GDT: Game 53: Red Wings at canucks 10:00 pm et 2/15/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I see the difference between them and us. They put you away when it's 3-1 by getting that go-ahead goal while when we have a 3-1 lead in the 3rd we usually just squander it away and end going up going to OT

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I see the difference between them and us. They put you away when it's 3-1 by getting that go-ahead goal while when we have a 3-1 lead in the 3rd we usually just squander it away and end going up going to OT
Funny since they literally blew a 3-1 lead to us last week

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I'm surprised at how good Vancouver is with that bottom four

Zadorov-Juulsen
Cole-Myers

That's ugly but they hide it somehow
Soucey out with injury hurts but Myers is better than his HF reputation says he is. 19 pts +12, probably bout 100 hits and blocks so far. Cole is a little tank as well

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Think we have to sell some guys at the deadline, pick up assets and call up some kids

Don't think we'll get in ... too many teams getting close behind us and I checked the next weeks games and theres a few games where teams right behind us will face each other so a few of them will be getting 2 pts and inching closer

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Think we have to sell some guys at the deadline, pick up assets and call up some kids

Don't think we'll get in ... too many teams getting close behind us and I checked the next weeks games and theres a few games where teams right behind us will face each other so a few of them will be getting 2 pts and inching closer

If they sell at the deadline for a 5th straight year, then it's a failure on Yzerman's part.

No other general manager would get this long and be allowed to say "we're still not ready" entering year 6 on the job.

That being said, I don't think they'll be sellers.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Credit to them, they were all over us. We flubbed the simple plays. They were a step ahead all night. It wasn't a lack of effort from the boys tonight, it was poor execution.
Pretty much...Our play from the 3rd period in Edmonton carried over.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I literally said we lost this game because of our PP and goaltending. I’m sorry Lyon was just not good. 4 goals on 20 shots not many high danger changes given up.
It was far from Lyon's best start, and I agree he wasn't "good," but he wasn't bad either. He just wasn't a storyline tonight, good or bad.

First goal... Petry lol. And a total screen. No chance.

Second goal... Walman miss on closing his gap, got weaponized as a screen. Lyon could have got that one, but he didn't see the shot, it would have been pretty tough.

Third goal... Another total screen, no chance.

Fourth goal.... 2-on-1 that turned into a 3-on-1 at the last second, with no one picking up the trailer. I'm surprised Lyon managed came as close to saving that as he did.

Would it have been awesome if he had managed to make an amazing save on maybe the 2nd and/or 4th goal? Sure. To blame him for this loss is silly though.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
If they sell at the deadline for a 5th straight year, then it's a failure on Yzerman's part.

No other general manager would get this long and be allowed to say "we're still not ready" entering year 6 on the job.

Has any other GM in the past 10 years been rewarded such a shitty roster (from Holland) and almost guaranteed 2, or 3 drops back in the draft lottery?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

Standing pat and missing the playoffs and letting ufa's walk for nothings a failure

What you talking about Columbus just fire the gm after 11 years lol ... yzerman inherited a shitshow from Holland and were headed in the right way

Edvinsson kasper danielson cossa pelikka arent even here yet. Yzerman far from failing

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Three weeks yet till deadline, and we will play nine more games. That should give us an idea of sell or not.
Selling is a weird concept. I think there are current roster players that if replaced make us a better team. You technically have to "sell" them, but I wouldn't deem that giving up on the year.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Selling is a weird concept. I think there are current roster players that if replaced make us a better team. You technically have to "sell" them, but I wouldn't deem that giving up on the year.
That's true . Should have made room for edvinsson and berggren long time ago , might as well do it now and pick up some assets

The kids need to play for this team to take the next step

Maybe Yzerman sends Holl to Toronto for Bertuzzi :naughty:
That GM's in pittsburgh now lol would have to be holl for smith

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No way did we lose against two of the NHLs best teams and people start talking about selling.
Lol.
Again. There are players on the roster that if replaced by players readily available, it would make us a better team. Addition by subtraction. Trick is finding a sucker.

Sucks that with Fabbs having a kid, it would be really shitty to find a sucker to take him while he's still got intact ligaments...

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I also find it maddening that we're always trying to skill the puck into the net. There's no crash the net mentality. There was a delayed penalty to Vancouver and we had possession in their zone. The extra skater got on the ice and literally everyone skated away from the net. 6 players on the ice and everyone was competing to be the next passing option! Finally Larkin realized there was no one even near the goalie so he begrudgingly skated to the crease. And then we turned the puck over...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
After 4 periods (3 vs Oilers and 1 vs nucks) we were outscored 10 to 4, as the opponents didn't have any PP while we had 6.
McDavid was +6 with 6 points, next game vs blues 3 points but -2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad