GDT: Game 46: Columbus at Ottawa | 1/22 5PM

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I wouldn't mind seeing Zach sit the next two games anyway. You've got NYI and NSH coming up, Bob will probably start both, and then the All-Star break. Give the kid a few days to rest the ankle, watch from the press box, and then have a weekend break for the ASG and maybe that will be enough to heal up and recharge the batteries.

Zack sitting two games before a 4 day break- :handclap:

Bob starting both - :shakehead - he has to play in the ASG, so give him the Nashville game off.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Great perspective.

The only thing that matters to me at this point is that the team continues to learn and grow. I don't really care if they slide a bit to come back to the pack. That's probably going to happen over time anyway. What is important to me is that they continue to learn and believe that when they play their game, they can beat anyone. That's the important stuff when the real games begin.

This, and the reality is that we are in a league with a lot of cap induced parity. Ottawa and Carolina are good teams, teams that played us straight up or with advantage over the last 2 weeks.

We are not the best team in the league.

We are not the best team in the East.

We are not the best team in the Metro.

We are good and we are young, and we can beat anyone when we get a few bounces, play well, and get goaltending. How far this team can go will depend on health, maturation, and the bounce of the puck.

Its never been so good for the CBJ and the future looks promising.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Bob is included, I have no problem saying this team is one of the best teams.

I don't think they're as good as the Caps even with Bob included, but I can't think of another team that is clearly ahead of the Jackets. We'll see how they fare against the Pens and other Metro opponents down the stretch.

anteater90

Jun 26, 2006
Hilliard
First in war, first in peace...and first in the NHL? :laugh:

First tie breaker points. We are Even

Second tie breaker. Points in games played. We are even.

Third Tie Breaker. ROW. We are even. Shootout wins do not count. IT is how we lost out to Minnesota a few years back.

Fourth Tie Breaker I believe is regulation losses. They have fewer.

Someone correct me if need be.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
First tie breaker points. We are Even

Second tie breaker. Points in games played. We are even.

Third Tie Breaker. ROW. We are even. Shootout wins do not count. IT is how we lost out to Minnesota a few years back.

Fourth Tie Breaker I believe is regulation losses. They have fewer.

Someone correct me if need be.

Not quite:

1) Points
2) ROW
3) The tricky rule: Head to Head.....The natural thought is "CBJ are 2-1 vs Washington" so we win head to head, but it's not that easy with NHL. The NHL says "If there are ODD number of games played, then we drop the first home game of the team that's hosted the most games". In this case, Washington has hosted 2 games and we have hosted 1. So, they drop Washington's first home game, which is the one we won. They then calculate the points of the remaining games to determine tie breaker. In this case, we are 1-1-0 = 2 points. Washington is 1-0-1 for 3 points. 3 points > 2 points

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Not quite:

1) Points
2) ROW
3) The tricky rule: Head to Head.....The natural thought is "CBJ are 2-1 vs Washington" so we win head to head, but it's not that easy with NHL. The NHL says "If there are ODD number of games played, then we drop the first home game of the team that's hosted the most games". In this case, Washington has hosted 2 games and we have hosted 1. So, they drop Washington's first home game, which is the one we won. They then calculate the points of the remaining games to determine tie breaker. In this case, we are 1-1-0 = 2 points. Washington is 1-0-1 for 3 points. 3 points > 2 points

Thank you. Strange way of doing it IMO.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't think we should be worried about points and tie breakers at this time. We should be focused upon our quality of play going forward. And with that as the focus, we hardly seem "tied" with the Caps.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I don't think we should be worried about points and tie breakers at this time. We should be focused upon our quality of play going forward. And with that as the focus, we hardly seem "tied" with the Caps.

The Caps are on a hot streak, the CBJ is playing .500 and they are, in fact, tied with the best record in the league. Only one team in hockey has 31 wins - Columbus. Seems as if a focus on play going forward should recognize that reality, as well.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Yeah...yeah....1st line is a disgrace and what not. We should worry about that instead of enjoying the moment of being tied for 1st in the league coming into the ASG break :(

anteater90

Jun 26, 2006
Hilliard
Not quite:

1) Points
2) ROW

Thank you!

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I think the Jackets can beat the Caps (they have after all beaten them 2 out of 3 this year). That said, if Holtby plays like he did against the CBJ last time, then the CBJ aren't beating them. Neither is probably anyone else. Holtby dominated that last game to the point that the Jackets kind of gave up halfway through. However, we just saw a goalie who shut us out last week give up 7 goals last night.

I'm with Nordique. I don't think the Jackets are the best team in the league despite their record, but they are very good albeit young and prone to ups/downs. If Bob stays healthy they are a cup contender... unlike say the NBA where you pretty much know who the contenders are (barring injuries), you just never know what you're going to get in the NHL playoffs until they happen. Washington of all teams knows that well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cam falling into the net ... hilarious.

Surprised Condon didn't know he'd go bottom right corner.. he always does :)

Condon was more worried about the overhead flip haha.

What a ridiculous game, I said it before I would be happy if Ottawa gets a point. Despite the blown leads etc im still happy at the end of the day.

Been watching a ton of your team this year, very entertaining really happy with how well Columbus is playing. Love the physicality and compete level, I have a bunch of your guys on my keeper team.

That game was shinny hockey at the NHL level fun to watch but like another poster said burn the tape.

Good luck the rest of the way!

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Sedlak is playing well recently. He's also money in breakaways. Something to consider for our next shootout

He's got more goals than Dubinski and if you average that versus ice time a and salary he's really money. I'm glad his minutes are being controlled so he can develop (good job Torts!), but I can't help but imagine what his production will be like when he starts playing 16 minutes a game and sees some PP time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's got more goals than Dubinski and if you average that versus ice time a and salary he's really money. I'm glad his minutes are being controlled so he can develop (good job Torts!), but I can't help but imagine what his production will be like when he starts playing 16 minutes a game and sees some PP time.

Sedlak is 23. He barely stayed in the system as a bottom sixer in the AHL. He hardly scored for years until last March when it all clicked for him. I don't think he had more than 7 or 8 points for the Monsters this time a year ago. It's already a miracle that he's here. It's a second miracle that he's scoring. It'd be a third if he sticks on an NHL PP.

WhiteWings*

Sep 1, 2016
Sedlak is 23. He barely stayed in the system as a bottom sixer in the AHL. He hardly scored for years until last March when it all clicked for him. I don't think he had more than 7 or 8 points for the Monsters this time a year ago. It's already a miracle that he's here. It's a second miracle that he's scoring. It'd be a third if he sticks on an NHL PP.
Sedlak had 3(1+2) points in 27 games this time a year ago. He had 8(4+4) points after 44 games, but then he scored 10 goals in the last 10 games to finish the regular season and now he's in the NHL. What a turn around for him. And I think he's never played on the PP even for the Monsters.
http://theahl.com/player?playerId=4934&season=51&statsType=standard

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He is also scoring more goals than Wennberg and Saad combined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad