GDT: Game 5: Columbus at Detroit | 10/15 8PM EDT

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I did say that right now, today, he is a fourth liner ... I'm not disagreeing with that. All I'm saying is that beating him down after 5 NHL games is an unfair assessment. We've seen guys tear the league up in their first handful of games, and where has it gotten them?

True but the offense we can expect from him tomorrow is about the same as what we can expect from Mackenzie.

My overall point is that we need to add another scorer or top-6 forward who brings offense. We probably need to do so before Horton comes back. In essence we have no second line besides maybe Johansen at center. Calvert, Letestu, and Anisimov aren't cutting it offensively and seem much more at home with 3rd or 4th line minutes. Hopefully Calvert's injury was what was holding him back.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
i hope he proves me wrong but hes been mismanaged horribly imo.. for a 4th overall pick he hasnt progressed as linearly as hoped

I agree, but there was a huge drop in talent during his draft year after #3.
And Howson finally drafted for need and picked a center.

I would be for moving Johansen if it meant bringing in a top6 LW.
Arty & Dubi can handle top6 C rolls.
And Umby/Boone can fill in during injuries.
And Wennberg and Dano are in the minors.

I can't think of any reason why we shouldn't move him.
Provided we could fill a need in the process.
But it would have to be a very good offer
Because I see him as a good 3rd line Shutdown C, right now
If he develops his offensive game, He could be a Top line C
But I doubt he ever becomes a franchise superstar C

So trade him.:nod:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
i hope he proves me wrong but hes been mismanaged horribly imo.. for a 4th overall pick he hasnt progressed as linearly as hoped

Which is funny, considering that the entire 2010 draft class is full of guys who haven't come along as expected. Jeff Skinner and Cam Fowler looked like they'd be perennial All-Stars, and they've gone in reverse since their rookie years. Outside of them and Hall/Seguin at the top, there's a lot of question marks all over the first round.

Now, in Johansen's case, I can't find a single person in the run up to the draft who had a single word to say about his defensive ability. It's not for lack of trying; everyone knows I do my research. There's plenty of talk about elite playmaking ability and a very strong work ethic, but nothing at all about his own end. So we can only assume that he either grafted top-level defensive ability onto his game upon arriving in the NHL, that he could do it originally but was outshone by his offensive skills, or that maybe he hasn't been mismanaged. Maybe Arniel was onto something when he had Johansen playing not just on the 3rd and 4th lines, but specifically in defensive roles.

He has progressed, and I'd say quite substantially, just in a different manner that a lot of people expected. A lot of people expected him to be centering Rick Nash for 15 years, or feeding his linemates Nash and Jeff Carter.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is not a good Jackets team.

I've never seen passing so poorly from a hockey team.

Of all the total garbage being posted in this thread - an there is a steaming pile to be sure - this is the totalest. Never? Never ever? In your whole life?

Damn right this team better start scoring more. And damn right I don't care who the opponent is. And damn right I think there might be some lineup issues. But the wailing, gnashing of teeth, rending of clothes and general bridge-jumping and sky-falling that's being done in this thread is... well, let's just say I've never seen asshattery so over-the-top from a forum in my life, ever.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Amazing that, 5 games into a season where the team is 2-3 and posts an even goals for/against ratio, people have given up hope already.

Personally, I'm far more optimistic about the start of this team than I have been for any other Blue Jackets team in history. We've competed with some of the best the league has to offer, and haven't seen our team fold and get blown out in any of the games. They've played hard, and aside from a few mistakes, have been pretty good. Let them get some chemistry, wait for Nathan Horton to come along and give them another scoring threat, and I think the sky is the future for these guys.

Perk up, folks ... still 77 games to go. We tied for the final playoff spot last year, in a shortened season that we started 1-3-1 (outscored 17-8).

I'm with you, SL.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Ok, time to be constructive.

It looks like we have one good scoring line and a bunch of cold players right now. I think we especially need to get Arty on track. Perhaps we can reunite him with Gaborik and a Prospal-esque sniper, Letestu? Hopefully Dubinsky would still stay productive with Cam, those two were great down the stretch last year along with Calvert/Comeau.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Im already tired of this season

Once again, weren't you calling people out a few GDTs ago for cliff diving? Now you're giving up on the season after 5 games? I don't get it.

How does one go from one end of the fandom spectrum to the other after 3 or so games? Not saying you're wrong. Just found it curious.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Ok, time to be constructive.

It looks like we have one good scoring line and a bunch of cold players right now. I think we especially need to get Arty on track. Perhaps we can reunite him with Gaborik and a Prospal-esque sniper, Letestu? Hopefully Dubinsky would still stay productive with Cam, those two were great down the stretch last year along with Calvert/Comeau.

The key to this season is getting the 2nd line going. We have a decent 1st line that I think could match up with most in the NHL. The problem is, they're drawing the appropriate defensive matchups against the best.

It's time for Johansen to start scoring. He's capable of more and 3 years after he was drafted, needs to show us why he was drafted 4th overall. For all that noise about Umberger losing weight, he sure looks like the old Umberger, Anisimov, etc.

On another subject, I thought our defense played the best game of the season. Few-to-no colossal screw ups.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I do think it has been a mistake to surround Arty with what are essentially checking line players. But to be honest, until Horton returns I do not see where we have enough offensive talent to expect to have a second scoring line. Ok, Horton comes back and you team him with Arty and, let's say Letestu and maybe we have something going there. But there seems to have been a significant mistake coming off the preseason to have expected Boone Jenner to play first line duty. It does seem to get back to the questionable call to let Vinny go without replacing him.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'm just guessing Arty still isn't 100% and they're still easing him into the lineup...but yeah, we need to see some secondary scoring start happening soon to stay in this...

just want us to tread water until we get Calvert and Horton back...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I thought I was a negative person till I read the GDT after a loss.

I considered deleting my posts above as a little unfair. After all, gut-level reaction posts in a GDT aren't always representational, and since I was reading them out of context, maybe I was being a little harsh.

Then I realized that my posts are also gut-level reactions in a GDT, and left them be.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I considered deleting my posts above as a little unfair. After all, gut-level reaction posts in a GDT aren't always representational, and since I was reading them out of context, maybe I was being a little harsh.

Then I realized that my posts are also gut-level reactions in a GDT, and left them be.

i found yours and Sams to be pretty spot on...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

There are several regular posters who are particularly prone to dives into the darkest wells of doom whenever the CBJ is scored upon (or have a pass go amiss, for that matter!), so I normally dismiss their GDT posts with a head shake and a sigh. Not to say I never share their outrage, just not often.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Tough loss, good effort, but this team is lacking something. We are 2-3 with 3 one goal losses, gotta find away to get more offense out of this group. Don't expect any moves guys, there aren't any to be had.

Maybe its the injuries/illness/personal absence, or Horton out, but something is not right offensively, and needs corrected.

The first PP goal can't happen, you can't turn over a puck on a 2 v 1 rush while short handed, and hand the Wings a 4 on 2 the other way. If Anisimov handles that pass, its a different game.

I hope Cam is coming to life, and I hope Gaborik was indeed playing sick because he looked like a slug out there.

On to the next game, please step away from the cliff.

ps, this is the David Savard I thought we'd see last year. Nice to have that kind of depth on defense.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I do think it has been a mistake to surround Arty with what are essentially checking line players. But to be honest, until Horton returns I do not see where we have enough offensive talent to expect to have a second scoring line. Ok, Horton comes back and you team him with Arty and, let's say Letestu and maybe we have something going there. But there seems to have been a significant mistake coming off the preseason to have expected Boone Jenner to play first line duty. It does seem to get back to the questionable call to let Vinny go without replacing him.

This is probably the best post of the thread. Take away Foligno's 2 flukey goals and we have two forwards with 2 goals through 5 games. Somehow some way this team needs to add another real top 6 F or it is going to be a long season imo Horton's return not withstanding.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
for the ledge jumpers...chew on this

Mark ‏@RedditCBJ 1m
Eliminate just a couple major mistakes against Calgary and Detroit and this is a 4-1-0 hockey team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I guess I'm the only one that enjoyed this hockey game and thought we played pretty well most of the night.

I really liked the work from the top line. I thought RJ and Johansen started to get it going a bit. I liked our neutral zone play until about mid way through the 3rd. Oh and Jenner played hard.

That was a much better Detroit club then we saw last season on display last night.

At any rate, continue on with the silly cliff jumping.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I guess I'm the only one that enjoyed this hockey game and thought we played pretty well most of the night.

I really liked the work from the top line. I thought RJ and Johansen started to get it going a bit. I liked our neutral zone play until about mid way through the 3rd.
That was a much better Detroit club then we saw last season on display last night.

At any rate, continue on with the silly cliff jumping.

Absolutely agree, we just need a little more offense...and I do think the answer is in the room (including Horton). Gotta score some goals boys. Solid on D and in net.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
SIR YES SIR!

I'll check out the vid when I get home, however don't call me sir. I work for a living!

I will say, last night, there were times watching the game that I was really impressed with the chemistry and confidence of the team. They were doing things that I haven't seen this team do much of over the years and they were doing it consistently.

What I see, personally, is a group of players that are on the edge of breaking out. I saw a good game against a top team on the road. Are there things that need improved? Sure.

If Prospal was on the team we would probably have another win or two. We should still be very much in it when Horton makes his debut.

I really like how engaged Gaborik is. Atkinson is turning into a top line player in front of our eyes.

I see a lot to be optimistic about.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Mark ‏@RedditCBJ 1m
Eliminate just a couple major mistakes against Calgary and Detroit and this is a 4-1-0 hockey team.

Why not take away the 2 goals that Bob could have stopped against Boston and we're 5-0. Or take away some great stops by Bob and Foligno's flukey goals, add in a what if or two by the other guys and we're 0-5. :laugh:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Mark ‏@RedditCBJ 1m

That could be said for just about any team at this point except the Rangers and Oilers. They have made more than a few major mistakes. The point is that good teams don't make major mistakes often. This team historically seems to be good for at least 1 per game and that has continued into this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad