Game #42: Kings vs. Blues - 1/2/2013 - Regulation Loss, 5-0

Captain Mittens*

It's a bit eye popping to see so many players struggling all at the same time. Brown and Lewis have been bad all season long, but now you have Williams playing like crap, Regehr and Greene are both crapping the bed, Mitchell has been slowing down. Only one line is sustaining any offensive zone pressure and the rest are only able to dump the puck without the chase, and that's about it. The special teams has been garbage, and we're seeing some questionable decisions being made by Sutter in his treatment of the goaltenders.

I'm wondering if they need some fresh blood that hasn't been tainted yet to be put back in the lineup. As others have pointed out, we have too many redundant players and need more variance in the lineup like a Linden Vey who was able to inject some offensive flair to the bottom six.

At this point, I'd much prefer to have Carcillo in the lineup over Lewis and Clifford. I thought him, Vey and Nolan were doing just fine until the coaching staff elected to sit Carcillo and send Vey down. Lewis is simply too weak to play center. He's better suited as a wing but he's only good for chasing and pressuring and not much else.

If we are to hold players accountable, then Dustin Brown shouldn't be anywhere near the top six, let alone the top nine. He has been one of the worst players on the ice every night since the start of the season.
They need to healthy scratch Brown for one game to send a message .....or if he is still hurt, let him heal

Ron*

Watch us get smoked against Vancouver 6-0 loss and blame it all on someone..

Nothing like home cooking; that's not going to happen.

I'm going to the game, so I certainly hope not. Jones will start and the Kings will get their mojo back, I'm pretty confident of it.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
**** it, I'm gonna look at it like this:

The Kings are 14-6-4 since Quick has went down.....and let's not forget how important Quick has been to this team over the past 3 years, we all felt a little doomed after that Buffalo game. So, how many of you would be jumping for joy if you knew that was the record the Kings would be putting up after that?

Kings were fortunate to get VERY hot playing their backup goaltenders, and now they're very cold. Still a LOT of games to play and it's too hard to assess the future until Quick comes back.

With that said, bring Vey back up, Martinez over Greene and put Carter back with Richards.

You know it's all doom and gloom around here when Axl is the only angelic voice around here.

:laugh:

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
**** it, I'm gonna look at it like this:

The Kings are 14-6-4 since Quick has went down.....and let's not forget how important Quick has been to this team over the past 3 years, we all felt a little doomed after that Buffalo game. So, how many of you would be jumping for joy if you knew that was the record the Kings would be putting up after that?

Kings were fortunate to get VERY hot playing their backup goaltenders, and now they're very cold. Still a LOT of games to play and it's too hard to assess the future until Quick comes back.

With that said, bring Vey back up, Martinez over Greene and put Carter back with Richards.

This^

Is it ****ed up that I kind of enjoyed that?

We needed someone to kick us while we were down a bit, we've played so well through the first half of the season that we started to look a bit complacent. The team knew they had to step up when Quick went down but that novelty wore off.

We're in a rut, we got our ass kicked, now lets see how the team responds.

Sprinkled with this

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Personally, I think this team needs to sit Brown for a game. Send a message. He's been that bad. You can't have your Captain just going through the motions for this long. As evident two seasons ago, a team feeds on that.

If we are to hold players accountable, then Dustin Brown shouldn't be anywhere near the top six, let alone the top nine. He has been one of the worst players on the ice every night since the start of the season.

They need to healthy scratch Brown for one game to send a message .....or if he is still hurt, let him heal

It's not Sutter's fault that Brown and Richards have not played well as of late.

Doesn't mean anything , what is killing the Kings is Dustin Brown , and Mike Richards playing like they should be healthy Scratches. Unless those guys pick it up....The Kings are fu%#$ed.

The person who is absolutely KILLING this team is Dustin Brown. Kopi and Williams work great together, Richards and Carter work great together, and King has worked on just about every line he has been put on this year. That's five out of six slots of a damn good top six. Then there is Dustin Brown, who is doing his best Trevor Lewis impersonation this season, and killing every line he is on. This team is already very weak on the left side, but when Brown is "playing" the way he is it severely limits our ability to roll scoring lines. We are basically icing the equivalent of King, Lewis A, Lewis B, and Lewis C on the left side

dustin-brown-is-struggling-in-the-stanley-cup-finals-and-the-devils-are-wearing-him-down.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Seriously, what the hell happened to this player?

We don't even see a smidgen of that abrasive style of play from him.

It's sad, to be sure, but I'm still going to say knee injury. It's no excuse and it's dumb that the staff won't sit him or that he won't sit himself to heal but it is what it is. He looks SLIGHTLY better lately, but that's not saying much. We need the 2012 model back.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Paul @KingsFanDaily
Pretty incredible atmosphere here this morning at practice. If I didn't know better I would swear they are on a five game *winning* streak.

Seems like they are keeping things positive....

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's sad, to be sure, but I'm still going to say knee injury. It's no excuse and it's dumb that the staff won't sit him or that he won't sit himself to heal but it is what it is. He looks SLIGHTLY better lately, but that's not saying much. We need the 2012 model back.

I thought there might be some physical thing wrong with him this year too, but why would the Olympic committee put him on a team where he'll be skating on a much bigger ice surface and having to play against the very best players in the world. Given how he's been struggling, isn't that a bit risky?

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
For those of you fans who are off the bandwagon again, much as you were at the beginning of the season, go **** yourselves and root for the Ducks or Sharks. I am tired of reading your ****.

For those of you who are serious like me and know this team will be there in the end; well, we were never bandwaggoners to be begin with. So join me in kicking the naysayers off.

Thank you all for reading.

Hahah, Ron you're the best. Totally agreed.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Paul @KingsFanDaily
Pretty incredible atmosphere here this morning at practice. If I didn't know better I would swear they are on a five game *winning* streak.

Probably isn't a bad thing, they know what's up. Obviously no one is giving anyone a pass, but there is no need to rub noses into it though. I'm sure everyone is on alert and it is best to keep everyone relaxed and prevent players from playing too tentatively or scared. Like Drew said, they need to play with confidence and have to eliminate fear out of their game. They can't tense up, and need to play to win with swagger and not play to not lose.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Seriously, what the hell happened to this player?

We don't even see a smidgen of that abrasive style of play from him.

To me, Brown hasn't been the same since that elbow on Pominville that he got suspended for. That was his first suspension for any sort of physical play. I have no proof or anything, since I'm not in his head, but I think it's played with him mentally. Plus maybe he feels a need to live up to the big new contract. Plus he's been banged up with the knee, which if it's an issue, isn't going to allow him to hit or skate through opponents. He's going to be mostly arms and hands, and Brown isn't blessed with the best arms and hands in the league.

This is why I'd rather not see him on the Olympic team. Take those couple weeks and get away from everything and rest. Or, maybe it kicks him into a different gear. I don't know. It might just be a lost year for the guy. Have to wait and see.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Brown has been known to allow things to impact him mentally. I think it is a combination of injury, playing through some stuff, and letting things get to his head. He's trying too hard out there and making all the wrong plays. He's thinking about things too much and has deviated away from what made him successful. He's definitely lost and at times seems clueless like he doesn't know what to do. I think he needs some time off, a good amount of rehab to get him back up to speed and conditioned, and some time and conversation with the staff to get his head straight. Unfortunately, we can't take him out of the lineup and he is likely to be tweaked even more coming home from the Olympic break. Hopefully he can rebound in the offseason, otherwise we are going to have a significant problem on our hands.

Unfortunately for us, two of our most needed players, who have been struggling with injuries and small aspects of the mental game are going to be put on the big stage and given two of the most important roles possible on Team USA. Quick and Brown are in for a rough year. If Team USA fails against some pretty gargantuan teams, the crosshairs are going to fall on captain Brown and starter Quick, and we'll be left to pick up the pieces.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At least some positive news:
https://twitter.com/frozenroyalty/status/419197866465169408

Hopefully he starts on Saturday, Quick seems to always play well against the Canucks.

I hope so too, but I'm so, so nervous for him. Not his abilities, his health.

I thought there might be some physical thing wrong with him this year too, but why would the Olympic committee put him on a team where he'll be skating on a much bigger ice surface and having to play against the very best players in the world. Given how he's been struggling, isn't that a bit risky?

Totally risky. I'm assuming that THEYRE assuming he's fully healthy, but who knows, maybe he needs an injury replacement? I sure didn't plan on Brown playing like a lobotomy patient more than two-three weeks into the season. Maybe the knee is worse than expected, or isn't recovering properly, but this is all speculation, as the problem also appears to be between the ears.

I heard a sweet little detail on Steen from Panger before the game, how he just keeps himself in elite shape and so when he's not scoring, he knows at the very least he's contributing in other ways (outskating people, etc.). From my limited experience at high levels, it's a confidence shaker when you tire quicker than others, when people can catch you, when you can't get to where you want when you want. I dunno. It's all just speculation on my part but it seems like all that stuff rolled into a ball is really wreacking havoc on the guy.

Paul @KingsFanDaily

Well, that works, imo. This isn't really a sulking group, even when they're intense.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brown has been known to allow things to impact him mentally. I think it is a combination of injury, playing through some stuff, and letting things get to his head. He's trying too hard out there and making all the wrong plays. He's thinking about things too much and has deviated away from what made him successful. He's definitely lost and at times seems clueless like he doesn't know what to do. I think he needs some time off, good rehab to get him back up to speed and conditioned, and some time and conversation with the staff to get his head straight. Unfortunately, we can't take him out of the lineup and he is likely to be tweaked even more coming home from the Olympic break. Hopefully he can rebound in the offseason, otherwise we are going to have a significant problem on our hands.

Unfortunately for us, two of our most needed players, who have been struggling with injuries and small aspects of the mental game are going to be put on the big stage and given two of the most important roles possible on Team USA. Quick and Brown are in for a rough year.

Lol, seriously. The perfect ingredients for an HF meltdown :laugh:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
https://twitter.com/lakingsinsider/status/419196657301848064

Because they've been having so much success with the current lineup over the last 5 games...

Sometimes sticking through with something during hard times pays off. Sometimes change is good. Sometimes change is just change for the sake of change and does nothing. You never know what will happen because of a choice you make until after.

Let the coaches do what they get paid to do, which is make these decisions. You won't get fired if it doesn't work.

That's where the angst comes into it for fans. We care about everything that happens, but have absolutely no say in how it happens. That's part of the reason why being a fan is a fairly ridiculous thing. We cheer for strangers, get emotional about a corporate logo, and all we can hang onto is hope.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Probably isn't a bad thing, they know what's up. Obviously no one is giving anyone a pass, but there is no need to rub noses into it though. I'm sure everyone is on alert and it is best to keep everyone relaxed and prevent players from playing too tentatively or scared. Like Drew said, they need to play with confidence and have to eliminate fear out of their game. They can't tense up, and need to play to win with swagger and not play to not lose.

I agree...I know some fans call for the 'bag and skate' but I never saw the merit of that and saw first hand (as was reported on post season by one of the best reporters) how is damaged the Flyers in 2011 ni March when they were fighting for a playoff spot. They were on a multiple game losing skid and got embarrassed badly on a Sunday NBC game by the Rangers. Lavvy was spitting nails post game. For the next 3 straight days, Lavvy had them doing 2 hour bag and skates and they never recovered, as the reporter (C. Gormley, Burlington County Times ) noted post season, that last day, a Wens post practice, he said the light went out of their eyes and never came back. Lavvy let his temper get the best of him and said so later, that he 'crossed the line' but it was too late.

So maybe being beaten like that and having their goalie yanked and time to reflect on that on the way home helped a bit . They hopefully refocus and keep it simple. Cut down on the penalties, don't try to hard and end up making a mistake. Maybe being home, they'll pklay looser and that will help.

It doesn't have to be pretty but they really need the 2 points vs the Canucks. And Dewey was right about the confidence. Unfortunately, that is an effect of a losing streak, that's hard to cure on one step. But a win, will get the wind back in their sails.
And maybe Quick coming back in the next week (hopefully) Will charge them up too.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Lol, seriously. The perfect ingredients for an HF meltdown :laugh:

It's unfortunate. It's the perfect storm for us given the criticism Quick and Brown have received lately and now they are vaulted to likely captain and starter for Team USA. I know a lot of us are rooting for them, but looking at the competition, while they have a chance, it is going to be a very very uphill battle. The odds are stacked against them and they are entering the tournament with a noose around their necks.

This might as well be our own little 1980 Lake Placid event. USA's defense is decent, but they are likely not going to be able to protect Quick from Canada and the like. Either he is on fire or else he'll be fired.

Brown needs to re-invent himself for this tournament. If he plays like he is now, things are going to be disastrous for him, even when playing minimal time on the fourth line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad