GDT: Game 52: Columbus at Detroit | 2/7 7:30PM

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Good win after the wretched first 10 minutes of the 1st..

Seth Jones scoring 10 just gave 8 guys with 10 or more? (I heard this referenced early in the 1st by Rims)

That is balanced scoring - & I hope some of the guys that have cooled Karlsson Gagner, Calvert pick it up again

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
4023ff7e3dc2d1c8aae9f844bdfbdf1d

Because this is the NHL we deal in shades of gray. The rule is only enforceable when the Referee determines it is. If the refs don’t see it or decide not to call it, not much Detroit can do.

Second, did Dubinsky make a play for the puck?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/did-red-wings-get-hosed-in-overtime-video-051526236.html

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I think it was a pretty fair play on the puck/stick and not a blatant slashing infraction.

Actually most Detroit fans agree, from there post game thread...

Zetterberg continues to try and do too much in overtime. That wasn't a massive slash. I know his stick broke, but I just watched two replays. I'm okay with no call. Z gets caught in overtime again..
Sadly, fair loss.

Elliot is right. This was actually a good non-call. Those types of plays, when the stick doesn't break, it's a good defensive play.

What Shaman said. I just watched the replay a couple times as FSD is still showing the game. The call was correct.

I don't believe every broken stick should be a penalty. For example, this call. The slash was really, really minor. The stick just so happened to break. Try to find a replay of this, they will show you a few angles. I'm okay with the call. Not okay with a slow, tired Zetterberg thinking he's Crosby there.

The non-call sucks and all, but at the end of the day mrazek let in 2 goals from low danger areas. The guys inconsistency is mind boggling. Thought they team played pretty well defensively otherwise.

I'm OK with that not being called. I'm not OK with Z's decision making that got him into that spot.
That last goal was a softy. It was a nicely placed shot, for sure, but it was just Mrazek and the shooter and it didn't look like Mrazek was cheating. He just got beat.

Agreed. Stick on stick used to be totally legal. The newer interpretation of the rule is an adjustment to today's incredibly fragile sticks, not a bedrock principle that stick on stick contact is or should be verboten.
If Mrazek makes the fairly routine save a moment later, nobody is talking about this play.

I think it's a stretch to call it a slash. The guy turned and took a weak, one handed swing at the puck, and hit Zetterberg's stick on accident. The ref could interpret it as a slash just to make a call, but I think it's easier to interpret it as an attempt to play the puck and not even a move that was "forceful."
It stings because Columbus walked down and scored, but I have a hard time seeing it and honestly calling it a slash.

Bad team loses to better team. Definitely the fault of the refs.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

The writer answers her own question with, "it's Dubi, so probably not." She's full of ****. It's probably a penalty, but there is sufficient gray area to allow for a non-call, at least through these homer glasses...

Anyway, since the entire game was poorly officiated, and yeah, I'd have been mad if the same had happened to the CBJ, but the number of missed calls was egregious. Also, after Z dropped his stick, he chose to spend a couple seconds begging for a call instead of heading off for a change or getting a new stick. It wasn't him dropping the stick or heading to the bench that created the time for Jones to get wide open, it was Z delaying by complaining. If you stop playing, you deserve to get beat.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
So, more importantly... Josh Anderson didn't pass concussion protocol in game last night. Doesn't mean he was concussed, yeah? Just woozy? Or? I'm not sure.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Passed out before the 3rd last night - lol.. nice waking up this morning to another 2 pts :D

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Ummm....this..uh...let's call her a lady I guess....but she's an Editor for Yahoo Puck Daddy and she writes this:

Brandon Dubinsky and Henrik Zetterberg were fighting for the puck in the neutral zone. Zetterberg had the puck on his stick when Dubinsky whipped around and slammed his stick against the shaft of Zetterberg’s. (That’s what she said.)

Is Puck Daddy just made up of college journalism majors? :shakehead

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I like Wysh. Other then him, they have some real hacks. I agree, the article was pretty decent until she had to go to the gratuitous diss of Dubi. The guy plays hard, but isn't dirty.

The reason I even went there is because of my first post on the so-called slash. It was very low on the stick, wasn't that hard, and realistically looked like Dubi was swiping at the puck.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
After reading the rule and watching the play again I have done a 180 and see it not as a slash but as a stick check. The problem is that it looks worse than it was because Z's stick broke. That is the thing with the new sticks...you look at the wrong and they will break.

As for the Wings fans throwing cups, etc on the ice...that is typical Detroit and one of the reasons I don't like the Wings and say suck it Detroiters!

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
Told #NHL reviewed hit by #RedWings Brendan Smith on #CBJ Josh Anderson on Tuesday, but decided against any supplemental discipline.
2:25 PM - 8 Feb 2017
6 6 Retweets 4 4 likes

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
That wasn't a slash. There was no chopping, and it was directed at the puck. If Z's stick wasn't there he hits the puck or Z's shin pads, neither of which constitutes slashing. Just because his stick broke on the play doesn't make it a penalty.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Dubi is a dirty player, I don't know why people find that offensive to him. He probably has it proudly tattooed somewhere. Not Matt Tkachuk dirty, but dirty.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Dubi is a dirty player, I don't know why people find that offensive to him. He probably has it proudly tattooed somewhere. Not Matt Tkachuk dirty, but dirty.

Dirty? I see him as hard-nosed player...just like Boone Jenner.

If he was dirty I think you'd see fine/suspension after fine/suspension.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Guys on sirrius XM weighed in this am and said in their view it was not a slash. Lot's of missed calls in this game and others. I'm still asking why the hit on Anderson wasn't called. Eerily similar to the Foligno hit last year.

Doesn't change the fact that Jones blew it by Mrazack for the game winner.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Guys on sirrius XM weighed in this am and said in their view it was not a slash. Lot's of missed calls in this game and others. I'm still asking why the hit on Anderson wasn't called. Eerily similar to the Foligno hit last year.

Doesn't change the fact that Jones blew it by Mrazack for the game winner.

I didn't notice it at first but the hit on Foligno really was whiplash. His head moved violently but only as a result of the contact to the body. The hit on Anderson, by contrast, the head moves away violently before the main contact with the body, and in a manner not consistent with whiplash. It was a headshot.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

I don't see Dubi as dirty. He plays hard and on the line. Inevitably he crosses that line every now and then, oftentimes when up against Crosby. But he's not looking for the cheap play every time he's on the ice. Actually I think he's one of our more honest players. I can't really think of any of our guys I would label dirty at the moment. Not like I would have back in the day with Comeau for example.

In rereading your post I think we're kind of getting at the same point. We just differ on terminology.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I wish all our players played gritty like Brandon Duby Meyers...:sarcasm:

The sarcasm is for the Meyers jeweler reference - I really would like to see an entire team play hard nosed like Dubes!!!:D

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I was listening to NHL Radio yesterday and the topic was "who is he dirtiest player on your team". I only got to listen to a little bit but a CBJ caller said Dubi. He might be the closest thing the CBJ have to a dirty player but I agree with others...he's plays hard and gritty...but I don't think he's dirty.

Dirty to me is Lucic, Marchand, etc.

BTW, when it comes down to a non-called penalty that costs us a game...I always remember the cross check on Daryl Sydor when he was pinching in at the blue line, as he's making a face plant to the ice the puck gets past him and the opposing team (don't remember who) scored going the other way. It was a blatant penalty that went uncalled and cost us the game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Dirty? I see him as hard-nosed player...just like Boone Jenner.

If he was dirty I think you'd see fine/suspension after fine/suspension.

Difference between dirty and hard nosed often time is which team a guy is on. Ours or theirs.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Jack Edwards was talking about Brad Marchand and he called him a "1 and 29 guy" One team loves him and 29 teams hate him. Obviously soon to be a 1 and 30 guy :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad