GDT: Game 43: Carolina at Columbus 7:00 EST Placeholder Edition

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
So glad to have Bob back there. That save he made where Carolina came into the zone and spread us out with 3 or 4 passes and Bob saw it the whole time, slid to his left, and then calmly made the glove save is probably a goal with any of our other goalies and then it's a different game from that point onward. That's what Bob gives you every night.

The Hurricanes are good (that PK!) and we looked much better against them on our own ice. They won the game, but the way they won it was very encouraging. Back to four lines, Harrington looked okay, Ryan Murray was exceptional, and Boone's goal was ridiculous.

Also, I love Sedlak.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Absolutely. Murray is better 5 v 5 than Werenski, and he should be given their age.

Murray has been underrated on this forum, and I think the consensus here forgets Murray/Jones was a WCH pairing for NA. As you said, it makes sense for continuity and competitive level to keep Murray on that 3rd pairing.

I think we'll see his TOI go to 20+ as we approach the post season push and the post season.

Is it my imagination, or maybe just the result of special teams, or has Torts been pairing Jones and Murray some times late in games?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Torts has been pairing Jones with Murray late in some games.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
It was so nice to see the guys play well again, especially in the third.

It won't be all puppies and sunshine the rest of the season, but it was fun to have them back in form for another night (and hopefully for many more).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Torts/Shaw has had Murray and Jones together late for every game.

I'm not 100% sure about that - but I haven't noticed exceptions and Murray's TOI is consistently about 20 minutes, which is a good 8 or so minutes higher than Nuti's. The only way he can do that, absent tons of PK, is playing with Jones.

I'd still like to see a couple minutes more of Murray, and about 5 minutes less of Werenski.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
In post game interviews last night, Murray looks like he has put on a ton of muscle, his shoulder and neck area especially. I have to admit Murray has been really good this year, just wish he would pick up Werenski's mindset of shooting the puck. I think Jones has benefited tremendously watching , & playing with Werenski.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
I get being disappointed with the first line, but some of the language and posts... Each of those guys are at the top of our scoring numbers. Players go through slumps. Besides, do you all pay attention to the plays that DON'T net goals? Because usually those shifts are what define games, and the scoring comes from that momentum and possession... #1 Line was dominant in the third last night. On Thursday, that will likely continue.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I find it strange how each line and defensive pairing are constantly seen to fight their own separate wars without a strong red thread.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I get being disappointed with the first line, but some of the language and posts... Each of those guys are at the top of our scoring numbers. Players go through slumps. Besides, do you all pay attention to the plays that DON'T net goals? Because usually those shifts are what define games, and the scoring comes from that momentum and possession... #1 Line was dominant in the third last night. On Thursday, that will likely continue.

Please stay.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Good game.....a little concerned about how it started, but happy with the result.
Started seeing CBJ back into winning form in the 2nd and 3rd.
Might have been the confidence with having Bob back in net?

Loved Sedlak's goal.
Loved seeing Dubi get a couple of goals....didn't realize it's been 18 games scoreless!.....and he was pushing hard to get the hat trick.

Let's carry on the good vibes to the next game.

p.s. Can't believe the negativity of some posters, and referring to 'only' winning 3 of their last 8.
How about the stat that says CBJ have the most wins and the fewest regulation losses in the NHL?

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Good game.....a little concerned about how it started, but happy with the result.
Started seeing CBJ back into winning form in the 2nd and 3rd.

Loved Sedlak's goal.
Loved seeing Dubi get a couple of goals....didn't realize it's been 18 games scoreless!.....and he was pushing hard to get the hat trick.

Let's carry on the good vibes to the next game.

p.s. Can't believe the negativity of some posters, and referring to 'only' winning 3 of their last 8.
How about the stat that says CBJ have the most wins and the fewest regulation losses in the NHL?

Did you think Dubi waving to Weresnki was saying, "Hey let me try to get the hat trick?" at the end? It looked like it to me. And Zack just stickhandled away behind the net. :laugh:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

I think this is the most dishonest ice hockey talk you can find. Kinder garden. After all it was pre-after-flurry-tuiske mr Bobby who was first to break infront of the enemy, even before McElhinney and friends. In 'Persia', Iran, they would have taken it to be the very opposite of truth. Tortorella's mind control will not affect a geezer of the new era.

Would think that couple days of training would have done some good.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Did you think Dubi waving to Weresnki was saying, "Hey let me try to get the hat trick?" at the end? It looked like it to me. And Zack just stickhandled away behind the net. :laugh:

Based upon seeing the exchange you reference, I thought it was the exact opposite. I thought 17 was waiving him off saying; "we got this, let's shut it down and not do anything stupid just for my personal scorecard"

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
hehehehe :)

Also was confused by someone earlier who said Savard looked as horrible as he had all season. I wouldn't of thought someone in the top ten in league +/- was horrible EVERY game. :sarcasm:

Looked "as bad as he's been all season" I think the statement was, meaning it wasn't a good game for him, but that's with the understanding that it's a fairly high bar right now.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Blue Jackets win 4-1 Cam, Saad, Andy and Jones all pot goals tonight! Lets Go Jackets!!

What are the odds of getting a 4-1 score right, and not having one of the goal scorers? Yes, I could figure the mathematical odds, and it probably isn't that much a stretch, but I found it ironic - especially with goal scorers being Dubi (2), Jenner and Sedlak, none of whom would roll off anyone's tongue as an obvious potential goal scorer recently (well, I guess Boone WAS on a 2 game goal streak, now 3!:laugh:).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I'm pretty sure he was giving Werenski the "halt" motion and telling him to just hang onto the puck for the win.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Based upon seeing the exchange you reference, I thought it was the exact opposite. I thought 17 was waiving him off saying; "we got this, let's shut it down and not do anything stupid just for my personal scorecard"

On the way to my Tuesday night beer league game in Springfield last night, so I had to listen to the end of the game on 97.1. The above was Bobby Mac's interpretation of the events...he went on for several seconds about what a team player Dubi was, waving off Z at the end and telling him to hold the puck rather than try to push it up the ice to pad his stats. I was kind of surprised that they didn't throw Dubi out there on that final PP to get his 3rd...at least I didn't hear his name mentioned on the radio call at any point during the PP.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
On the way to my Tuesday night beer league game in Springfield last night, so I had to listen to the end of the game on 97.1. The above was Bobby Mac's interpretation of the events...he went on for several seconds about what a team player Dubi was, waving off Z at the end and telling him to hold the puck rather than try to push it up the ice to pad his stats. I was kind of surprised that they didn't throw Dubi out there on that final PP to get his 3rd...at least I didn't hear his name mentioned on the radio call at any point during the PP.

Dubi was definitely telling Zack to hold the puck below the goal line and let the clock run out.

He was on the ice at the end of the PP. They Jackets started the PP with the 4th line so by that point they had back off and were mostly running clock.

CBJ Alien

Jun 29, 2016
columbus ohio
Back from the game.

Thought we started out rough but righted the ship and had our way with the game. I haven't read through the thread yet, but I thought we were in complete control after Carolina scored.

Our powerplay was awful, but I think it was due to Carolina's PK. Very impressive.

Obviously Dubi and Jenner played well. But I thought Saad and his line played pretty well in the third. I also thought Ryan Murray was an absolute force. He was our best defenseman tonight. Harrington didn't look out of place either. All around solid game from the team.

I am hoping Werenski finds out a way to deal with how he's going to get played against. He wasn't good tonight and hasn't been for a few weeks now.

All in all, good 2 points.

I was also at the game. This is everything i noticed, spot on sir.
Very exciting to think of how good this team can be if dubi, jenner and murray can build on games such as this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad