GDT: Game 41: Columbus at Tampa Bay | 1/13 8PM

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
& my 50 gives us that much more.. I have always loved great goaltending from Tony Esposito to Dryden, Hasek and Roy..

but Bob reminds me of Marty

Talking my language there.....for a stretch, Hasek may have been the hottest goalie I have ever seen. St. Patrick was one of my all time favs. Dryden too. Add Glenn Hall to my list for being the greatest iron man ever in the net...Fair comparison on Bob.

Goaltending is so important during the season (We are seeing that). It's everything in the playoffs. We will need a Vezina Bob.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's going to suck to lose either Bill or Josh - I think we need to look at other alternatives - like given draft picks. Wild Bill just turned 24 and he is such a great team player - I heard him interviewed after he got the goal on the 2nd PP unit and he said that he has been working hard to make Torts give him time. That is how you raise the level of play on an entire team. Work towards getting more minutes. Love the kid, he has a nose for the puck, and for the net

There is no way this team doesn't protect Anderson -- it's rare to find that combination of size, speed, scoring touch, and toughness. He's a perfect fit for this team who will only get better. I protect him over Jenner without question.

Lots of time and maneuvering to come before the expansion draft but I think this team finds a way to keep both Anderson and Karlsson.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anderson was excited we won and he's an energetic fella. Nutivaara was next to him and he's slightly less energetic but still happy we won. So, Josh playfully pushed on him to celebrate the win and Markus sort of pushed back. At least that's what I saw.

Those two were kidding around. After a goal, Anderson and Nutivaara were on the bench together during the celebration, and Andy went to touch gloves with the other guy next to him. But Nuti kept batting his hand down.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Karlsson just replaced Boone on the PP, and you know he's a better defensive forward, and plays more of a position of need for us. People still think we'd let Karlsson go to protect Jenner?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Karlsson just replaced Boone on the PP, and you know he's a better defensive forward, and plays more of a position of need for us. People still think we'd let Karlsson go to protect Jenner?

Funny the difference a year can make but I agree and believe that both Anderson and Karlsson are above Jenner on the expose list.

That said Jenner won't be lost for nothing but I'l leave that topic for the expansion draft thread.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

I do not know about people in general but to base such decisions on a track record of one full season under Tortorella is far more short-sighted than even the usual input. To trade away the better individual, in low tide, because of 'need' does not actually fit the idea of competing for the Stanley Cup for years on as that was Jorma Kekäläinen's recently updated vision.

Ask Foligno to lead the team and give back his NMC. He and Calvert are the forwards who do not register in the success as they could be replaced very soon.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I do not know about people in general but to base such decisions on a track record of one full season under Tortorella is far more short-sighted than even the usual input. To trade away the better individual, in low tide, because of 'need' does not actually fit the idea of competing for the Stanley Cup for years on as that was Jorma Kekäläinen's recently updated vision.

Ask Foligno to lead the team and give back his NMC. He and Calvert are the forwards who do not register in the success as they could be replaced very soon.

Take Foligno and Calvert away from this team, I'd love to see how much we would fall. Hell, not to feed into the "small sample size" nauseating expected response from you but Columbus severely missed Calvert in Carolina.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'd also protect Karlsson over Jenner, but unless one of Hartnell/Dubinsky waives, one of them will be exposed assuming Anderson is protected. Losing either one would suck, but PLD should be ready to take over a roster spot next year (whether that is at wing or center).

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Uh, you don't watch the games, do you?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Uh, you don't watch the games, do you?

I watched 26 minutes of the Wild game. Enough to see the real player which is of course a matter of longue duree. It was the first time I saw Nutivaara play for example so I would estimate understanding contains more than just gazing.

A man who by your description is no good is the world to this organization, in talent alone. I of course appreciate Karlsson's contribution but he could be salvaged. Jenner not.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I watched 26 minutes of the Wild game. Enough to see the real player which is of course a matter of longue duree.

Literally 5-6 posts above this you warn of making decisions based on small sample size.

I do not know about people in general but to base such decisions on a track record of one full season under Tortorella is far more short-sighted than even the usual input.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

You are right about some things (nutivaara) and dead wrong about others (this one). Most of it we don't understand. Usually it's the latter. :laugh:

I questioned his leadership last year as much as anyone. He's made a 100% believer out of me, plus he's putting up strong numbers again. Absolutely delivering and deserving of his $5.5m and nmc.

Calvert is a glue guy. Love him to death, but we'd survive without him. I know I've been beating this to death, but Anderson needs protected. Period. I think most would now agree where it was almost a given he'd be left unprotected when he was still unproven. You don't leave a guy exposed at his age and with his skill set.

Wild Bill I think jarmo is going to try and do something creative to not lose a young member of the core. Yes, I consider him a part of that. JK knows what's at stake and in a recent interview on the inside edge he mentioned having lots of options in ways to be creative when it comes to the expansion draft. I'm not worried about it now... closer to the date, yes but not now.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Literally 5-6 posts above this you warn of making decisions based on small sample size.

Yes, the player is a matter of far more seasoning or reasoning than 26 minutes or a season or two. Seek what is at the heart of the play to understand.

Foligno has done his part alright but I believe that contribution could be filled in a cap space world as Fog's skillset does not uplift the team. You do not have to be much of a musketeer to find success besides the likes of Wennberg and Saad. If you meet him go ahead and suggest waiving his NMC as an example for the team to follow.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Talking my language there.....for a stretch, Hasek may have been the hottest goalie I have ever seen. St. Patrick was one of my all time favs. Dryden too. Add Glenn Hall to my list for being the greatest iron man ever in the net...Fair comparison on Bob.

Goaltending is so important during the season (We are seeing that). It's everything in the playoffs. We will need a Vezina Bob.

Porty on Jackets half-season MVP:

" Bobrovsky

This is not the clear decision it’s been in year’s past, because there are a handful of candidates. But goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky is the pick. He’s having a Vezina-type season, if Minnnesota’s Devan Dubnyk would ever come back down to Earth. The Blue Jackets’ franchise record for wins in a season is 33 by Steve Mason in 2008-09. Bob has 26 at the break, along with a .931 save percentage and a 2.00 goals-against average."

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Yes, the player is a matter of far more seasoning or reasoning than 26 minutes or a season or two. Seek what is at the heart of the play to understand.

Foligno has done his part alright but I believe that contribution could be filled in a cap space world as Fog's skillset does not uplift the team. You do not have to be much of a musketeer to find success besides the likes of Wennberg and Saad. If you meet him go ahead and suggest waiving his NMC as an example for the team to follow.

You predicted Nutivarra's success so I will probably give you a long leash this year but I don't think insulting Foligno is the right thing to do for team chemistry now or ever.

From what I have heard or read the FO philosophy on players is to draft good character, size and grit. They talk about that repeatedly, refer to it in the video of the draft room prior to picking PLD over Pulijarvi. Foligno is FO vision of a Blue Jacket. I get your reasoning about wanting a skilled winger on the line with
Saad Wennberg... and may be why Torts moved Cam Atkinson up to that 1st line. I get that - but when the reference is Las Vegas expansion - its what player are you going to keep unprotected for the start of this new team. The league gets the fee and each team a portion of that but it is still losing a piece of the team that you likely don't want to lose.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I have decided I don't know what you are talking about because if that's not the case then you don't know what you're talking about.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I have decided I don't know what you are talking about because if that's not the case then you don't know what you're talking about.

Personally, for someone who speaks different languages, I would never attempt to sound posh before I could put together a simple coherent thought.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
From what I have heard or read the FO philosophy on players is to draft good character, size and grit. They talk about that repeatedly, refer to it in the video of the draft room prior to picking PLD over Pulijarvi. Foligno is FO vision of a Blue Jacket..

I do not think Foligno exactly fits the bill as in talent inside the play when it comes to Blue Jackets scouting efforts. For 5.5 million dollars a season you would prefer to get a lot of that talent. Of course for marketing and contract reasons he is not going anywhere but would not hurt to ask. Jenner and Dubinsky have more of the good stuff in them, than Foligno, I believe. It ain't like Foggy is dragging the team down either but there is better individual value even in this team.

Personally I think the loss of Karlsson, Korpisalo or Johnson could be absorbed. Foligno and Calvert would be good riddance in any aspiration to make the team better given that there is always the alternative reality to keep in mind.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You can't seek what's at the heart of the play if you've only seen them play 26 minutes. It makes you blatantly unqualified to know what's going on.

You don't even have a statistical basis for any of this, just hilarious metaphors. That "frogger" is the leagues top per minute powerplay scorer over the last three years. You can't tell me that's Saad and Wennberg's doing.

If you want to scout the Liiga for us, you're welcome too. I'm presuming that's a league you actually watch.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I do not think Foligno exactly fits the bill as in talent inside the play when it comes to Blue Jackets scouting efforts. For 5.5 million dollars a season you would prefer to get a lot of that talent. Of course for marketing and contract reasons he is not going anywhere but would not hurt to ask. Jenner and Dubinsky have more of the good stuff in them, than Foligno, I believe. It ain't like Foggy is dragging the team down either but there is better individual value even in this team.

Personally I think the loss of Karlsson, Korpisalo or Johnson could be absorbed. Foligno and Calvert would be good riddance in any aspiration to make the team better given that there is always the alternative reality to keep in mind.

If you were searching for a way to out yourself as a total fraud. ... I think you've found it.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I can't believe that someone prefers Saad who takes off for 4-5 games at a time to the consistent hard play of Foligno. Sometimes, Character counts. And that would certainly be true of Foligno over Saad, (Not saying Saad has "bad character", he does not. But Saad does seem to take games off somewhat frequently. This year Nick has been there every nite.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
You don't even have a statistical basis for any of this, just hilarious metaphors. That "frogger" is the leagues top per minute powerplay scorer over the last three years. You can't tell me that's Saad and Wennberg's doing.

If you want to scout the Liiga for us, you're welcome too. I'm presuming that's a league you actually watch.

As I said, I haven't watched SM-liiga more than perhaps five games (one of them was a Juuse Saros shutout), all live, since its heydays so it ain't like Nutivaara's potential was discovered by exquisite watching of the tape as I really saw him play for the first time ever, anywhere in the game against Minnesota. That one is dedicated to the Eurasian ice hockey pyramid which I guess testifies on the importance of keeping an open mind in matters of ball sports over building with bricks made of one truth alone. I believe in discovering something new. It is exciting.

I doubt statistics work that way, even if they would work for Foligno. Of course it take something to stay in the Blue Jackets powerplay unit but that has to be one of the most grateful spots in the whole league. No disrespect to Frenchie or the others but the recent three years haven't exactly established the Blue Jackets as contender, until fairly recently. Good if Foligno has some use but it does make him or Columbus great.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The captain is clutch. Witness his OT winner the other night.

Interesting about last night, the new lines were underperforming, but when things got switched back the team came alive.

Big believer in Korpisalo, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad