GDT: Game 5: Bruins @ Coyotes | 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What if it's not from a deficit in execution or ability but rather a poorly conceived system of play? If that's the case, we're going to look bad until the coaching staff is replaced.

You guys are putting too much emphasis on the system. Like Richardson said, hockey is hockey, it's about compete and effort, doing the little things it takes to win. You can talk about systems and all that stuff but if you are not working hard it doesn't matter. That's it in a nutshell.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm still mourning the loss of Tim Bits and a damn fine cup of hot chocolate at Gila River Arena. The arrival of the Boston Bruins only makes the pain worse. I'll be counting on Clayton Keller to, metaphorically, slay the heretic Dunkin Donut eaters from Beantown.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
You don't think turnovers might be happening more frequently because players don't know where their teammates are, or because they're stuck out of position themselves?

When the whole team is underperforming, to a player, I think it's a safe bet there's a coaching issue at play.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
October 9, 2010.

The Coyotes won 5-2. The game was played in Prague. The winning goalie was Ilya Bryzgalov. We got goals from Eric Belanger, Taylor Pyatt, Scottie Upshall, and a pair from Radim Vrbata.

Hey thanks for reminding me - I'll be there tonight with my Coyotes/Bruins banner I bought at that game.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
If we keep playing games like we did against Detroit, we should win more than we lose. Nobody - NOBODY - was beating Vegas on Tuesday night. I don't even count that game. With what happened and the way the game was opened up, that was tough. I was fighting back tears standing in the arena watching that. Raanta was nuts the game against them on Saturday, and we honestly should have gotten 2 points then. It's still really early, and the team just needs to focus up at certain points and will be fine. We could be playing like trash and sitting where we are, but honestly I feel the team is playing well, and they are fun to watch. Expectations weren't high going in this year, but the fact that they are fun to watch, I'll take it. Things are looking up.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
You don't think turnovers might be happening more frequently because players don't know where their teammates are, or because they're stuck out of position themselves?

When the whole team is underperforming, to a player, I think it's a safe bet there's a coaching issue at play.
I agree with your last sentence with the caveat that it could still be that they're learning to play his system. If we're still having this conversation in a month then either the system is garbage or the coach can't teach it, in either case that's a coaching issue. But I think this early it may not be a coaching issue so much as just the team going through growing pains as it learns the ins and outs.

I'm still mourning the loss of Tim Bits and a damn fine cup of hot chocolate at Gila River Arena. The arrival of the Boston Bruins only makes the pain worse. I'll be counting on Clayton Keller to, metaphorically, slay the heretic Dunkin Donut eaters from Beantown.
They need to open the stupid upstairs dunkin. I want dunkin coffee damn it, and I don't have time to go downstairs unless I miss some game time. Although the regular arena coffee shockingly wasn't too bad on Thursday.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

After four games into the season and it's a coaching problem. Richardson was right on the mark with his statement. The players have to look in the mirror and take accountability. Who's fault is it if the players are out of position?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I agree with your last sentence with the caveat that it could still be that they're learning to play his system. If we're still having this conversation in a month then either the system is garbage or the coach can't teach it, in either case that's a coaching issue. But I think this early it may not be a coaching issue so much as just the team going through growing pains as it learns the ins and outs.

Right. I think you get get over your skis to jump right to the system. There was some of this around here in the SECOND GAME. Some of the folks doing so are doing it as a reaction to previous patterns of posting in previous seasons, you know who you are :P They probably enjoy it a bit. But those previous posting patterns were due to years of viewing. We've got 4 games and a handful of lulzy preseason games with slashes called every 5 seconds.

I'm with you that it's not the right time to jump there just yet. I'm totally willing to throw Tocc under the bus if it comes to it, he wasn't even in my top 5 of choices for coach. But it's hard to take anything in a 4 game sample size terribly serious on a systemic issue.

It would be like a doctor jumping right to lung cancer for a cough. Gotta run the full battery of tests first.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Right. I think you get get over your skis to jump right to the system. There was some of this around here in the SECOND GAME. Some of the folks doing so are doing it as a reaction to previous patterns of posting in previous seasons, you know who you are :P They probably enjoy it a bit. But those previous posting patterns were due to years of viewing. We've got 4 games and a handful of lulzy preseason games with slashes called every 5 seconds.

I'm with you that it's not the right time to jump there just yet. I'm totally willing to throw Tocc under the bus if it comes to it, he wasn't even in my top 5 of choices for coach. But it's hard to take anything in a 4 game sample size terribly serious on a systemic issue.

It would be like a doctor jumping right to lung cancer for a cough. Gotta run the full battery of tests first.
That was me and I let my emotions go on a roll. I'm content to see how this plays out but if I see the same kind of shit on the ice I'm going to do the rt/_del_ dance.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Yup 4 years vs 4 games isn't quite the same sample size haha.

There's a reason why most here expected a slow start, there's been so much turnover that it's going to take some time. Even though it hasn't been pretty, it's waaaay too early to judge much about the coaching, or even too much about the players. But like I said earlier, if we're still having this conversation a month from now I'm very worried.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Apparently Boston hasn't been very good so far this year, they lost b2b games against the avs, and it looks like Bergeron isn't playing. That along with their back up goalie being in makes this a much easier match up. I'm going to get crazy and predict a coyotes win.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's still early and our goalie has missed some time. We should be playing better with our vet D core and Stepan/Richardson as experienced centers. We kind of look like we did in the TGO days or like the Oilers of a few years ago. DVO/Keller/Strome/Crouse/Perlini/Kempe/Fischer/Duclair are all border line NHL players. All could spend time in the AHL this year, some have already, and some should be in the AHL for the year. Integrating all these young players is going to cause bumps in the road especially when our D core and goalie have been sub par. Tocc might have to simplify his game plan so that he isn't expecting too much from the young players. Too early to tell if our problems are coaching related, underperforming players, the system, usage issues, or young players. Lets see how the team is playing at the 10 and 20 game marks before drawing conclusions.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Goligoski gets the revolving "A" tonight. Always makes me think of this...

i-told-you-were-an-anarcho-syndicalist-commune-we-take-it-in-turns-to-act-as-a-sort-of-executive-off.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad