GDT: Game 47: New York Rangers @ San Jose Sharks , 10:30pm ET, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Are you saying Kakko was punished vs the Ducks? The team needed offense down 2-0. Coaches think Kakko at this point is a defensive forward. He has what, 5 points on the year? Same with Lindgren. Was he punished when they moved Gus up? Interesting that when it got to 3-2 Rangers, Kakko was back to top line and Lindgren was with Fox and Gus didn't play from the time we went ahead until it was 5-2. It was game dictated situational moves.

They do? Why did they put Wheeler in his spot when we were up a goal a couple games ago late in the 3rd?

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
They do? Why did they put Wheeler in his spot when we were up a goal a couple games ago late in the 3rd?
Touche. I'll reword that. The coaches don't think Kakko is an offensive force. Therefore, down 2-0, they wanted more offense on that line. But in my defense, Kakko was back on that line when we went up 3-2.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Touche. I'll reword that. The coaches don't think Kakko is an offensive force. Therefore, down 2-0, they wanted more offense on that line. But in my defense, Kakko was back on that line when we went up 3-2.
This is the 3rd coach who doesn't quite know what to make of Kakko. At some point the problem is the player.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Might be. But my point is that he wasn't benched for cause or punished on Sunday.
Staple seems to think otherwise & I agree with him...

Of course, Laviolette shuffled the lines when the team was down 2-0 on Sunday and Kaapo Kakko was the odd man out, playing just 8:08. Laviolette wouldn’t go into his reasons for the benching, but that’s what it was — and a hint that maybe the Rangers don’t feel Kakko is the right person for the spot alongside Kreider and Mika Zibanejad.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017

Again, I'll point out that he immediately returned to that line at 3-2. Lavi also said that KK got his usual time on the 2nd PP unit during the period where he was off the Mika line. It wasn't a case where the coach put the player at the end of the bench and said you aren't playing like Keenen did to Leetch.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Again, I'll point out that he immediately returned to that line at 3-2. Lavi also said that KK got his usual time on the 2nd PP unit during the period where he was off the Mika line. It wasn't a case where the coach put the player at the end of the bench and said you aren't playing like Keenen did to Leetch.
This wasn't a one time thing since he's been back...I also noted he was being skipped shifts in either the LA or Vegas GDT, can't recall which one. Three NHL coaches now have seen what few of here want to admit, this kid looks like a career 3rd liner who doesn't do much, if anything, well. His skating is a huge problem because he is constantly half a tick behind the play or his lack of speed enables defenders to close on him & suffocate him almost immediately. Sad to say, it's looking pretty bleak for his future here.

Reactions: yrrebbor

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I wrote an eloquent and detailed message before this dogshit website randomly refreshed and erased it. So I’ll keep it short and sweet.

They do this every year where they’re on the precipice of making meaningful personnel changes and one miracle win against a dog water team saves them from the slash and burn method. I think it’s time we explore changing the other variables instead of coaching. Team is mentally weak, they don’t do the simple things needed to win hockey games. It’s like pulling teeth for them. We’ll be having the same conversation like we do every year when we play down to our competition in playoffs. This iteration of this core (5 years now?) needs to go.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
This wasn't a one time thing since he's been back...I also noted he was being skipped shifts in either the LA or Vegas GDT, can't recall which one. Three NHL coaches now have seen what few of here want to admit, this kid looks like a career 3rd liner who doesn't do much, if anything, well. His skating is a huge problem because he is constantly half a tick behind the play or his lack of speed enables defenders to close on him & suffocate him almost immediately. Sad to say, it's looking pretty bleak for his future here.
He's not scoring points. And with us always in panic mode because nobody else is either, he is the first guy to be bumped down. It is what it is. I'm not reading anything into it. Jury's still out

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I wrote an eloquent and detailed message before this dogshit website randomly refreshed and erased it. So I’ll keep it short and sweet.

They do this every year where they’re on the precipice of making meaningful personnel changes and one miracle win against a dog water team saves them from the slash and burn method. I think it’s time we explore changing the other variables instead of coaching. Team is mentally weak, they don’t do the simple things needed to win hockey games. It’s like pulling teeth for them. We’ll be having the same conversation like we do every year when we play down to our competition in playoffs. This iteration of this core (5 years now?) needs to go.

What meaningful personnel changes did you anticipate? Outside of trading Lindgren, Miller or Kakko its all just wishcasting. No core player is leaving mid-season.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Lmao Kakko has been back from injury for 2 minutes and they are sending a message he's not the right fit at the wing with Kreider and Mika? That's fantastic haha. I didn't see the game the other night so can't say if benching was justified but it seems these two are given plenty of time to figure it out.

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
Not gonna try and predict the score again for tonight, but I do expect the Misery Index to be running about 90%.

Maybe more like 93 %.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

The problem and question I have is that Mika and Kreider's play is worse when Kakko isn't on their line so when are the Rangers/Lavi going to turn their attention to the guys that are 8 years older than Kakko and make four times as much as him?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Please...

Please...don't beat the 30th placed team only to get spanked by the team placed f***ing last!
The standings say one thing, but the Sharks are a better team than the ducks.

I can’t believe I’m actually going to torture myself by watching David Quinn hockey at 11pm on a weekday
I’m going to torture myself by driving to my men’s league game which starts at the same time .

Won’t know the score until it’s over. Predicting a 1-0 shootout win for the the mighty Rongos.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
When are people going to understand that even the Sharks are an NHL team with NHL players. They just beat LA last night, a team that we lost to a few days ago. There is no easy game in the NHL especially on the road. Some people just look at the standings and say, Oh we should kick their ass. That's not the way it works.

Reactions: ncdoc and FUZfan

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The problem and question I have is that Mika and Kreider's play is worse when Kakko isn't on their line so when are the Rangers/Lavi going to turn their attention to the guys that are 8 years older than Kakko and make four times as much as him?
Blasphemy!!!!

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Lmao Kakko has been back from injury for 2 minutes and they are sending a message he's not the right fit at the wing with Kreider and Mika? That's fantastic haha. I didn't see the game the other night so can't say if benching was justified but it seems these two are given plenty of time to figure it out.
Methinks the simplest answer is that the Bromancers don't play well with others.....

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How the hell are we still 8th on the PK? It seems like we allow at least one goal on the PP every game with the exception of last game.
If you take a lot of penalties, you can maintain a high percentage.
giphy.gif

Just kidding. We actually don't take many.
EDIT: My phone was at 42. If we do a reverse jink, that means Kakko is coming to play tonight. ...or Anisimov is coming.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

It’s not all on coaching. But it’s also coaching. I mean, how f***ing hard would it be to break up the bromances? It’s not like they tried it and it didn’t work out. They don’t even try.

Laviolette is using the same exact lines, PP, and D pairings that Gallant used, so what exactly do you do here , Pete??

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
What meaningful personnel changes did you anticipate? Outside of trading Lindgren, Miller or Kakko its all just wishcasting. No core player is leaving mid-season.

Start plugging in Wolf Pack players. Can't be worse than seeing Goodrow, Bonino, Pierogi night in, night out.

It’s not all on coaching. But it’s also coaching. I mean, how f***ing hard would it be to break up the bromances? It’s not like they tried it and it didn’t work out. They don’t even try.

Laviolette is using the same exact lines, PP, and D pairings that Gallant used, so what exactly do you do here , Pete??

None of this "players disliking him, him losing players." He should have known and still should know he has carte blanche over this team with the way things transpired under Turk.

I prefer an $8.5 million turd sitting up in the rafters and getting moody that he's not playing vs. one that is just going through the motions and is as inspid as tofu.

Even throw certain players under the bus to the media.

"Would be nice to have a captain who shows his emotions out on the ice rather than waiting for closed doors."

But no. He thinks they have been playing well.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

He's basically the same as Gallant. Same D pairings and lines. He sits Bonino for 1 game and he's back the next. I don't see any discernable difference between the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad