GDT: Game 45: Sharks @ Avalanche | January 23th, 7pm MT, 3am Polish: Threat level midnight

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Barrie has been pretty good over the last 10-15 games after having a horrible 20-25 games to start the season...

Don't get why the hate is still so strong....

Agree on Beauch though.

We should really explore trading him @50 retained at the deadline.

Really don't want to see how he would look a year from now in burgundy and blue...

I don't think they'll trade Beauchemin - unless he asks for it.

I have a feeling that the Avs are going to move one of the good forwards for a young defensive prospect, and are going to be looking at next season's dmen as EJ/Barrie/Zadorov/YoungGuy1/YoungGuy2 - with YoungGuy1 being the guy they traded for, and YoungGuy2 being Bigras. With all of that inexperience back there (in addition to EJ's injury history), they'll go with the thought process of "We need a veteran presence back there". IMO, Beauchemin will be that.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I have a feeling that the Avs are going to move one of the good forwards for a young defensive prospect, and are going to be looking at next season's dmen as EJ/Barrie/Zadorov/YoungGuy1/YoungGuy2 - with YoungGuy1 being the guy they traded for, and YoungGuy2 being Bigras. With all of that inexperience back there (in addition to EJ's injury history), they'll go with the thought process of "We need a veteran presence back there". IMO, Beauchemin will be that.

Agreed 100% unless someone calls them this season (strange things these GMs will do)

Besides the fact that as a rental next season Beauch, even at his current level of play, should be worth something decent

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

There's also Mironov, who's said to be coming over this summer.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
In all honesty we didn't even play that bad last night but you just knew the moment the Sharks pushed back even a little that we would crumble. Weircoch was easily the worse dman. Possibly the worse player on the ice last night. Francois was bad but god on the PK. Z was very up and down as to expected. I still think that's Z's goal especially from the overhead view and Martinsens reaction to it afterwards. Martin had a few good moments but also let in 2 rotten goals. That second Marleau goal is a Foppa goal from 1996. Shouldn't go in today.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
ABasin;127282891[B said:
]I don't think they'll trade Beauchemin - unless he asks for it.
[/B]

I hope he asks for a trade and I hope Joe has spoken to him about one. I mean why would he stay on this sinking ship? Francois aint one of the violinist willing to go down with the Titanic hes more like the guy who would sneak on one those boats meant for women and children. Francois aint getting any younger and theirs a contender out there that might wanna take him on protection and all. GM's have done crazier things.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I guess Joe Sakic was just flat-out lying when he said (and then subsequently reported on by LeBrun) that they have internal options from players in San Antonio that will be brought up (and it was implied it would be after they make their moves)...It'd be one thing if he didn't directly say that, but he did.

They'll be here when they're here.

[EDIT]

Just another quick addition here. I've seen you mention that the AHL team isn't a championship caliber team/isn't going to the playoffs this year as a reason to bring up the likes of Greer, Compher, and Bigras...I think that's kind of shortsighted. Those guys are still learning to be professional hockey players, they're still playing in a MUCH better situation than in Colorado at this very moment. San Antonio suddenly being a "championship caliber team" isn't going to happen overnight. We can't be fervently desiring the Avs to build pipeline like other teams have (where the AHL is used developmentally) and not give them an honest-to-god opportunity to make it happen (and it will take longer than just a season for it to happen).

The Avs used to not give a damn about this stuff, and the results spoke for themselves. Their organizational philosophy HAS changed in this regard...but it takes time for fans to start to see the full results (we've already seen some). It may seem like it's moving at a glacial pace, but that's because we're not privy to how things go on the business end, and we've actually seen the Avs move pretty fast in that regard (the Prospect/Rookie/Development camps, the rookie tournament, the actual search for an AHL coach, the money they've pumped into San Antonio, etc.)

It takes time, and as I said above, the "bigger name prospects" will be here when they get here.

This is what I was trying to get at. RL said it much better than I did (I'm trying real hard to not be a jerk anymore and I couldn't say it in a way that didn't sound combative).

I guess my thought process was, the way to build a good team in my honest opinion is to build a good foundation in the minors and then start to build a nhl team. That's the only real way we are going to successfully develop players. Again, I'm sure some will disagree but I feel like if the avs are seriously going to build a consistent contender, this is the way to do it.

It may not be the fun or sexy way as a team, but unless we manage to get a McDavid or Matthews level talent, it's the only way I can see a scorched earth policy working.

I do agree with a opportunity philosophy, but I just feel like running all these prospects up to the nhl level just because they're not old leaves the avalanche in a position where there foundation is built on sand again.

I do feel like short stints with the team is excellent for development however as long as they are getting feedback about what needs to be worked on when they are sent back down. Based on what I've read previously, this wasn't happening last season and is crucial.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I agree with what T.V said, Sakic and the organization in general doesn't know how to incorporate or develop young players, doesn't know when to bring them into the lineup, and can't be entrusted with a rebuild.

It very much does feel like we're gonna be on a hamster wheel here unless some serious turnover happens on and off the ice.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I agree with what T.V said, Sakic and the organization in general doesn't know how to incorporate or develop young players, doesn't know when to bring them into the lineup, and can't be entrusted with a rebuild.

It very much does feel like we're gonna be on a hamster wheel here unless some serious turnover happens on and off the ice.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but what exactly is supposed to be the development plan? They are leaving developing players in the minors during what is a historically bad season for the avalanche (and the league post lockout).

If anything, I think they're doing the right thing at this point. I wouldn't mind bringing them up in the last 10 games or so to give them a taste and some motivation to work hard in the summer, but I see absolutely no benefit to bringing them up right now.

edit: and going back to last year even. It would have been easy to bring Rantannen up when he was lighting it up in the AHL. But they didn't. They let him develop. Bigras is NOT ready for the NHL yet. They could have forced him up, but they didn't. They let him get big minutes in the AHL. They kept Zadorov up this year and have been patient with him, and it appears to be paying off right now. I'm not a fan of sakic as a GM, but I can't really fault them for their efforts to develop players the last two seasons.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but what exactly is supposed to be the development plan? They are leaving developing players in the minors during what is a historically bad season for the avalanche (and the league post lockout).

If anything, I think they're doing the right thing at this point. I wouldn't mind bringing them up in the last 10 games or so to give them a taste and some motivation to work hard in the summer, but I see absolutely no benefit to bringing them up right now.

You're not a jerk, you're spot on. The attitude of the NHL team seems toxic, there's no reason to send kids there. At least in the AHL they play hard and actually look like a team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think I'm done. I've pretty much unfollowed the Avs on social media and will probably stay away from discussions about the team until some radical changes are made both on and off the ice. It's clear the players and the front office have just given up, so I don't know why I should be putting any further effort into this.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You're not a jerk, you're spot on. The attitude of the NHL team seems toxic, there's no reason to send kids there. At least in the AHL they play hard and actually look like a team.

I get both sides of the argument.

TV is right that it is pathetic that the Avs haven't even tried calling someone up to get out of the funk.

But on the other hand I am personally also of the opinion that you don't want any of our young guys in that lockerroom right now. And the AHL "vets" help more down there with the development of our youngsters than they would do playing on our 4th line next to Mitchell and Colborne....

It should change after the deadline however. Once Iggy, Bourque, Tyutin, hopefully Mitchell and maybe even some others (please. someone take Beauch) are gone, the kids should be called up for the last 15-20 games to give them a taste and make this a massive lockerroom shakeup that could hopefully let them end the season on a somewhat higher note....

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hopefully they will move some of the more lethargic players out at trade deadline. That will open up some spots on the team and will improve the working environment.

Anyway, I don't think Greer, Compher and Bigras cares much about lazy veterans if they get a NHL shot. They'll be hungry.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't want anybody called up until after the trades are made either. The guys we want called up are guys that have played well together in the AHL. I don't want to pick apart the roster down there one by one. I want to trade everyone off at the deadline and replace them with the entire group that have played well together in the AHL.

Iginla, Mitchell, Bourque, Tyutin, and Beauchemin out. Compher, Greer, Grimaldi, Siemens, Bigras in.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I don't want anybody called up until after the trades are made either. The guys we want called up are guys that have played well together in the AHL. I don't want to pick apart the roster down there one by one. I want to trade everyone off at the deadline and replace them with the entire group that have played well together in the AHL.

Iginla, Mitchell, Bourque, Tyutin, and Beauchemin out. Compher, Greer, Grimaldi, Siemens, Bigras in.

This is the dream for sure... but what are the odds of this actually happening? 10%? 0%?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is the dream for sure... but what are the odds of this actually happening? 10%? 0%?

IMO the odds of Bourque, Iginla and Tyutin being replaced by Greer, Compher and Bigras is almost a guarantee. Mitchell being traded is a little less likely and Beauchemin being traded is just a dream at best.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not on board with the shelter the AHLers from the NHL team. Come on, when is it going to be the exact perfect time and situation for players to come up. There never is one. This is what happens on bad teams, it's not a new concept. Some energy could have the opposite effect too and pull the existing players out of the mud. They aren't children, I don't think they will be emotionally damaged playing on a losing team when they already play for one. I watch the AHL team every night, I know what they have going on down there too. Plus, there's more than everyone's favorite 3-4 names down there that are playing on the team for an opportunity. That's what creates a toxic environment top to bottom when guys see that they never are getting their chance. The 2 month slide happened last year when they picked up Bodnarchuk from waivers and every single defenseman on that team checked out. It's like being stuck in a dead-end job. I get the kid movement should happen after they clear some dead weight out but there's injuries now. There's no excuse for going with a short lineup just because and not using the minor league team as its intended.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm not on board with the shelter the AHLers from the NHL team. Come on, when is it going to be the exact perfect time and situation for players to come up. There never is one. This is what happens on bad teams, it's not a new concept. Some energy could have the opposite effect too and pull the existing players out of the mud. They aren't children, I don't think they will be emotionally damaged playing on a losing team when they already play for one. I watch the AHL team every night, I know what they have going on down there too. Plus, there's more than everyone's favorite 3-4 names down there that are playing on the team for an opportunity. That's what creates a toxic environment top to bottom when guys see that they never are getting their chance. The 2 month slide happened last year when they picked up Bodnarchuk from waivers and every single defenseman on that team checked out. It's like being stuck in a dead-end job. I get the kid movement should happen after they clear some dead weight out but there's injuries now. There's no excuse for going with a short lineup just because and not using the minor league team as its intended.

When all the guys who are getting inflated minutes to try to boost trade value are traded which likely all happens all in one day. Why bring guys up to sit them in place of these losers who basically already know they are going to be playing elsewhere within a few weeks.

I completely disagree with the thought that there's no exact perfect time to do that. To me there definitely is. It's the day that a lot of the useless dead weight which would only stand in their way right now leaves to go to a different team. There's rarely a perfect time to do something but in this situation I believe it is and it's a date which the NHL put in place for them. March 1.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
When all the guys who are getting inflated minutes to try to boost trade value are traded which likely all happens all in one day. Why bring guys up to sit them in place of these losers who basically already know they are going to be playing elsewhere within a few weeks.

I completely disagree with the thought that there's no exact perfect time to do that. To me there definitely is. It's the day that a lot of the useless dead weight which would only stand in their way right now leaves to go to a different team. There's rarely a perfect time to do something but in this situation I believe it is and it's a date which the NHL put in place for them. March 1.

There's never a perfect time to do anything in life. Like I said, there's injuries now. That's the opportunity and I'm also not talking about Greer and Compher. Gelinas plays 8 minutes a night, he's not being showcased, neither is Colborne. Now is the time to give a guy like Siemens an opportunity. I know, they decided already he's not a NHL player after one game two years ago, then they never should have qualified him. Or basically every other guy not named Greer and Compher.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There's never a perfect time to do anything in life. Like I said, there's injuries now. That's the opportunity and I'm also not talking about Greer and Compher. Gelinas plays 8 minutes a night, he's not being showcased, neither is Colborne. Now is the time to give a guy like Siemens an opportunity. I know, they decided already he's not a NHL player after one game two years ago, then they never should have qualified him. Or basically every other guy not named Greer and Compher.

So, just because he may never be an NHL player, the Avs shouldn't have qualified Siemens? If they hadn't qualified him, what would your opinion be on the matter? Would we have given up a "free asset" that could help our AHL team?

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Bednar says we're getting a call up this afternoon but it's primarily due to duchene being questionable for tomorrow

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Even if the Avs did decide that on Siemens, his role in SA is important and that has enough value to qualify. There are depth reasons to qualify players that are not NHL players. Once a few trades are made, the kids will be up. IMO there isn't a rush to get them up. Let them see if they can get SA to claw back in a playoff race (very unlikely, but give it a few more weeks), and call up when there are bigger roles to be played. Not just a few minutes a night.

The Avs should call somebody up as an extr though. Especially with sickness in the equation.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I think Gelinas would be a far worse option with a likely poor mentality on the Rampage than Siemens is. It would also hurt us cap wise to send Gelinas down and call Siemens up. They aren't going to send Colborne down either. AS for qualifying Siemens I don't see the issue with that. I would love for him to get an opportunity too and I think it's well deserved but even if that never happens I think it was a good idea to qualify him and let him being an important part of the Rampage.

There's rarely a perfect time in life to do anything as you suggested, but I see March 1 as an absolutely perfect time to call the kids up. Looking at guys like Gelinas/Colborne and hoping for the kids to replace them just isn't going to happen. The UFA rentals are the ones they will replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad