GDT: Game 5: Columbus at Detroit | 10/15 8PM EDT

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
It one of the most important times in a person's life.
For all three of them.
Life>Hockey/

Glad all is well, at least for today. :)

Again, understood. What I think may be of concern, though, is that Nick flew to Detroit after the birth, did not play, and returned to Columbus to deal with a "family matter." I think the worry is that some issue may have arisen. I hope not, and certainly agree with you on the relative importance of hockey in the lives of a young family. We all wish the Foligno family nothing but joy and happiness on their new addition.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yes, congratulations to the Foligno's! Hopefully we can draft the little guy in eighteen years. And I wouldn't mind if players took weeks off for paternity leave (as long as all teams do it, of course).

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Agreed, I have a daughter myself, but most players miss a practice, or one game at most. Again, I hope everything is OK.

Again, understood. What I think may be of concern, though, is that Nick flew to Detroit after the birth, did not play, and returned to Columbus to deal with a "family matter." I think the worry is that some issue may have arisen. I hope not, and certainly agree with you on the relative importance of hockey in the lives of a young family. We all wish the Foligno family nothing but joy and happiness on their new addition.

Right, I was wondering if something had happened, since players don't usually miss much hockey action after their kids are born, though it certainly is an important reason.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Most of us are still in the April mindset in which each and every loss meant doom and gloom, and need to understand its only October in a full 82.

I think this is for sure the case with alot of people, including myself at times.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was a Galchenyuk guy too, and I was displeased with many of Howson's choices, but seriously we've been over this and the worst you can say about Howson's drafting is that he was average. I think his first rounds were average but taken together with his later round drafting he was well above average in drafting

I remember my first ever post on this site was wading into the Howson's drafting discussion. I looked at his picks in context. More specifically, I looked at the two picks prior and the two picks after and asked where Howson's pick would be ranked. For example, for 2010:

Seguin
Gudbranson
Johansen
Neiderreiter
Connolly

Johansen is easily better than all but Seguin here. That's good work by Howson, and on average he does well even if you take Filatov into account as a huge minus.

I'm not sure he will have a better career than Connolly. He has played more in the NHL so far but time will be the final arbiter.

K33Z

May 14, 2009
I got to see the full game on HD -wich is rare- (I must thank the NHL for the free previews until october 19) so I thought I would share my thoughts with everyone.

We didnt play very well IMO. We couldn't generate any real scoring chances: we had alot of shots but in general they were weak attempts at scoring. The wings played well and kept us on the perimeter inside their zone and wouldn't let us gather speed through the neutral zone while cashing in when they had a chance at scoring. We played decent throughout the game, did not generate any good offence (not counting Atkinson's goal), made some stupid plays (Boll not clearing the puck - takes a hooking/holding penalty - bad bad decision by Mckenzie with a man down - 3 on 1 in the slot with Alfredson/Datsyuk/? = goal). We will have to compete harder if we want to win against good teams (the Wings are old but they are well coached).

On the bright side, I really like Murray and Jenner. Murray took some good decisions on some plays (poking the puck while accepting a check which the led to a D zone clear really impressed me: that was a move well above the level of a rookie) and I liked his overall positioning. That was the first time I saw Jenner play and I love the offensive potential he has. He took a nice slapper in the first but somewhat dissapeared in the second and third periods. I thought the other players played 'alright'. Atkinson and Johansen were our best players as they both tried to makes things happen in the offensive throughout the night. Mckenzie was bad. Bob played good but he wasn't really tested that much tonight and he would for sure want the first goal back he looked pissed from what I saw. Someone has pointed out the we lost all our games by 1 goal and I agree with him; no need to panic.

On a side note I was watching the game with the wings feed and thought these guys were pretty good compared to Rimmer and Davidge until the analyst (not the play-by play guy) started crying about Tyutin slewfooting Bertuzzi. Serious lol at this guy. He must have cried at least 5 times about that play for a good 10 seconds each time when the repay didn't show much really. Then he starting comparing Datsyuk and Atkinson's skills and saying things like 'well that sucks Atkinson because you'll never have his skills, haha' right after his really nice goal. I had to put him on mute after his 4th or 5th complaint on Tyutin but I got to admit I laughed a couple of times.

Hoping for a good game vs MTL tomorrow!

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Agreed, I have a daughter myself, but most players miss a practice, or one game at most. Again, I hope everything is OK.

Yeah I agree, most of the time childbirth means 1 absence. Hopefully the extended absence isn't for anything bad at home.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I was a Galchenyuk guy too, and I was displeased with many of Howson's choices, but seriously we've been over this and the worst you can say about Howson's drafting is that he was average. I think his first rounds were average but taken together with his later round drafting he was well above average in drafting

I remember my first ever post on this site was wading into the Howson's drafting discussion. I looked at his picks in context. More specifically, I looked at the two picks prior and the two picks after and asked where Howson's pick would be ranked. For example, for 2010:

Seguin
Gudbranson
Johansen
Neiderreiter
Connolly

Johansen is easily better than all but Seguin here. That's good work by Howson, and on average he does well even if you take Filatov into account as a huge minus.

Howson was a good drafter. His trades weren't always on spot nor were his free agent moves, but overall he drafted well imo.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 5m
#CBJ F Nick Foligno (personal) will not join the team in Washington. Status for Sunday's home game vs Canucks TBD, coach Todd Richards said.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 5m
#CBJ F Nick Foligno (personal) will not join the team in Washington. Status for Sunday's home game vs Canucks TBD, coach Todd Richards said.

This is not good news. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad