GDT: Game 45: Sharks @ Avalanche | January 23th, 7pm MT, 3am Polish: Threat level midnight

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I really believe if the avs are truly gonna scortched earth it this year like this board wants they need to be horrific next year, convince Jost to leave college for the ahl for a season, leave greer and compher down there for another year and pick very high in the 2018 draft. Also, whoever we pick high should marinate in the juniors/ahl (depending on their draft status of course). Realistically there is not enough high end talent in this organization to try for a complete youth movement yet.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wtf? Why? Who they give the goal to? The one ****n thing I was happy about in tonights game and they ****ed that up too haha. TV is right we arent allowed to have nice things.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, I mean here is a guy who is a goal scorer and never ever scored 4 goals in his 1000 year NHL career, suddenly it's a huge deal because he scored 4 against a team that is on pace for 50 points. Even if I was a Sharks fan I wouldn't be impressed

In the end four goals is four goals. That in itself always makes national media. It attracts the casuals' interest, I'm sure.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I really believe if the avs are truly gonna scortched earth it this year like this board wants they need to be horrific next year, convince Jost to leave college for the ahl for a season, leave greer and compher down there for another year and pick very high in the 2018 draft. Also, whoever we pick high should marinate in the juniors/ahl (depending on their draft status of course). Realistically there is not enough high end talent in this organization to try for a complete youth movement yet.

That doesn't make sense. There isn't enough talent and the core group of players on the team alongside the mitigating factors have caused us to be laughably bad so isn't that the reason for a full on youth movement? I'm completely in support of a scorched policy where we ship off as much as we can and try to rebuild as much as possible keeping the younger players or the ones who aren't worth moving like EJ.

Also, I don't see why Greer or Compher or Bigras being on the main club would be a bad thing next season. They'd be rookies, if they get rid of Duchene, Landeskog, Barrie, etc then these players would just be filling their spots with the rest of the roster there for cap floor purposes. It's not like Greer/Compher/Bigras are gonna prevent us from being able to tank next season.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
That doesn't make sense. There isn't enough talent and the core group of players on the team alongside the mitigating factors have caused us to be laughably bad so isn't that the reason for a full on youth movement? I'm completely in support of a scorched policy where we ship off as much as we can and try to rebuild as much as possible keeping the younger players or the ones who aren't worth moving like EJ.

Also, I don't see why Greer or Compher or Bigras being on the main club would be a bad thing next season. They'd be rookies, if they get rid of Duchene, Landeskog, Barrie, etc then these players would just be filling their spots with the rest of the roster there for cap floor purposes. It's not like Greer/Compher/Bigras are gonna prevent us from being able to tank next season.

I dunno. I'm of the mind that I'd rather not ruin a bunch of players by putting them in a position to fail. That's just me though. I can see both the points of the argument. I'm also of the mind that bigras is most likely a bottom pairing dman at best, which I know won't be a popular opinion around here.

I'd like to see these guys do well in the ahl and start a winning culture from there. I guess that's my logic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs should just ask to play the remainder of their games on the road. The people living in Denver and attending games don't deserve to have to sit through this monstrosity night after night

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Didnt even look like it hit Martinsens. Look like it went of Dillons right skate. Martinsens skate would have blocked that had it hit. Cmon NHL get it right give my boy his first of the season.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Avs should just ask to play the remainder of their games on the road. The people living in Denver and attending games don't deserve to have to sit through this monstrosity night after night

The Kroenke's are benefiting from away fan attendance. That Blackhawk game for example was definetely at least 50% Chicago fans.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Every other org, including those that win, give opportunities to their youth. I am beginning to believe this org not doing the same is one of their fundamental issues. This does not mean I don't advocate for development but getting an opportunity IS part of development. It doesn't need to feel like Sophie's Choice to bring a guy up and give him a taste of the NHL like he can't go back again. They constantly give NHL minutes and opportunities to guys with no future in the org, those who were waiver pick ups, PTOs, acquired in minor league trades or are pending UFA veterans. It's time to turn the ****ing page and take the good with the bad as they've moved on to the future. If Greer, Compher and Bigras aren't regulars on this team next year there is zero hope. None. Who else are going to take up those roster spots? More short term vet plugs? Then we stay on the hamster wheel for another year waiting for these guys to GTFO and delude ourselves that the kids coming up will be the help next year.

If there was some superstar championship winning culture in the AHL I might feel like they'd get something out of that but it's not. They are slightly better than the Avs right now, competitive but mediocre though not a playoff team and not even close. There's not enough talent and history of winning, it's basically just what the Avs are with a couple more wins. They actually were the Avs last year when they didn't win at home for over 2 months when they sent all the garbage can vets down. They might be something in 3-5 years, just like the parent club if they make the proper improvements.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
One assist between Colborne and Mitchell in 73 combined games. ONE. You pretty much have to focus on trying not to score to pull this off. If I remember correctly, Colborne's one assist came off a dump in that took a crazy bounce off the boards too.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
One assist between Colborne and Mitchell in 73 combined games. ONE. You pretty much have to focus on trying not to score to pull this off. If I remember correctly, Colborne's one assist came off a dump in that took a crazy bounce off the boards too.

Talking stats - since we last won 2 in a row, we have lost 23 of our last 27 games :shakehead

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
Every other org, including those that win, give opportunities to their youth. I am beginning to believe this org not doing the same is one of their fundamental issues. This does not mean I don't advocate for development but getting an opportunity IS part of development. It doesn't need to feel like Sophie's Choice to bring a guy up and give him a taste of the NHL like he can't go back again. They constantly give NHL minutes and opportunities to guys with no future in the org, those who were waiver pick ups, PTOs, acquired in minor league trades or are pending UFA veterans. It's time to turn the ****ing page and take the good with the bad as they've moved on to the future. If Greer, Compher and Bigras aren't regulars on this team next year there is zero hope. None. Who else are going to take up those roster spots? More short term vet plugs? Then we stay on the hamster wheel for another year waiting for these guys to GTFO and delude ourselves that the kids coming up will be the help next year.

If there was some superstar championship winning culture in the AHL I might feel like they'd get something out of that but it's not. They are slightly better than the Avs right now, competitive but mediocre though not a playoff team and not even close. There's not enough talent and history of winning, it's basically just what the Avs are with a couple more wins. They actually were the Avs last year when they didn't win at home for over 2 months when they sent all the garbage can vets down. They might be something in 3-5 years, just like the parent club if they make the proper improvements.

Edit: read your post a second time. You're right. Opportunity is part of development. I suppose it's easy to stagnate if you're never given the chance or feel like those who don't deserve it get a chance. That's true in any job and it's probably true in hockey too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Didnt even look like it hit Martinsens. Look like it went of Dillons right skate. Martinsens skate would have blocked that had it hit. Cmon NHL get it right give my boy his first of the season.

Looked like Marty even told Zads on the ice it hit him. I know Zads kinda has that IDGAF attitude but if he had scored there and knew it he would have looked a little happier. He cracked a little smile but I think it was more so because he knew it wasn't his and Marty took away his first goal as an Av. He even looked at Marty with a "come on dude did you really?" look when Marty looked to tell him he touched it.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Maybe we should start a petition to shorten the games to 40 minutes :laugh:. I don't even know what sport the Avs were trying to play in the third period but it sure as hell didn't look like hockey.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I guess Joe Sakic was just flat-out lying when he said (and then subsequently reported on by LeBrun) that they have internal options from players in San Antonio that will be brought up (and it was implied it would be after they make their moves)...It'd be one thing if he didn't directly say that, but he did.

They'll be here when they're here.

[EDIT]

Just another quick addition here. I've seen you mention that the AHL team isn't a championship caliber team/isn't going to the playoffs this year as a reason to bring up the likes of Greer, Compher, and Bigras...I think that's kind of shortsighted. Those guys are still learning to be professional hockey players, they're still playing in a MUCH better situation than in Colorado at this very moment. San Antonio suddenly being a "championship caliber team" isn't going to happen overnight. We can't be fervently desiring the Avs to build pipeline like other teams have (where the AHL is used developmentally) and not give them an honest-to-god opportunity to make it happen (and it will take longer than just a season for it to happen).

The Avs used to not give a damn about this stuff, and the results spoke for themselves. Their organizational philosophy HAS changed in this regard...but it takes time for fans to start to see the full results (we've already seen some). It may seem like it's moving at a glacial pace, but that's because we're not privy to how things go on the business end, and we've actually seen the Avs move pretty fast in that regard (the Prospect/Rookie/Development camps, the rookie tournament, the actual search for an AHL coach, the money they've pumped into San Antonio, etc.)

It takes time, and as I said above, the "bigger name prospects" will be here when they get here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad