pucks instead of taking the man. This happens pretty much every game and through the majority of the game itself.
A really good #1 or #2 D will help but, imo, it won't lead the team much further until they fix the proper mix and structure of the team. Top D and G will mask the issues for awhile but they'll always show back up.
Even guys like Hall, Ebs, RNH, etc., don't seem to know how to play a structured game, don't cut off the paths of players, don't get in their 'perimeter' when they should, too far from the player(always late), don't finish checks..3 players all swinging at a puck while the opposing player get's open for a pass..and so on.
Frustrating as hell that D won't fix..at least long term.

Ok..rant over. Carry on..

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Take a drink every time Schultz can't hold the blueline
Take a drink every time Schultz avoids contact
Take a drink every time Schultz casually skates back after jumping up into the play
Take a drink every time Schultz wrists a weak shot on the goalie only to have it blocked

Oilers actually have a chance to win this game

McDeathbyCheerios*

My prediction:
Oilers win......

The draft lottery.

For the 5th time in 7 years.
We didn't win when we drafted RNH. Someone else did but they were high enough up that they couldn't bump us out of 1st

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I'm one of those fans that isn't convinced getting a better Dman or two will fix the issues with this team. I think it's a lot bigger than that. It'll cover it up for awhile but it isn't the number one issue..

Most times the reason the defense looks so bad is the so-called offensive players don't have a clue how to play NHL hockey. The D are sitting back there with the puck and I swear to god, they have next to nothing for options. Everyone would have to be a Keith or Doughty in order to get it to the forwards. It seems the forwards have no idea how to get open, what hand to take a pass on, how to use the boards, what spacing they need,,and so on. When the D get boxed in, the forwards get in poor positions, don't take the man(too far away), wildly swinging at pucks instead of taking the man. This happens pretty much every game and through the majority of the game itself.
A really good #1 or #2 D will help but, imo, it won't lead the team much further until they fix the proper mix and structure of the team. Top D and G will mask the issues for awhile but they'll always show back up.
Even guys like Hall, Ebs, RNH, etc., don't seem to know how to play a structured game, don't cut off the paths of players, don't get in their 'perimeter' when they should, too far from the player(always late), don't finish checks..3 players all swinging at a puck while the opposing player get's open for a pass..and so on.
Frustrating as hell that D won't fix..at least long term.

Ok..rant over. Carry on..

We are last place in the league for dmen skating the puck out of their own end. Nurse is the only one that tries. Gotta open up some ice some how. We sit back in the neutral zone and a dman just skates it out on us. Makes a simple pass and its coming into our zone.

Our dmen always go d to d, letting the other teams defense to set up with no where to pass. If they could only skate it out and make a play it would be a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad