GDT: Game 43: Carolina at Columbus 7:00 EST Placeholder Edition

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm going to be a lot more critical of Dubi from now on, knowing that he's capable of this. I'm not talking about the goals, I'm talking about the 3 times he pivoted and shook defenders and went in on the net (all after his goals). He better keep trying that.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
That game was total dominance. Could have been a lot more than 4 goals.

But does that dominance reflect the year to date? It feels different to me- Jenner and Dubi starting to stir. If that's true, and we can start to get production out of 17 and 38...? Man would that be nice. The team operating on multiple fronts

And if so, Torts is the man

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Back from the game.

Thought we started out rough but righted the ship and had our way with the game. I haven't read through the thread yet, but I thought we were in complete control after Carolina scored.

Our powerplay was awful, but I think it was due to Carolina's PK. Very impressive.

Obviously Dubi and Jenner played well. But I thought Saad and his line played pretty well in the third. I also thought Ryan Murray was an absolute force. He was our best defenseman tonight. Harrington didn't look out of place either. All around solid game from the team.

I am hoping Werenski finds out a way to deal with how he's going to get played against. He wasn't good tonight and hasn't been for a few weeks now.

All in all, good 2 points.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
good game, good goal tending.

Not our best performance, but pretty damn solid overall.

I thought all 4 lines were solid or better.

Carolina PK is boss.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Missed the entire game..... Family issues....

Watching the presser.... Torts said something about the veterans needing to be better???

Regardless, when I saw Bob was our goalie that's all I needed to know....

3-4 in the last 7......

Need to win Thursday...

He was not happy with how a few guys played, particularly in the 1st period. Said these individuals weren't ready to play. He also didn't sound very happy with the 1st line until the 3rd period. Several times he mentioned that some players weren't playing within the structure or system. His overall opinion seemed to be that it was OK but could've been better, and he thought that they were helped by Ward struggling.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Fun game to be at. It was pretty nice seeing the bottom-6 carry the load and put on some good pressure in the offensive zone the first 20ish minutes before Dubi and Jenner scored.

But man did it seem like both Saad and Wennberg were just floating out there. I didn't get a chance to listen to Torts' post-game presser, but I'm sure he's not happy with either of their efforts (except for the third period, they actually showed up to play by then).

Murray has been so good over the last 8-10 games or so. I really would love to see Werenski's 5-on-5 minutes reduced a bit and Murray-Jones to be reunited so Z can focus on improving his play.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Back from the game.

Thought the CBJ started off well and generated a ton of chances early which they couldn't convert. Overall a good defensive effort-Bob was tested just a few times.

Cam Ward was brutal. Jenner's goal was an outstanding individual effort-can't fault him on that. The rest should have been stopped. Ward would definitely like to have Dubi's first back. Dubi's second was a seeing eye puck which Ward (I hope) just didn't see. Selak's goal was a result of a terrible glove hand by Ward. I'm surprised he wasn't yanked after goal #3, it just wasn't his night.

It's good to have an easy win. It's good that Dubi netted two, even if they were gifts. I just can't read too much into a game when the other team's goalie was about as bad as a goalie can be.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I went to the game as well..

I think Carolina could be a really dangerous team if they had a good/solid/consistent goaltending performance. I wasn't impressed from Ward last week either.

But,
1. I'm starting to be in favor of limiting some of Zach Werenski's minutes. He's had his struggles the last couple weeks. His Powerplay turnover was brutal on top of that. This isn't meant to be a knock on him. Just think his play is stagnating a bit. Still a very bright future.

Positives-
1. Bob. Welcome back, Oh how I have missed you the last week.
2. Hopefully we can get Boone and Dubi going a bit. Impressive goal from him today. Didn't expect it.
3. Murray's play.
4. Scott Harrington- I didn't really notice any glaring mistakes in his play. Looked alright to be honest. Thought he had a decent strength play to slow down a Carolina player on a semi-breakaway to severely limit his shot later on in the game. I'd let him be the #6 D-man on Thursday as well.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
In 2017 Wennberg and Saad have, combined, ONE goal between them. That is, over a period of almost 3 weeks they have combined for half the goal productivity that Dubie had last nite. Wennberg and Saad have been the biggest drag on the team during 2017, far, far worse than Jenner and Dubie. They have both been a disgrace on the ice.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In 2017 Wennberg and Saad have, combined, ONE goal between them. That is, over a period of almost 3 weeks they have combined for half the goal productivity that Dubie had last nite. Wennberg and Saad have been the biggest drag on the team during 2017, far, far worse than Jenner and Dubie. They have both been a disgrace on the ice.

Saad is on pace for 30 goals. Wennberg is on pace for 65 points.

2017 is exactly 8 games old.

Lighten up, Francis.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And they have not done crap in those 8 games where we have lost 5 out of 8. Their lack of production is as big an issue as the goal tending since "the streak". That is our "first line" producing one goal in eight games. That sucks.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
And they have not done crap in those 8 games where we have lost 5 out of 8. Their lack of production is as big an issue as the goal tending since "the streak". That is our "first line" producing one goal in eight games. That sucks.

Well....lost 4 of 8 anyway, with 3 of those by backup goalies and the other to red hot Caps. However, Torts seems not pleased with them either

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yep, everyone on the first line needs to score at least a goal every game. They are forbidden from being human.

I couldn't agree more.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You think you could save that kind of language for something truly egregious, not just guys being in a slump? They have been bad, but no disgrace. Maybe if they have a defensive meltdown too like Boone and Dubi did earlier this year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Fun game to be at. It was pretty nice seeing the bottom-6 carry the load and put on some good pressure in the offensive zone the first 20ish minutes before Dubi and Jenner scored.

But man did it seem like both Saad and Wennberg were just floating out there. I didn't get a chance to listen to Torts' post-game presser, but I'm sure he's not happy with either of their efforts (except for the third period, they actually showed up to play by then).

Murray has been so good over the last 8-10 games or so. I really would love to see Werenski's 5-on-5 minutes reduced a bit and Murray-Jones to be reunited so Z can focus on improving his play.

I've been saying that about Murray and Werenski since November. I think part of the problem is that Shaw can't put a Werenski - Nutivaara pairing out there. So he has to have Jones and Murray each take a rookie. Maybe Harrington can play with Werenski? Is he quick enough to cover for Zach's mistakes?

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Was also at the game, and agree with pretty much everything that has been said, but will add:

Thought our fourth line was not good until the third period. They finally woke up and played much better.

Thought Foligno had a very pedestrian game. Might have been part of the problem with the first line. To me Wenny looked OK, but Fligs and Saad just couldn't seem to get it in gear.

Thought JJ/Savvy were bad in the first, but also settled down in the second and third periods.

This was definitely the game we have been looking for from Boone/Dubi. That line saved our bacon last night.

Murray was in beast mode.........finally!

Bob was Bob.

Carolina is fast, but I thought we were a little faster. I like that team, and they are a few pieces from being very good. My favorite team in the Atlantic, and like seeing them do well, except against us, lol.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Carolina is fast, but I thought we were a little faster. I like that team, and they are a few pieces from being very good. My favorite team in the Atlantic, and like seeing them do well, except against us, lol.

Lol, they're in our division. Everyone seems to forget it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I've been saying that about Murray and Werenski since November. I think part of the problem is that Shaw can't put a Werenski - Nutivaara pairing out there. So he has to have Jones and Murray each take a rookie. Maybe Harrington can play with Werenski? Is he quick enough to cover for Zach's mistakes?

Absolutely. Murray is better 5 v 5 than Werenski, and he should be given their age.

Murray has been underrated on this forum, and I think the consensus here forgets Murray/Jones was a WCH pairing for NA. As you said, it makes sense for continuity and competitive level to keep Murray on that 3rd pairing.

I think we'll see his TOI go to 20+ as we approach the post season push and the post season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad