We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
6 goals scored in 5 games...
Undisciplined the entire season...
A PP that looks like garbage...
Lets blame the goaltending...

I don't think that was the whole interview and he even says it was bad penalty. I'm pretty sure there's more to the story, but the goal tending wasn't great tonight. It just wasn't the only story.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
How many games do you expect to win when you go on a 5-game stretch where your team scores 6 goals? That means you have to shutout your opponents in all of those games in order to stand a chance in regulation.

THe team averages a little over 2 and half goals per game and yet , as you pointed out, that means any goalie has to be almost perfect to get a W. And Sutter still pins it on goaltending.
And I don't think that helps anybody ,esp a young goalie. That's a lot of pressure to play under every game, that your coach has called you out after a loss when the team isn't scoring.

And Sutter system is partially to blame as well.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
From LA kings Inisder Sutter post game

He seems to have pinned it on the goalie again...\

On how to cut down on the number of penalties taken:
That’s a bad penalty. They took more penalties than us, but the bottom line is that it’s a four minute penalty, and we had it killed, and it’s a bad goal. At some point your goaltenders have to be good penalty killers, too. And that’s two in two games where we’ve basically killed, and the puck’s off the back of the boards. And the other one’s a faceoff goal, so I’m not getting into that part of it.

On the goalie switch:
You’ve got to make saves. They only had any chances ‘till that. Any. You’ve got to make some saves. I mean, that’s that how you break losing streaks, that’s how you have winning streaks

dude needs to get his eyes checked, because the last issue the team had at that point was Jones. his move lead to another goal and from there it was all downhill.

a combination of poor effort and lazy play as RR suggested in the post game. entirely too many dumb penalties, a PK unit that has struggled and can't save the team. a PP unit that once again can't find the net. poor coaching decisions that have lead to a top heavy 'one line' team have brought the team to this. not to mention the continuing roster cluster **** this team has created, by playing guys that struggle and sit/demote ones that aren't handicapping the team.

everybody in that locker room needs to look in the mirror tomorrow when they wake up. the West is to tight for them to keep letting this spin out of control. if they do then they will once again be in scramble mode come Feb to April

what an embarassment of a road trip

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think that was the whole interview and he even says it was bad penalty. I'm pretty sure there's more to the story, but the goal tending wasn't great tonight. It just wasn't the only story.

These are all of of the questions:

On a comment that the team is battling confidence issues:
You can’t chase the lead. We took a bad penalty, and they scored a bad goal. The big picture is not relevant. It’s more that that’s a tough thing to do in this league.

That’s a bad penalty. They took more penalties than us, but the bottom line is that it’s a four minute penalty, and we had it killed, and it’s a bad goal. At some point your goaltenders have to be good penalty killers, too. And that’s two in two games where we’ve basically killed, and the puck’s off the back of the boards. And the other one’s a faceoff goal, so I’m not getting into that part of it.

On the goalie switch:
You’ve got to make saves. They only had any chances ‘till that. Any. You’ve got to make some saves. I mean, that’s that how you break losing streaks, that’s how you have winning streaks.

On comparing the losing streak to a previous losing streak:
We won one in Vancouver 3-2. The rest we got points on, but they were overtime losses, other than that game in Vancouver, and if you look at that, the question that you go back to, we were eight-for-eight killing penalties. So were we lucky, or were we good? So it’s the very same thing that we did then that we’re doing now when you look at it. It was the very same thing. Identical. And they were the very same low scoring gamed, all lower scoring. So hopefully this, by not getting beat in a low scoring game or a shootout or in overtime hits home with guys who were saying that, because they’re the key guys in the room. [Reporter: Because something like this, you can’t sign it off to anything. Like you said, you can’t ignore it.] We won’t. I’m not into that high-low stuff. I’m not into the yelling, screaming part of it, but there is a leadership part of it that has to have full direction in it.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
The goaltending wasn't great but it got worse after Jones was yanked. It seems pretty crummy of coach to call out a rookie netminder instead of asking questions of his under performing vet top 6, maybe he was trying to make them feel guilty :shakehead

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

I know, but Scrivens and Jones have played better than anyone could have imagined. I want to see Sutter lose his mind at all the high priced players we have who have scored 6 goals and have taken 22 penalties in this five game losing streak.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I wouldn't read too much into this spanking, the Kings lost 4 straight before playing the Blues and looked like !@#$ in the process. If we meet again in the playoffs It will be a more contested game. Credit where credit is due, the Blues look like they've assembled a good team, they have made it to the dance a few times and look about ready to make the jump to being a real contender. They remind me of the kings before we added carter, but perhaps with a more skilled D. Good luck going forward

3 years ago, the Kings were on the same plain until your team turned the corner, hoping the Blues can do that. That was a hell of a battle with the Kings last year. Blues couldnt bury their chances. Quick was great again.

In terms of this game, its just a regular season BS matchup. Thought the Kings played hard but just couldnt bury their chances. It happens along with offensive slumps, yada yada. Caught the Kings at the right time...

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Said it after the last loss, I'll say it again. This is the same team that started the year looking like complete ass. All the same suspects getting regular shifts sans Toffoli. This is the team that Sutter and Dean want our there, and these are the results.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
These are all of of the questions:

On a comment that the team is battling confidence issues:
You can’t chase the lead. We took a bad penalty, and they scored a bad goal. The big picture is not relevant. It’s more that that’s a tough thing to do in this league.

On the goalie switch:
You’ve got to make saves. They only had any chances ‘till that. Any. You’ve got to make some saves. I mean, that’s that how you break losing streaks, that’s how you have winning streaks.

On comparing the losing streak to a previous losing streak:
We won one in Vancouver 3-2. The rest we got points on, but they were overtime losses, other than that game in Vancouver, and if you look at that, the question that you go back to, we were eight-for-eight killing penalties. So were we lucky, or were we good? So it’s the very same thing that we did then that we’re doing now when you look at it. It was the very same thing. Identical. And they were the very same low scoring gamed, all lower scoring. So hopefully this, by not getting beat in a low scoring game or a shootout or in overtime hits home with guys who were saying that, because they’re the key guys in the room. [Reporter: Because something like this, you can’t sign it off to anything. Like you said, you can’t ignore it.] We won’t. I’m not into that high-low stuff. I’m not into the yelling, screaming part of it, but there is a leadership part of it that has to have full direction in it.

Doesn't look like he's laying this all at the feet of the goal tending. He openly questions veteran leadership there in how they've handled some of the losses and that this one is the kind of loss that can't be swept under the rug.

The goaltending wasn't great but it got worse after Jones was yanked. It seems pretty crummy of coach to call out a rookie netminder instead of asking questions of his under performing vet top 6, maybe he was trying to make them feel guilty :shakehead

Sutter expects all players on the team to play well. Being a rookie doesn't matter to him. If you're in the NHL, he expects NHL quality play.

I know, but Scrivens and Jones have played better than anyone could have imagined. I want to see Sutter lose his mind at all the high priced players we have who have scored 6 goals and have taken 22 penalties in this five game losing streak.

They had a great run, but neither played well tonight. We'd be talking more about the goal tending if the Kings had an offense worth a damn, but I think he addresses that with more subtlety.

zampilot

Jan 1, 2014
a little to the left
Well I have been lurking here for the better part of 5 years, right around the time I learned the internet provided more than just, well you know, and I decided to finally write my first post.

After watching this game I was going to come on and join in on the doom and gloom and decided I shouldn't. I wanted to criticize all the players that pissed me off as I usually do, but the fact of the matter is, it will all be okay.

This team is tough and a loss like this will provide a much needed fire in the King's belly. The one thing I really started thinking about is it seems everyone on the King's slump at once. It is rare that one player is snake bitten, but rather the whole roster at once.

So whether or not DL goes out and gets a LWer or not, I do believe this team will come back like gangbusters and prove to be a champion team (again). I only wish my night had some Alex Curry in it, but at least it lacked Dan Moriarty "WHAT DID YOU SEE?!".

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well I have been lurking here for the better part of 5 years, right around the time I learned the internet provided more than just, well you know, and I decided to finally write my first post.

After watching this game I was going to come on and join in on the doom and gloom and decided I shouldn't. I wanted to criticize all the players that pissed me off as I usually do, but the fact of the matter is, it will all be okay.

This team is tough and a loss like this will provide a much needed fire in the King's belly. The one thing I really started thinking about is it seems everyone on the King's slump at once. It is rare that one player is snake bitten, but rather the whole roster at once.

So whether or not DL goes out and gets a LWer or not, I do believe this team will come back like gangbusters and prove to be a champion team (again). I only wish my night had some Alex Curry in it, but at least it lacked Dan Moriarty "WHAT DID YOU SEE?!".

Welcome to the party slash dumpster fire :)

and I agree. Total team mentality. Even down to the sucking :laugh:

But this is rock bottom really. Total team failure. It's not like a bunch of stuff is working and we just barely lost; we've been blown up a few times with stupid mistakes and mental lapses. Good thing to rally around, though; instead of going "man, one bounce and we could have won" it's "we're going to have to bust our ***** and create our own luck."

Or, if you're Sutter, "you guys are fine, it's just our goalies suck." :P

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I could see it on the first goal. Jones didn't get his body to post, just a skate which they took advantage of.

The second goal was a big rebound..

Scrivens played like crap.

Still doesn't explain the lack of production on offense though. They didn't lose 5-4, 5-3, 5-2, or even 5-1. They lost 5-0. The goalie isn't gonna score a goal.

The shot never made it through on the second goal. The goalie can't control a rebound that he doesn't give up.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Sutter expects all players on the team to play well. Being a rookie doesn't matter to him. If you're in the NHL, he expects NHL quality play.

It's ridiculous to focus on the netminder that gave up two goals, to pull him was daft. It's obvious our offense sucks at present, we cant buy a goal. We control a lot of possession but it's always on the boards or at the point, 99% of our shots seem to come from low percentage areas with little traffic in front. They look pedestrian and out of ideas.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's ridiculous to focus on the netminder that gave up two goals, to pull him was daft. It's obvious our offense sucks at present, we cant buy a goal. We control a lot of possession but it's always on the boards or at the point, 99% of our shots seem to come from low percentage areas with little traffic in front. They look pedestrian and out of ideas.

Which he brings up with taking bad penalties, playing chasing a lead, and poor leadership response to the losses.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Which he brings up with taking bad penalties, playing chasing a lead, and poor leadership response to the losses.

Perhaps, but not emphasized enough. Why not say were not going to win any games without scoring any goals, being shutout 2 of 5 is perhaps more concerning than a young netminder leaking 2 goals

Isn't it supposed to be a 3-2 league?

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Seeing how flat these guys look, I think it's time switch things up a bit. Something I'd like to see:

???-Kopitar-Toffoli
King-Richards-Carter
Brown-Stoll-Williams
Carcillo-Fraser-Nolan

I don't think Frattin, Clifford, or Lewis really serve much purpose on this roster. My preference would be to bring Pearson up to play LW on the top line, but sadly, they have no room to make that transaction unless they make room for him.

Actually, I would prefer to see them acquire a legit top six option at LW, but who knows if Lombardi is going to be able to pull that off given their cap situation.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Didn't watch the game but why the **** is Robyn Regehr playing? This guy is so bad. Alec Martinez needs to be freed, it's ridiculous how much better we look on D with A-Mart vs Regehr, or even Matt Greene.

zampilot

Jan 1, 2014
a little to the left
Welcome to the party slash dumpster fire :)

and I agree. Total team mentality. Even down to the sucking :laugh:

But this is rock bottom really. Total team failure. It's not like a bunch of stuff is working and we just barely lost; we've been blown up a few times with stupid mistakes and mental lapses. Good thing to rally around, though; instead of going "man, one bounce and we could have won" it's "we're going to have to bust our ***** and create our own luck."

Or, if you're Sutter, "you guys are fine, it's just our goalies suck." :P

I agree tonight was just dreadful and if I was Sutter I sure wouldn't be pumping rainbows up the players corn shoots.

But I remain optimistic because I really feel changes will be made in at least play and possibly roster and the kings will go back to being on top. This isn't rock bottom, the abortion of a roster Edmonton puts together epitomizes that.

As far as sutters post game comments, I don't think what he gives us/the media is the same as behind the locker room doors. I think he enjoys feeding everyone a bunch of nonsense which at times is frustrating, but better than a tortarella meltdown.

KingKopitar11*

OK, I'm starting to lose faith in Sutter. He's making all kinds of questionable line-up decisions, and his blaming things on the goaltending is getting ridiculous. Turns out all those people claiming Sutter pulled Jones to send a message to the team were wrong, Sutter was just being an idiot.

Wow Sutter is a ****ing moron. Some people acted like Sutter made no mistakes. He was fired from Calgary for being an idiot as well. I guess he's gonna be an idiot again.

KingKopitar11*

Didn't watch the game but why the **** is Robyn Regehr playing? This guy is so bad. Alec Martinez needs to be freed, it's ridiculous how much better we look on D with A-Mart vs Regehr, or even Matt Greene.

RR is trash. He gets beat so much.
I feel bad for Amart. I cant believe he hasn't asked for a trade.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I could see it on the first goal. Jones didn't get his body to post, just a skate which they took advantage of.

The second goal was a big rebound..

Scrivens played like crap.

Still doesn't explain the lack of production on offense though. They didn't lose 5-4, 5-3, 5-2, or even 5-1. They lost 5-0. The goalie isn't gonna score a goal.

The 2nd goal didn't even reach the net, it took a bad bounce in front, there was nothing Jones could do.

Why does Sutter continue to blame these games on the goaltending? Why doesn't he call out his underproducing top-6 for a change, or his defense like Regehr, Greene, and Muzzin?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I want this lineup...

King - Kopitar - Williams
Carcillo - Richards - Carter
Frattin - Vey - Toffoli
Nolan - Stoll - Brown

Doughty - Muzzin
Mitchell - Voynov
Greene - Martinez

Jones