GDT: Game 46: Anaheim Ducks vs. New York Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
6-24-1 since the 9-6 start. Dont know how much longer I can stay invested in this season
I'm struggling to stay engaged in games. A big draw for me was seeing how an injection of youth and a new coach could start building towards a culture of success/winning hockey (even if the wins aren't there, at least playing the right way in spite of limitations) and it just hasn't. Add in with constant refpuck against the Ducks and significant injuries it just feels like the turnaround is on hold and what's left is miserable hockey.

I kept watching but went to the gym while it was 2-1. Something in the game stunk of a big comeback for New York so I half watched on my phone and completely shut it off at 4-2. Find myself doing that a lot lately.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Fowler has never been the same since his rookie season after Doan boarded him into the boards. His entire game changed after that. He became timid.
POS Gio got him when Fowler was rally asserting himself to

He’d pick up and injury and get more skittish. Really a case of the organization messing up his development and usage.

Fowler has never been the same since his rookie season after Doan boarded him into the boards. His entire game changed after that. He became timid.
POS Gio got him when Fowler was rally asserting himself to

He’d pick up and injury and get more skittish. Really a case of the organization messing up his development and usage

Reactions: Ducks DVM

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Screenshot_20240121-203731.png
holy shit.. You never let it get this bad

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
Interesting defense TOI tonight:
Gudas 25:23 (21:40 5v5)
Fowler 21:40 (16:13 5v5)
Vaakanainen 21:07 (18:15 5v5)
LaCombe 15:59 (12:19 5v5)
Lindstrom 15:28 (all 5v5)
Hagg 13:19 (13:03 5v5)

Gudas was over 19 minutes at the second intermission. Wonder if they're stress testing him for the top pairing.

Last edited:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I honestly don't understand why Fowler is being defended anymore. He is a 3-6 defenseman at best by his current play.
If he were playing with a solid partner in a 4/5 position he would be amazing on a playoff team

He’s useless here

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You know what the worst part of this game was?

The hope they gave us for 40 minutes, knowing that the NHL wouldn’t give us a fair shake, and that the inept special team coaching and thinness of the roster was going to take it away.

You know what the best part of this game was?

The hope they gave us for 40 minutes, as opposed to just watching a pile of suck pretend to be an NHL team for 60 minutes. At least we got to cheer a fair amount.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I honestly don't understand why Fowler is being defended anymore. He is a 3-6 defenseman at best by his current play.
Honestly I've always defended Fowler thanks to a huge supply of hopium but his play is really poor for a guy who is supposed to be a veteran presence and mentor. He's not the stabilizing force this group needs him to be on either end of the ice.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dang this team sucks……so I’m not sure what if anything Cronin has changed. Team still can’t make simple plays and the special teams still suck.

Ducks2022-23Eakins
Game setGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
46​
13​
28​
5​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 46
21​
7​
12​
2​
16​
0.381​

Ducks2023-24Cronin
Total
46​
15​
30​
1​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 46
21​
5​
15​
1​
11​
0.262​

Here are game set splits between last year and this year. I used last year's game set because that's when Eakins changed how we played on ES around the 25 game marker, which was to do a run-n-gun offense that purposely allowed around 40 shots per game.

Cronin's trajectory has been downhill since his fast start. We're still seeing a lack of forward rotation to the blue line on offense as well as getting lost on man-defense in the d-zone. Dunno how many fans will continue to buy Verbeek's "there is progress and accountability improvement".

Duck fans go to games expecting Gilda, but witness the same defeat as if it were stuck on a Groundhog Day loop.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorry fellas, have Mixed emotions. Fowler really is struggling, and I’m a Fowler fan. That pass in the end, woof.

Top line looked good. Rangers broadcast was very impressed with Leo.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Ducks2022-23Eakins
Total
46​
13​
28​
5​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 46
21​
7​
12​
2​
16​
0.381​

Ducks2023-24Cronin
Total
46​
15​
30​
1​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 46
21​
5​
15​
1​
11​
0.262​

Here are game set splits between last year and this year. I used last year's game set because that's when Eakins changed how we played on ES around the 25 game marker, which was to do a run-n-gun offense that purposely allowed around 40 shots per game.

Cronin's trajectory has been downhill since his fast start. We're still seeing a lack of forward rotation to the blue line on offense as well as getting lost on man-defense in the d-zone. Dunno how many fans will continue to buy Verbeek's "there is progress and accountability improvement".

Duck fans go to games expecting Gilda, but witness the same defeat as if it were stuck on a Groundhog Day loop.
158 games missed due to injury has something to do with the slide. It's unfair to do these comparisons without that being part of the discussion. Research is supposed to be impartial.

Last edited:

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Ducks2022-23Eakins
Total
46​
13​
28​
5​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 46
21​
7​
12​
2​
16​
0.381​

Ducks2023-24Cronin
Total
46​
15​
30​
1​
31​
0.337​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 46
21​
5​
15​
1​
11​
0.262​

There's a number of reasons why the team isn't performing well and not one of them are because they got rid of Eakins.

Under Eakins the team was always at the bottom of the league in shots given up. Most of the game they spent 90 percent of it in their own zone. With Cronin the team is at least cutting that down.

Ducks sit at 16th in the league in shots given up as of today. Last year they were 32nd. Is Cronin a great coach? probably not but hes at least a competent coach which is a huge improvement given what this team had.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sorry fellas, have Mixed emotions. Fowler really is struggling, and I’m a Fowler fan. That pass in the end, woof.

Top line looked good. Rangers broadcast was very impressed with Leo.
I mean people will make up 25 excuses for him but the fact is he’s either washed, or playing injured or both.

He’s been abnormally bad this year even for him…. Obviously I’ve been on the move fowler wagon for a while…. But it’s sad that he’s going to finish his career with the ducks at this level of play.

he was supposed to be a vet presence and a leader for the young guys, but he hasn’t stepped up.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I mean people will make up 25 excuses for him but the fact is he’s either washed, or playing injured or both.

He’s been abnormally bad this year even for him…. Obviously I’ve been on the move fowler wagon for a while…. But it’s sad that he’s going to finish his career with the ducks at this level of play.

he was supposed to be a vet presence and a leader for the young guys, but he hasn’t stepped up.
The main reason I spoke against his contract extension was that so much of his effectiveness was based around his skating. As he ages and slows, there's nothing else that he does well. We're seeing that this season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The main reason I spoke against his contract extension was that so much of his effectiveness was based around his skating. As he ages and slows, there's nothing else that he does well. We're seeing that this season.
People thought because he doesn’t play physical brand of hockey that he wouldn’t age bad…. But his skating has def fallen off…. And without his skating he’s pretty meh defensemen, especially when he’s being used as a teams #1

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Honestly I've always defended Fowler thanks to a huge supply of hopium but his play is really poor for a guy who is supposed to be a veteran presence and mentor. He's not the stabilizing force this group needs him to be on either end of the ice.

I'm not the biggest Fowler fan. I'm pretty indifferent of Fowler. But I don't think Fowler is to blame. Fowler isn't in charge of roster construction (traded away Lindholm and Drysdale), that's Verbeek. Fowler also isn't in charge of his deployment in games (playing over 25 min per game), that's the coaches.

If Fowler is utilized more appropriately, then he'd be fine. He's being trotted out on the ice to a tune of about 25 minutes per game, playing on the PP and PK. The coaching staff is wearing him down this year when we have more options to replace him on the PK unit. Two seasons ago, Fowler didn't play on the PK before the TDL and his offense was fire at ES and the PP.

Fowler is going to pinch on offense. The big problem on offense is our forwards aren't rotating up to take his spot, or any D-man's spot that is pinching. We're constantly allowing 1v2, 1v3, or 2v3 situations.

An equally big problem is our forwards either get lost or don't move in the dzone. I've seen our defense roam everywhere in the Dzone from Fowler to Vaak, but our forwards seem lost to help out.

A third problem is that our breakouts are trying to stretch the ice to two zones, making it difficult for our defense to find a safe outlet.

We've had all three problems all season and it doesn't look like we're changing anything to make improvements. All three problems have one common factor why the forwards aren't helping as much as they're supposed to help is directly tied to coaching. Where's the accountability that's supposed to be going on? It's game 46 and our forwards are still playing like we're learning how to play the game in training camp.

Yes, Fowler is soft. Yes, Fowler gets his shots blocked from time to time. And yet it's not our defense that's often to blame night in and night out. Our forwards are far more culpable for our losses due to their lack of engagement on offensive rotation, on defense in stick with a man or passing/being passed a man, on defensive zone outlets at ES play, and, finally, scoring goals.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Leo the only one with a positive +/- and also had noce 2 points. He's good.

PS
Gudas neutral despite huge ice time. He is standing out if you look at our team's players' +/-. He's doing something right

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not the biggest Fowler fan. I'm pretty indifferent of Fowler. But I don't think Fowler is to blame. Fowler isn't in charge of roster construction (traded away Lindholm and Drysdale), that's Verbeek. Fowler also isn't in charge of his deployment in games (playing over 25 min per game), that's the coaches.

If Fowler is utilized more appropriately, then he'd be fine. He's being trotted out on the ice to a tune of about 25 minutes per game, playing on the PP and PK. The coaching staff is wearing him down this year when we have more options to replace him on the PK unit. Two seasons ago, Fowler didn't play on the PK before the TDL and his offense was fire at ES and the PP.

Fowler is going to pinch on offense. The big problem on offense is our forwards aren't rotating up to take his spot, or any D-man's spot that is pinching. We're constantly allowing 1v2, 1v3, or 2v3 situations.

An equally big problem is our forwards either get lost or don't move in the dzone. I've seen our defense roam everywhere in the Dzone from Fowler to Vaak, but our forwards seem lost to help out.

A third problem is that our breakouts are trying to stretch the ice to two zones, making it difficult for our defense to find a safe outlet.

We've had all three problems all season and it doesn't look like we're changing anything to make improvements. All three problems have one common factor why the forwards aren't helping as much as they're supposed to help is directly tied to coaching. Where's the accountability that's supposed to be going on? It's game 46 and our forwards are still playing like we're learning how to play the game in training camp.

Yes, Fowler is soft. Yes, Fowler gets his shots blocked from time to time. And yet it's not our defense that's often to blame night in and night out. Our forwards are far more culpable for our losses due to their lack of engagement on offensive rotation, on defense in stick with a man or passing/being passed a man, on defensive zone outlets at ES play, and, finally, scoring goals.
I guess overutilization could be a factor.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
158 games missed due to injury has something to do with the slide. It's unfair to do these comparisons without that being part of the discussion. Research is supposed to be impartial.

Games missed due to injury in 2022-23, from games 1 - 46: 190 games missed as per NHL Injury Viz.

Injury Viz, Man Game lost (46 games) 2022-23.png

2022-23Games 1-46
PlayerGames injured
Beaulieu
5​
Carrick
14​
Comtois
11​
Drysdale
38​
Gibson
5​
Grant
31​
Jones
12​
Kirkland
5​
Klingberg
7​
Lundestrom
21​
McTavish
1​
Shatty
5​
Silf
1​
Stolarz
9​
Vaak
25​
Total
190​

Research is supposed to be done completely if you are gonna call someone out. Omission of said research while promoting your own is worse than unfair, it's disingenuous and slanderous.

Now, mind you, we had worse talent on the ice last year compared to this year's talents, especially on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad