GDT: Game 5: Columbus at Los Angeles | 10/25 10:30PM EST

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The way to play 3 on 3 is to hang on to the puck, tire out the other club, and keep fresh legs out there (change even when you have the puck).

The Jackets are not less skilled than the Kings 3 on 3. They just didn't play it right.

3-3 puts us at a disadvantage against probably 25 teams or more

Just don't have the high skill guys to play that game

Oh yes, the great skill of Alec Martinez. Whatever can the meak Jackets do against that?

The Kings can beat us with their best 3 on 3 unit. The rest is all Jackets. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the rest of those 3 on 3 matchups.

Did the Jackets really even try to score that last period?

Yeah, not enough. I'm tired of them trying to kill the clock in the wrong part of the ice. They need to get it down low and cycle it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jackets had 5 guys on 1 side of the ice to the Kings 2. He went wide because the defenseman were doing their jobs forcing him out there while the forwards were double teaming guys leaving the best player on the ice wide open.

No one cares if he's wide open past the half wall. If Drew Doughty wants to shoot from there he will, D systems aren't designed to stop it because it's the goalies job.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
Oh well, at least the score is fair. Kings were the better team, but Jackets got a point for a good effort. Sucks that this game was winnable.

Jackets have played well since the last period of the Sharks game but there are still some meltdowns within games and periods. clean those up a bit and it'll be allright.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Oh well, at least the score is fair. Kings were the better team, but Jackets got a point for a good effort. Sucks that this game was winnable.

Jackets have played well since the last period of the Sharks game but there are still some meltdowns within games and periods. clean those up a bit and it'll be allright.

I think the number of meltdowns in the third period was close to if not zero. Was there even a single odd man rush that looked the slightest bit dangerous?

You don't need the other team to have a meltdown to score. You just need to put it on net. Do that enough times you'll get a break.

That's why I don't like the way the Jackets are defending leads. They've been defending leads in what, 4 games now? Lost half of them. I think they need to get it in the other end and grind it out. Instead they've been flipping it out and defending the rush/ dump-in over and over again, and doing a very good job at it. But as I was saying, you don't need to mess up for the other team to score. Play in your own end long enough and one of those bouncers is going in.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
I think the number of meltdowns in the third period was close to if not zero. Was there even a single odd man rush that looked the slightest bit dangerous?

You don't need the other team to have a meltdown to score. You just need to put it on net. Do that enough times you'll get a break.

That's why I don't like the way the Jackets are defending leads. They've been defending leads in what, 4 games now? Lost half of them. I think they need to get it in the other end and grind it out. Instead they've been flipping it out and defending the rush/ dump-in over and over again, and doing a very good job at it. But as I was saying, you don't need to mess up for the other team to score. Play in your own end long enough and one of those bouncers is going in.

Okay maybe meltdown isn't the right word for it. It's like they are not executing their game plan for full 60 minutes. Especially while leading they have leaned back and eased the pressure letting the opponent gain some momentum. I don't know if that's on coaching staff or the players. I hate it when teams change their game while leading, unless there's like 2 minutes on the clock. Play your game regardless of the score and see where you're at after 60 minutes.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
All in all, the difference between this team and the team a year ago is just massive. Like night and day. Especially the defense. It almost seems like the coaching staff knows what they are doing. It's weird because I've read that we have the worst hc in the league:sarcasm:.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
1st half of the 3rd was some of the worst they looked all year they didn't seem to ever have possession. After that they went back to the jackets we have seen this year. The goal honestly wasn't that bad it was originally saved but just slipped through a little it happens.

Jones I don't blame for trying the pass it was just bad luck to hit the skate of a player who didn't intentionally put out his skate it was just fortune for them like the puck that hit the ref for us. Good effort bad luck.

Also Prout has not been a liability this year. Without Boll as our designated fighter and him being at least good at clearing the crease and playing physical I'd prefer him to the Finn.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jones I don't blame for trying the pass it was just bad luck to hit the skate of a player who didn't intentionally put out his skate it was just fortune for them like the puck that hit the ref for us. Good effort bad luck.

I'd say bad choice bad luck. In 3 on 3 the puck can be in the possession of a single team for the entire OT, so it's really important to make solid passes until you're in a position to strike. Nothing too fancy. And if you and your linemates have been defending for a minute +, you need to get it to a fresh body and gtfo the ice.

Also Prout has not been a liability this year. Without Boll as our designated fighter and him being at least good at clearing the crease and playing physical I'd prefer him to the Finn.

So far so good for Prout. I'd even say he's been passing better than Nuti. I don't know what's up with the kids game - I'm guessing he's still adjusting to the timing and the rinks?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

If they're going to give up possession, which if they can't make exit passes or carry the puck out might be the best strategy, then they need to do better on the forecheck and denial of zone entry.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
All in all, the difference between this team and the team a year ago is just massive. Like night and day. Especially the defense. It almost seems like the coaching staff knows what they are doing. It's weird because I've read that we have the worst hc in the league:sarcasm:.

"Coaching is creating an illusion. All the surroundings, equipment are part of the whole in which the team looks dynamic and strong. It creates fear."

Simo Valakari.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
They gave up on forechecking in the third period. I really liked what I saw from Sedlak and Anderson throughout the game, but their play needs to rub off on some of the veterans (ahem, Dubinsky).

Jones and Werenski. Man I can't say enough about these guys...That might have been the best defensive game I've seen Jones play in his career as a Jacket. Every time Werenski touches the puck, I hold my breath. We could have the next Drew Doughty on this team.

Overall I don't think we deserved to win the game, but there's no reason why we shouldn't have. It's too bad Jones made a bad pass to Saad, who then glided back the other way during the GWG. I really wanted to see Wennberg and Werenski out there for 3on3 at some point.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Man, after watching the Tribe game, that extra point in OT would have been the cherry on top to the best Cleveland/Ohio sports day in my life. That being said, I am not too upset with the loser point.

The Kings deserved to win that game, but the Jackets should have won but Bob let in a softy on that Doughty shot. Oh well.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I love that we got a point. Every point away from home is great, but I hate the way we lost. Like others have said, we need to quit playing not to lose in the 3rd period when we have a lead.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
They gave up on forechecking in the third period. I really liked what I saw from Sedlak and Anderson throughout the game, but their play needs to rub off on some of the veterans (ahem, Dubinsky).

Jones and Werenski. Man I can't say enough about these guys...That might have been the best defensive game I've seen Jones play in his career as a Jacket. Every time Werenski touches the puck, I hold my breath. We could have the next Drew Doughty on this team.

Overall I don't think we deserved to win the game, but there's no reason why we shouldn't have. It's too bad Jones made a bad pass to Saad, who then glided back the other way during the GWG. I really wanted to see Wennberg and Werenski out there for 3on3 at some point.

Wennberg and Weresnki should have started it. With how good Werenski is with the puck, I would have started those 2 and Jones.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If they're going to give up possession, which if they can't make exit passes or carry the puck out might be the best strategy, then they need to do better on the forecheck and denial of zone entry.

The denial of zone entry was outstanding in the middle part of the third period - the Kings announcers were going on about how effective the Jackets D were at halting the Kings at the line. There was no Jackets forecheck as far as I could tell. And I don't mean a weak one man forecheck, I mean puck dumped in, no Jacket anywhere near it. That was the problem, and it's happened in most of our third periods now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, was the only game where the Jackets weren't defending a third period lead the second game?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My impression is the team showed some very promising signs, especially play in their own zone and being able to quickly stop an opposing rush, get the puck and immediately rush-up ice. It was very reminiscent of the way the Monster destroyed the Ontario Reign.

Werenski's ability to stop forwards skating into his zone, push them to the boards and end up with the puck and immediately pass the puck to a teammate was phenomenal. Over and over he was able to do that, except when it came to Kopitar and Toffoli. He's not at that level yet to stop legitimate 1st lines - but that will come.

Budaj wasn't all the solid, but faced so rebounds or anyone crashing the net.

But at least defensively the team is looking better.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The denial of zone entry was outstanding in the middle part of the third period - the Kings announcers were going on about how effective the Jackets D were at halting the Kings at the line. There was no Jackets forecheck as far as I could tell. And I don't mean a weak one man forecheck, I mean puck dumped in, no Jacket anywhere near it. That was the problem, and it's happened in most of our third periods now.

Yes, in spurts. And to be clear, I was lumping those two together. I know they aren't the same tactic, but I'm just saying if you're not going to kill time with possession both of those things have to be working well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, was the only game where the Jackets weren't defending a third period lead the second game?

Absent actually looking, this is my recollection as well.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Before last Friday night's game against the Blackhawks, if I was offered an opportunity to sign up for 3 points on the 4 game road trip, I could not have gotten to an ink pen fast enough. Now they have 3 points and still have an opportunity for more.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Yes, in spurts. And to be clear, I was lumping those two together. I know they aren't the same tactic, but I'm just saying if you're not going to kill time with possession both of those things have to be working well.

13-3-9106520.jpg

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Pity. Had a decent 1st, good 2nd, and bad half of the third, but the second half of the third was really good. Then we fell flat on our faces in OT. What the hell was Jones doing?

The second goal against was on Bob. Very soft.

Good point to get I suppose. But thats the second blown third period lead. I miss the days when we were automatic with the lead.

As I saw it as well. second goal was on Bob; but consider that Doughty hopped the boards on a change and skated unmarked into the zone to have the shot attempt.

Jones screwed up on the 3-3 and Saad was not there to cleanup the rebound at the other end.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yes but at the same time, to face their 3rd stringer and not get the win hurts. Especially when they had the lead late. Also seemed like not many great chances on Budaj.

This .. of all the games I thought this one would be the most winnable ... and that we wouldn't get outshot.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
This .. of all the games I thought this one would be the most winnable ... and that we wouldn't get outshot.

shows what you know.

J/K :laugh:

I think the level of parity in the league since the cap was introduced, makes every game an adventure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad