GDT: Game 5: Columbus at Detroit | 10/15 8PM EDT

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Why not take away the 2 goals that Bob could have stopped against Boston and we're 5-0. Or take away some great stops by Bob and Foligno's flukey goals, add in a what if or two by the other guys and we're 0-5. :laugh:

must be great living in a glass half empty world...

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
article-everyday-mindfulness.jpg

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
must be great living in a glass half empty world...

while realism dictates to me that the glass is half empty most of the time, I was merely pointing out the ridiculousness of the original tweet. Note that I did point out the half full option as well. Hopefully this will end this half-glassed discussion.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Most of us are still in the April mindset in which each and every loss meant doom and gloom, and need to understand its only October in a full 82. That being said we obviously need to score more than 1 goal a game to win, Bob will keep being Bob, and we WILL start winning these close games. Im not looking into our subpar performance after 5 games, because I know we are better than our record shows, just like the Avs are not as good as theirs shows.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I guess I'm the only one that enjoyed this hockey game and thought we played pretty well most of the night.

I really liked the work from the top line. I thought RJ and Johansen started to get it going a bit. I liked our neutral zone play until about mid way through the 3rd. Oh and Jenner played hard.

That was a much better Detroit club then we saw last season on display last night.

At any rate, continue on with the silly cliff jumping.

I agree with you as well. I'll admit to only half paying attention for the first half of the game (trying to get some work done at the same time) but the level of "compete" was perfectly fine. The opposition is capable of playing well and we can still lose.

Was it a perfect game? No. There are many things that can be fixed. The forwards seemed a bit discombobulated. Not surprising really since Gabby didn't practice, Foligno was out, Calvert was out, new guys were in and the lines all shuffled.

This isn't college football where if you lose there is really no way you're going to play in the title game. We lost (in what were essentially one goal games) to two teams that realistically could go far in the Eastern conference playoffs and basically hung with them. I would have preferred a different result, but I am not overly disappointed with this team.

Onward to Montreal.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i dunno...the defense tells me its glass half full...the offense will come around

Alison ‏@AlisonL 2m
#CBJ are 6th in Goals Against, but 27th in Goals For through 5 games.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
i dunno...the defense tells me its glass half full...the offense will come around

Alison ‏@AlisonL 2m
#CBJ are 6th in Goals Against, but 27th in Goals For through 5 games.

I agree re: the D; the O could be evaporating to 3/8 at best :laugh:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The sky-is-falling posts peaked a page or two ago and enough level-headedness has been introduce into the thread so most of my points have already been covered. So I'll just go sit in the not-too-put-off-by-this-team corner.

I understand holding the team to high standards, but losing to the Bruins and Wings (this one on the road) by a goal? I mean it could be worse- we could be rooting for the Rangers :)

I also think we are seeing the consequences of not bringing VP back.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I agree, but there was a huge drop in talent during his draft year after #3.
And Howson finally drafted for need and picked a center.

Howson's drafting was horrible besides a few surprises picked in later rounds. Picking Murray over Galchenyuk was one of his worst. I was never excited about Joey, but won't try and say Fowler would have been better. But it's a very large oversight to look at what our D-corps was, what our offensive core was, and then pick a defensman and bank everything on Joey developing properly, and then bring him up too early to the NHL.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Howson's drafting was horrible besides a few surprises picked in later rounds. Picking Murray over Galchenyuk was one of his worst. I was never excited about Joey, but won't try and say Fowler would have been better. But it's a very large oversight to look at what our D-corps was, what our offensive core was, and then pick a defensman and bank everything on Joey developing properly, and then bring him up too early to the NHL.

I was a Galchenyuk guy too, and I was displeased with many of Howson's choices, but seriously we've been over this and the worst you can say about Howson's drafting is that he was average. I think his first rounds were average but taken together with his later round drafting he was well above average in drafting

I remember my first ever post on this site was wading into the Howson's drafting discussion. I looked at his picks in context. More specifically, I looked at the two picks prior and the two picks after and asked where Howson's pick would be ranked. For example, for 2010:

Seguin
Gudbranson
Johansen
Neiderreiter
Connolly

Johansen is easily better than all but Seguin here. That's good work by Howson, and on average he does well even if you take Filatov into account as a huge minus.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
go ahead and get it out of your systems now before tomorrow night

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 16m
#CBJ coach Todd Richards expect to use same lineup vs. #Canadiens on Thursday as played in 2-1 loss to Detroit on Tuesday.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

:help:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Folingo and Calvert were missed last night but with Calvert out six weeks we best forget about him for awhile.... the lack of scoring seems to be the biggest problem right now but chemistry takes time... puck control and possession could use some work..

Best play of the game...the Atkinson rush and score... that replay above is sweet.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Yes, most of us are aware of that. Missing multiple games for that reason is odd.

It one of the most important times in a person's life.
For all three of them.
Life>Hockey/

Glad all is well, at least for today. :)

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
It one of the most important times in a person's life.
For all three of them.
Life>Hockey/

Glad all is well, at least for today. :)

Agreed, I have a daughter myself, but most players miss a practice, or one game at most. Again, I hope everything is OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad