GDT: Game 55: Columbus vs. New York Rangers | 2/13 7:30PM

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I missed the first part of the first, so only speaking for the rest - the Jackets played very well.

They had gobs of chances on skill plays - I hadn't seen that many since the streak. Granted the Rangers did too, but the Jackets had more. When the luck isn't going your way you focus on playing the right way. And they did.

But one play Bob would like back and now we've got to sit here and listen to people go on about how terrible things are.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I missed the first part of the first, so only speaking for the rest - the Jackets played very well.

They had gobs of chances on skill plays - I hadn't seen that many since the streak. Granted the Rangers did too, but the Jackets had more. When the luck isn't going your way you focus on playing the right way. And they did.

But one play Bob would like back and now we've got to sit here and listen to people go on about how terrible things are.

Yep, great game by both teams, sure felt like playoff hockey. We were very good the first 5-10 minutes, the rest of the period I thought went to the Rangers. Tough loss, we've got to find a way to finish our chances, because we are getting plenty of them.

We could have had a couple more power plays, but refs will miss calls. I liked our game tonight, especially the 2nd period, but again, no goals to show for a dominant 20 minutes of the game.

Bob has been great the last 3 or 4 games, he gave up a soft one tonight, and we again made a lesser goalie look sensational with our inability to score on so many chances.

Overall, I like our game, need a bounce or two, or another PP or two, and we need to finish.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Have you to agree with JR. Need to find a way to win these. Still some painful growing pains. What a softie by a Bob.:shakehead

I have so many bad memories of this team in the past of giving up a goal a minute after scoring one. I honestly predicted this would happen as soon as they scored. Sadly it is a sign of a soft team.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Good lord, everyone clearly expects way too much because of the streak. They aren't going to win every game- I know they haven't done well for awhile now, but they played well tonight. A save by Bob or a high sticking call and it could've gone the other way. There have been much worse games. I'm still confident they'll figure it out by the playoffs.

This is far from a sky is falling loss.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have so many bad memories of this team in the past of giving up a goal a minute after scoring one. I honestly predicted this would happen as soon as they scored. Sadly it is a sign of a soft team.

Team has improved in many areas from last year, mental strength is not one of them.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What makes you think that drawing a penalty would have changed the result of the game? The Jackets are under 14% on the PP since the streak and haven't scored a PPG in 3 weeks.

There is a reason the Jackets can't finish chances or that bounces aren't going their way...it's because they aren't a good hockey team.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
8-10-1 since the streak. 3 wins against playoff teams and 7 losses to non playoff teams. That doesn't seem okay to me.

You are right, its not ok. We are in a lull. In some ways we look like the team that won 16 in a row, but we always missing something, a big save, a PP conversion, finishing a break away. Games like tonight tease me, because I can see the 5-5 game that was so prevalent in December, but we aren't being rewarded with the goals...this game felt a lot like the OTL in Pitt 2 weeks ago.

At the same time, we aren't self destructing, we aren't falling apart on the ice, our game looks good, the scoreboard doesn't.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
What makes you think that drawing a penalty would have changed the result of the game? The Jackets are under 14% on the PP since the streak and haven't scored a PPG in 3 weeks.

There is a reason the Jackets can't finish chances or that bounces aren't going their way...it's because they aren't a good hockey team.

scored one tonight fwiw

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You are right, its not ok. We are in a lull. In some ways we look like the team that won 16 in a row, but we always missing something, a big save, a PP conversion, finishing a break away. Games like tonight tease me, because I can see the 5-5 game that was so prevalent in December, but we aren't being rewarded with the goals...this game felt a lot like the OTL in Pitt 2 weeks ago.

At the same time, we aren't self destructing, we aren't falling apart on the ice, our game looks good, the scoreboard doesn't.

If they keep playing this way it's not going to be a problem.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

A 6 on 4 is a hell of a lot better than a 6 on 5, that's simply a fact. Early in the season, for the first time in the franchise's existence, we had literally almost every bounce go our way. Now, it's regressed to the mean. They have to adjust. Bob isn't quite as lights out as he was early in the year. They have to adjust, and Bob has to adjust. We've been getting 2 or less powerplays every game for the past month and a half, which was the backbone of our success early on. They have to adjust.

They're still playing well. This team would kick last year's team's ass. Handling adversity such as this is good for the long term. We all know they have another level they can take it to, so hopefully we'll see that in the playoffs.

Believe me, I'm far from okay with this lull. But I never expected a conference finals or Stanley Cup appearance this year, but we certainly have pieces we'll need for that. Perhaps that's the reason I'm freaking out less than most, but I also believe that they can get this figured out by the time they need to.

If you want a reason to be optimistic, for both this year and long term then here: The Jackets are the youngest team in the league, and they're 35-15-5. Experience is what builds long term success like Pittsburgh, and San Jose, who happen to be the two oldest teams in the league. If the Jackets can go toe to toe with Pittsburgh now, then the future looks damn bright, and who knows what they can do this year, but so far, I would call it surpassing expectations.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A 6 on 4 is a hell of a lot better than a 6 on 5, that's simply a fact. Early in the season, for the first time in the franchise's existence, we had literally almost every bounce go our way. Now, it's regressed to the mean. They have to adjust. Bob isn't quite as lights out as he was early in the year. They have to adjust, and Bob has to adjust. We've been getting 2 or less powerplays every game for the past month and a half, which was the backbone of our success early on. They have to adjust.

They're still playing well. This team would kick last year's team's ass. Handling adversity such as this is good for the long term. We all know they have another level they can take it to, so hopefully we'll see that in the playoffs.

Believe me, I'm far from okay with this lull. But I never expected a conference finals or Stanley Cup appearance this year, but we certainly have pieces we'll need for that. Perhaps that's the reason I'm freaking out less than most, but I also believe that they can get this figured out by the time they need to.

If you want a reason to be optimistic, for both this year and long term then here: The Jackets are the youngest team in the league, and they're 35-15-5. Experience is what builds long term success like Pittsburgh, and San Jose, who happen to be the two oldest teams in the league. If the Jackets can go toe to toe with Pittsburgh now, then the future looks damn bright, and who knows what they can do this year, but so far, I would call it surpassing expectations.

:laugh: Optimism does not run on that software.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Just got through watching the game.

-I thought Columbus played quite well. They pretty much dominated the 2nd and really a lot of the 3rd, creating a lot of danger, but the Rangers are more seasoned and capitalized on a shortie and a bad pass by JJ. Really the Jackets should have swept this series, but Rangers just have more poise when it counts. Their goalie was better than Bob but got lucky in the last 30 seconds.
-Bob was good overall and made some difficult stops, but then I thought let in two relatively soft goals. That third one was a real letdown.
-First line was much better and created danger.
-PP was better too. They got set up in the zone relatively easily and the passing wasn't bad. On the down side, pucks were drifting off sticks... not sure what that was all about.
-I haven't read the other posts but I'm guessing a lot of doom and gloom. I look at it this way: this was a highly competitive game against a very good, experienced road team. This is how it's going to be in the playoffs. Losses like this don't annoy me too much... getting stoned at home against NJ and Vancouver bothers me a lot. If Jackets would compete like this against bad teams at home they'd have another 4-5 wins now, but because they don't this loss stings.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
No one wants to say it but it should be said: this loss is on Bob. 2 of 3 goals even Korpi would have stopped. Yes, Bob has been great most of the year. But this one is on him. In a playoff environment, you cannot have your goalie giving up two softies in one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad