GDT: Game 46: Anaheim Ducks vs. New York Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Despite no shots for half the game, the offsides on Mac’s goal was the beginning of the end.

After that what little engagement we had disappeared.

I think there was hope that there would be a noticeable improvement over last year. At least the basic fundamentals of the game. That hasn’t happened.

But the biggest fear, at least for me, is next year. What if this is all we get?

John

Reactions: snowave

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There's a number of reasons why the team isn't performing well and not one of them are because they got rid of Eakins.

Under Eakins the team was always at the bottom of the league in shots given up. Most of the game they spent 90 percent of it in their own zone. With Cronin the team is at least cutting that down.

Ducks sit at 16th in the league in shots given up as of today. Last year they were 32nd. Is Cronin a great coach? probably not but hes at least a competent coach which is a huge improvement given what this team had.

Is it though?

Cronin is gifted with a better roster than last year's group. Cronin has/had a producing PP and PK units. And for all the improvement you say, the record after 46 games says differently. They're both at 31 points after 46 games.

And for all the improvement you say, I shared the splits with you before and after the 25 game mark. There isn't improvement on the record nor points productions after the 25 game mark. It's a downward trend. I didn't make up that record. Cronin earned that record.

As for shots allowed, I went through this last year with this board, Eakins changed our ES scheme to purposely induce more shots against around the 25 game mark. When he did that, the Ducks started earning more points.

But since you truly don't believe stats, I'll share last year's record production and shot against stats along the same splits as proof for your dis-belief-tertainment.

Ducks2022-23Eakins
Game SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts Pct
Total
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
30.0%​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
41.7%​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
50.0%​
62 to 82 (TDL +)
21​
3​
13​
5​
11​
26.2%​

Ducks2022-23Shots Stats
Game SetSFSASD
Total
28.4​
39.1​
-10.7​
1 to 25
30.24​
37.8​
-7.6​
26 to 49
28.67​
40.13​
-11.5​
50 to 61
26.55​
43.09​
-16.5​
62 to 82 (TDL +)
25.95​
37.67​
-11.7​

Eakins found a path to earn more points in a very unconventional way. And it's a huge sample from the 2022-23 season to dispute the flukiness. And he did it with the worst/2nd worst PP and PK units all season! I'm more impressed with what Eakins did with less than I am with Cronin thus far.

Can Cronin turn it around? I hope so. Right now, he's in a deep, downward trend. Someone did a stat split of our record after the 6-game winning streak.

• First 11 games (includes 6-game win streak):
    • Record = 7-4-0 (14 pts)
    • Pts Pct = 63.6%
  • Next 35 games:
    • Record 8-26-1 (16 pts)
    • Pts Pct = 22.9%

Yeah... I don't call that improvement.

I don't think Cronin will be fired after this season b/c Verbeek endorses Cronin's accountability and "improvements", plus Cronin is Verbeek's handpicked coach.

Reactions: snowave

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Despite no shots for half the game, the offsides on Mac’s goal was the beginning of the end.

I think there was hope that there would be a noticeable improvement over last year. At least the basic fundamentals of the game. That hasn’t happened.

But the biggest fear, at least for me, is next year. What if this is all we get?

John

I hope we at least get a new PP coach.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
We were ridiculously outnumbered by rag fans in my section tonight. So were the 2 sections on either side of us. I'm so f***ing tired of this shit. I'm tired of visiting teams invading our arena and celebrating wins. That offside review really took the wind out of the sails for the fans and for the team, too. We couldn't do jack after. Ughhh. I've said this a lot before but I cant help coming back to it. I thought us being swept by the sharks was gonna be the low point.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s clear that Carlsson will be this teams best player for many years. Excited to see what he can do with a real team around him.

He’s even a bit ahead of where Elias Pettersson was at Carlson’s age which is really exciting

Carlsson, Terry, Henrique, Vatrano, McTavish are are only forwards that can score.
And Henrique will be gone 5 weeks from now. Verbeek has a ton of work to do

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
We were ridiculously outnumbered by rag fans in my section tonight. So were the 2 sections on either side of us. I'm so f***ing tired of this shit. I'm tired of visiting teams invading our arena and celebrating wins. That offside review really took the wind out of the sails for the fans and for the team, too. We couldn't do jack after. Ughhh. I've said this a lot before but I cant help coming back to it. I thought us being swept by the sharks was gonna be the low point.
I haven't read the whole thread here (so it might have been already said), but wife and I were both saying we don't think we're ever seem that many opposing teams fans before... or at least it wasn't that obvious. NY fans are obviously vocal, etc... but the amount of blue in the stands was insane.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Games missed due to injury in 2022-23, from games 1 - 46: 190 games missed as per NHL Injury Viz.

View attachment 807906

2022-23Games 1-46
PlayerGames injured
Beaulieu
5​
Carrick
14​
Comtois
11​
Drysdale
38​
Gibson
5​
Grant
31​
Jones
12​
Kirkland
5​
Klingberg
7​
Lundestrom
21​
McTavish
1​
Shatty
5​
Silf
1​
Stolarz
9​
Vaak
25​
Total
190​

Research is supposed to be done completely if you are gonna call someone out. Omission of said research while promoting your own is worse than unfair, it's disingenuous and slanderous.

Now, mind you, we had worse talent on the ice last year compared to this year's talents, especially on defense.
Very valid point if your criteria is simply man games lost. Props to you for refuting the simplistic claim that I made. Looking deeper, i would argue that the quality of players lost this season has been more damaging to the W/L record than those of last year. Drysdale and Lundestrom kind of cancel each other out. Then we are left with Grant, Comtois, Carrick, and Vaaks vs. Zegras, Carlsson, Mintyukov, and Killorn. Both teams are bad, but this year's is better defensively and has been far more competitive. I'm not shilling for Cronin, he has made some poor decisions. But he is a vast improvement over Eakins.

Reactions: DavidBL

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
20240122_000328.jpg

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I haven't read the whole thread here (so it might have been already said), but wife and I were both saying we don't think we're ever seem that many opposing teams fans before... or at least it wasn't that obvious. NY fans are obviously vocal, etc... but the amount of blue in the stands was insane.
It’s pretty common with NYR everywhere. Tons of people have left New York in the last 100 years, so they have fans everywhere. They’re horrible to be around everywhere I’ve ever endured them. I’m told the actual fans in New York are different, but the traveling ones are all obnoxious entitled assholes who think no other fan base understands hockey, as they very loudly display a complete lack of knowledge about hockey.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s pretty common with NYR everywhere. Tons of people have left New York in the last 100 years, so they have fans everywhere. They’re horrible to be around everywhere I’ve ever endured them. I’m told the actual fans in New York are different, but the traveling ones are all obnoxious entitled assholes who think no other fan base understands hockey, as they very loudly display a complete lack of knowledge about hockey.

Rangers fans are beyond annoying. I cringe even when I'm at MSG, lol.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
I was too slow to bust out my camera in time but last night they had Rico, Leo, and Terry up with their stats, and some dumb dumb put Cams mug shot up instead of Leo’s.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Is it though?

Cronin is gifted with a better roster than last year's group. Cronin has/had a producing PP and PK units. And for all the improvement you say, the record after 46 games says differently. They're both at 31 points after 46 games.

And for all the improvement you say, I shared the splits with you before and after the 25 game mark. There isn't improvement on the record nor points productions after the 25 game mark. It's a downward trend. I didn't make up that record. Cronin earned that record.

As for shots allowed, I went through this last year with this board, Eakins changed our ES scheme to purposely induce more shots against around the 25 game mark. When he did that, the Ducks started earning more points.

But since you truly don't believe stats, I'll share last year's record production and shot against stats along the same splits as proof for your dis-belief-tertainment.

Ducks2022-23Eakins
Game SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts Pct
Total
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
30.0%​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
41.7%​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
50.0%​
62 to 82 (TDL +)
21​
3​
13​
5​
11​
26.2%​

Ducks2022-23Shots Stats
Game SetSFSASD
Total
28.4​
39.1​
-10.7​
1 to 25
30.24​
37.8​
-7.6​
26 to 49
28.67​
40.13​
-11.5​
50 to 61
26.55​
43.09​
-16.5​
62 to 82 (TDL +)
25.95​
37.67​
-11.7​

Eakins found a path to earn more points in a very unconventional way. And it's a huge sample from the 2022-23 season to dispute the flukiness. And he did it with the worst/2nd worst PP and PK units all season! I'm more impressed with what Eakins did with less than I am with Cronin thus far.

Can Cronin turn it around? I hope so. Right now, he's in a deep, downward trend. Someone did a stat split of our record after the 6-game winning streak.

• First 11 games (includes 6-game win streak):
    • Record = 7-4-0 (14 pts)
    • Pts Pct = 63.6%
  • Next 35 games:
    • Record 8-26-1 (16 pts)
    • Pts Pct = 22.9%

Yeah... I don't call that improvement.

I don't think Cronin will be fired after this season b/c Verbeek endorses Cronin's accountability and "improvements", plus Cronin is Verbeek's handpicked coach.
Cronin might have been gifted with a better roster than Eakins but he certainty doesn't have a better roster available to him.

Zegras has only played 20 games this season, Lundestrom 10, Leo 27. Fowler and Gibson have declined and McTavish is clearly playing through some sort of injury and as we found out this week, Killorn was too.

Eakins doing something with a bad powerplay unit isn't a plus. Being the head coach of the leagues worst powerplay unit isn't a good thing. He was a head coach, tell Brown to get out of the way with his crappy powerplay unit and draw something up.

Also you're putting way too much into loser points and OT wins. Ducks at this point in the season already have more regulation wins than they did all of last season and its only January. Thats a huge improvement in the area that matters come playoff time and thats winning actual hockey games not gimmicks / loser points.

Reactions: Yemeth and Deuce22
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

John
The injuries don't have to end. They could just keep coming.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I can't believe anyone still claims Eakins is anything other than a poor NHL coach. Cronin might be bad; Eakins undoubtedly is.

Reactions: Deuce22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce