GDT: Game 56 • "Tank Wars" • Oilers vs Leafs • 7:00pm • SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Bold Prediction:

Midway through the third period, McDavid skates the puck in our own zone, undresses Brossoit, rips off his Oiler jersey, and skates to the Leafs bench wearing a Leafs jersey.

Leaf fans wake up from their nightly dream of McDavid being a Leaf.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They'll look like Josi, and Weber against our pathetic squad.

My son is a big Oilers fan, so i follow both the Leafs and the Oilers. I have been telling him for 3 years that his team is going to be good this season....i can't figure the Oilers out. I get that your defense is sub-par, but with the talent on your team, there should be no way you are again in the basement.

Asking true Oiler fans....what is the real issue?

DavidOilTroops

Jun 28, 2014
North Bay
My son is a big Oilers fan, so i follow both the Leafs and the Oilers. I have been telling him for 3 years that his team is going to be good this season....i can't figure the Oilers out. I get that your defense is sub-par, but with the talent on your team, there should be no way you are again in the basement.

The Oilers cant even figure the Oilers out. :laugh:

Just a poorly assembled bunch of scrubs lol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Brandon Davidson plays the most and toughest minutes for Oilers.

One of Gryba, Schultz, Fayne, Nurse, Nikitin, Clendennin, Reinhart, Ference is always on ice

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Sub-par doesn't even begin to describe our defence (It's barely a C- WITH Klefbom and he's been out since before Christmas), and the forward mix isn't right at all.

Too many passengers like Schultz.

Too many one dimensional forwards.

Crippling injuries from Day 1 this year.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

The core is rotten.

The team has no heart, no drive, no passion. They have a ton of skill (apparently), but very few players are willing to put in the work to translate that skill into success. Our **** defense is obviously a big problem, but this is just as much of a problem imo. Also, I'm pretty sure Kevin Lowe built his house on an old aboriginal burial ground.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

It's the defense.

They turn it over constantly, ice it when they don't, and don't produce a lick of offense.

All the other things people talk about, no leadership, poor forward depth, losing culture, that stuff is just noise even if there is some truth to it.

Fix the defense so that our forwards can actually attack with speed more than one or two times a period.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Brandon Davidson plays the most and toughest minutes for Oilers.

One of Gryba, Schultz, Fayne, Nikitin, Clendennin, Reinhart, Ference is always on ice
This is insulting our d core and not Davidson right?

And Gryba is fine. He is a -1 on a **** team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Wow. Interesting responses. I will tell you this, in the Leafs case...it was purely structural. Once Babcock got the forwards playing a defensive structure, our defense started to look at least NHL worthy....which is a miracle when you look at who is/was on it.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver

Work ethic and consistency. Watch a few of our games and look at a few key things.

1 - Watch how many times our D rifle the puck out no matter what to the other team. Giving up posession.

2 - Watch our dump ins. See how many times we actually retrieve the puck after a dump in. I make a lot of money, but if I had free time, I would track this stat like David Staples does scoring chances.

3 - When we get into a board battle with a Leaf, watch how many times we lose that battle.

These three are the trifecta of our suck. We chase the game 90% of the time.

Injuries did help as well.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well we have the lowest scoring defense in the league. Also continue to suck getting the pucks to forwards. Just riing it up the boards.

We have average goaltending.

We have almost if not the most man games lost to injuries the list is long with big time players.

Lots of excuses but its just a poorly put together team that Chia will fix this summer.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I am no astrophysicist, but how much suckage is required for a black hole to spontaneously form? What is the likelihood of it happening at Rexall tonight? And how far away from the building should a person be for true safety?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It's almost as if average, let alone good, NHL teams have at least one player capable of playing top pairing minutes.

But let's blame the core and ship them out for unskilled grinders so we can initiate rebuild #3.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I am no astrophysicist, but how much suckage is required for a black hole to spontaneously form? What is the likelihood of it happening at Rexall tonight? And how far away from the building should a person be for true safety?

There's gonna be a whole lotta suck at Rexall tonight. Hold on to your anuses.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't know how anyone can watch our games and think the effort level is acceptable.

effort level looks low when everyone is playing above their capabilities. Nurse a 19yo rookie averages 23mins+ per night.. Davidson and even Gryba are getting close to 20min\night. Sekera seems to be in well over his head and needs a solid D partner.

Up front Draisaitl has been thrown to the wolves. Purcell/Pakarinen playing well above their abilities. McDavid is getting figured out and opponents are taking away all the room from him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Holy **** where do we start?

#1: EPIC GDT. It's sadly quite honest.
#2: SCHUTLZ!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? nooooooooooo!
#3: Purcell will do nothing with Yakupov and Yakupov will do nothing with Purcell. Both of these guys need driven players who are good at controlling the pace of the play while distributing the puck. Letesnu will win face offs while Purcell plays positional hockey in his own end while Yakupov scrambles around in attempt to not get caught out of position and when we take it into the offensive zone (no promises this happens) nobody will feed Yak for a set-up shot, Letesnu will have no time to forecheck because he'll be doing overtime in his own end to help the team get the puck out of the zone and Purcell won't go anywhere near Yakupov's range to receive a pass that will lead to a goal.
#4: What's up with Brossoit? I know he's been elite this year... but should we really be putting him in net while the team is playing so poorly? We just throw developing goalies to the wolves like that?
#5: Will this be the game that Kassian loses it, goes too far and gets suspended? He's been a maniac.
#6: Tank wars is a perfect name, but I don't want to see it this way. I don't care if we're 13 points out of a playoffs spot and that we've played more games than most of the teams in the west. I want Klefbom and Hopkins back now... but it isn't dumb if you want to disagree with me because it seems that we go through a hot streak at the end of the year almost every year. Last year we got hot because Eakins was out of the door. The year before that... I don't know... but it seems like we play better throughout the last 6 weeks of the regular season every year and at the end of the year it brainwashes some of us (me included) into thinking that we're only a few pieces away from having a hockey team. This **** has to go otherwise we are literally going to see not a rebuild, but a retool and when I saw retool I mean the near complete dismantlement of our core. I'm pretty sure the coaching crew and management group have a good idea of who they do and don't want on this team and their saving grace is going to be the fact that our team plays better throughout the last 6 weeks of the regular season.
#7: If our scoring lines can't combine for 3 goals against the Leafs we have bigger problems than initially imagined.
#8: If Arcobello scores I'm going to go find Sam Gagner and Ben Scrivens and punch them in the face.
#9: Will be interesting to see if Kadri actually plays. (suspension) He's played like a bum up until now considering the hype behind him, the money he was demanding before he signed his previous contract and the ****** job he's done with becoming a centerman while on this current contract. The NHL doesn't need to protect him.
#10 Wouldn't it be cool if Justin Schultz attempted to trade himself to the Leafs during the opening face-off and all of the Leafs players jumped off the bench and literally beat Schultz to the point where he was unconscious while all of the other Oilers' players looked on in disbelief and the referees were then forced to have the Leafs forfeit the game due to all but 5 of their players being thrown out for leaving the bench?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
It's almost as if average, let alone good, NHL teams have at least one player capable of playing top pairing minutes.

But let's blame the core and ship them out for unskilled grinders so we can initiate rebuild #3.

Couple things.

-I've already noted that our defense is a major problem, so let's not ignore that to shoehorn some false narrative in.
-Nobody wants to ship the core out for freaking grinders, so let's not pretend that to shoehorn some false narrative in.

DavidOilTroops

Jun 28, 2014
North Bay

Its actually a good comparison as black holes are formed when stars collapse in upon themselves.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Wow. Interesting responses. I will tell you this, in the Leafs case...it was purely structural. Once Babcock got the forwards playing a defensive structure, our defense started to look at least NHL worthy....which is a miracle when you look at who is/was on it.

Not trying to pile on you but the leafs defense is far from looking NHL worthy, Having Dion, an actual top 3 defensemen was the only thing separating the leafs defense from the oilers. Now that he's gone that defense is going to be exposed just as bad as the Oilers.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Today Komarov will show Yakupov and rest of the Oilers how a real hockey player should play the game.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I actually think we will spank the leafs tonight.

6-3

We actually play pretty well at home, but the road, wow we suck. Not sure why but if we can start winning onn the road thats another step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad