Game #40: Kings vs. Blackhawks - 12/30/13 - Regulation Loss, 1-0 Chi-Town Strokefest

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I have to respectfully disagree with TG. Kings need a top 6 left wing, a 25-30 goal type guy to compete with Chicago. Replacing the garbage like Lewis and Clifford with Pearson will help, but they need a lot of help, I'm not sure Pearson can provide that.

Counting on Brown to play top 6 right now is risky, he has been off all year. And Richards and Toffoli are clearly not good enough to carry a lesser player, they need someone who can be an equal or even better on the left wing.

King-Kopitar-Carter is the only line I have confidence in.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I don't care what prospects they give up or draft picks, as long as its a guy who will be here for a few years. They can waive the players listed for all I care. This team needs to improve now while the window is open.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You're blaming that loss on a need for an elite left winger? I'm blaming that on a need for this current team to grow a pair and beat a team that has allowed the 14th most goals against in the NHL. No reason to come up with a goose egg when the Kings have the offensive talent they have. None, whatsoever. That was as close to the utmost pathetic display of an offensive attack, outside the last game against the Flames, that I have seen from the Kings this season.

There isn't as much talent as you think. Keith slows down the big line and the Kings have very little with the way Brown and Richards are playing.

When you have insanely inconsistent players like Brown and Richards it gives you even more reason to add another scorer to support the roster when those two decide to go MIA.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I have to respectfully disagree with TG. Kings need a top 6 left wing, a 25-30 goal type guy to compete with Chicago. Replacing the garbage like Lewis and Clifford with Pearson will help, but they need a lot of help, I'm not sure Pearson can provide that.

Counting on Brown to play top 6 right now is risky, he has been off all year. And Richards and Toffoli are clearly not good enough to carry a lesser player, they need someone who can be an equal or even better on the left wing.

King-Kopitar-Carter is the only line I have confidence in.

I am not saying I disagree but Brown is our Captain and has been exactly the guy we are looking for up until this season where he was moved all over the place and at the mid way mark could still hit the 20 to 25 goal mark if he catches on again. Either way he is going to get his.

But, I will qualify that if Brown is the LW on the 3rd line with TT the RW I could live with that and would agree that then we would need another second line LW and Pearson shouldn't be relied on to lift and carry that load into the playoffs just yet.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I think its more like move two of lewis frattin fraser bring up person vey Down goes jones activate Quick call it a day. I think adding the skill of vey and pearson is all this team needs.

Imo Pearson is not ready. Vey is a no brainer. As I said in the other thread, I hope this losing streak continues and forces their hand.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Imo Pearson is not ready. Vey is a no brainer. As I said in the other thread, I hope this losing streak continues and forces their hand.

The Kings will not make the playoffs if they dig themsleves a hole.. don't wish for losses.

The Pacific is not a division you can afford losing streaks in

Also lose too much and your staring at Chicago round two

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
tg in your opinion would/ is Tanner Pearson ready to play that 3rd line left wing spot? I have not seen him play in Mancheaster enuff of late to say that he could? I do however think before we go out and trade for one we should try him first? Any comment you could give would be important for my knowledge.

No, not yet. TP is an excellent young LW but in our system he has to learn to be capable of switching from O to D instantly and he is still a bit behind on his change ups. That said who knows how much further along he will be by the end of the season. He is right on the edge of being capable so he might be there for the playoff push.

That said I think that we should try Sabourin or Andy Andy first or even maybe Nics and let TP stay where he is while they get their try outs.

I would do all of those things (though i would defer to Morris opinion on where those kids stand first) before we bring TP back up. He could and should be the guy but he might need a little more seasoning before we pull him out.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I like to think that I'm pretty patient, but I wouldn't mind the bolded.

I have feeling like this and can't get myself to root for a loss, but nothing is going to change especially when the coach is happy with the way they played.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
The Kings will not make the playoffs if they dig themsleves a hole.. don't wish for losses.

The Pacific is not a division you can afford losing streaks in

Does it matter? This current lineup won't be doing much of anything unless quick stands on hip head again.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Does it matter? This current lineup won't be doing much of anything unless quick stands on hip head again.

Kings will only have a problem with Chicago, so yes it does matter. Kings need a high seed so they avoid Chicago till the WCF. Hopefully someone takes Chicago out in round one or two.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
You're blaming that loss on a need for an elite left winger? I'm blaming that on a need for this current team to grow a pair and beat a team that has allowed the 14th most goals against in the NHL. No reason to come up with a goose egg when the Kings have the offensive talent they have. None, whatsoever. That was as close to the utmost pathetic display of an offensive attack, outside the last game against the Flames, that I have seen from the Kings this season.

I never said I blamed this loss on that. I was simply stating our offense looked like total **** today and a top six left winger would go a long ways in making it better.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
No, not yet. TP is an excellent young LW but in our system he has to learn to be capable of switching from O to D instantly and he is still a bit behind on his change ups. That said who knows how much further along he will be by the end of the season. He is right on the edge of being capable so he might be there for the playoff push.

That said I think that we should try Sabourin or Andy Andy first or even maybe Nics and let TP stay where he is while they get their try outs.

I would do all of those things (though i would defer to Morris opinion on where those kids stand first) before we bring TP back up. He could and should be the guy but he might need a little more seasoning before we pull him out.

Well thank you for the info as always much apprecaited. I think we should try something in house before tradeing people but then again its all speculation at this point on what will happen. I honestly don't think we should go outside without trying our own players is all.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Well thank you for the info as always much apprecaited. I think we should try something in house before tradeing people but then again its all speculation at this point on what will happen. I honestly don't think we should go outside without trying our own players is all.

I agree and hope that we are right.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Kings will only have a problem with Chicago, so yes it does matter.

This goes back to the playoffs last year against the sharks and blues as well. Quick won those series. Not sure how you don't think they are only going to have to worry about Chicago.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This goes back to the playoffs last year against the sharks and blues as well. Quick won those series. Not sure how you don't think they are only going to have to worry about Chicago.

They won those series as a team , this Kings team even with the last three losses is on a franchise record pace for points....... Get some proper prospective,

The Kings don't fear the Blues or the Sharks or ANH , and they shouldnt .

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Lets trade Colin Fraser, Matt Frattin, Jarret Stoll and Dwight King

for..

Milan Lucic and David Krejci.

I think it would be fair beacuse Boston gets four players and we only get two. :sarcasm:

Lucic-Kopitar-Williams
Brown-Richards-Carter
Vey-Krejci-Toffoli
Clifford-Lewis-Nolan

Winger23

May 3, 2007
They won those series as a team , this Kings team even with the last three losses is on a franchise record pace for points....... Get some proper prospective,

So you are saying the kings were not outplayed in the first two rounds? We must have watched different series.

Do the kings have a better shot against the blues or sharks? Of course. Your crazy to think the kings will just cruise by them.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
For thoses of you trying to blame Lewis and Clifford for the loss I offer you a few facts imo as to why we lost that have absolutely nothing to due with either of them. We were 0 3 on the pp both don't see a second of pp time. The Kings were also 27faceoffs wins 41faceoff losses Browns missed ps. Clifford played 8 mins 58 secs Lewis 11 mins 3 secs not exactly alot of ice time for either.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
For thoses of you trying to blame Lewis and Clifford for the loss I offer you a few facts imo as to why we lost that have absolutely nothing to due with either of them. We were 0 3 on the pp both don't see a second of pp time. The Kings were also 27faceoffs wins 41faceoff losses Browns missed ps. Clifford played 8 mins 58 secs Lewis 11 mins 3 secs not exactly alot of ice time for either.

Chicagos big guns didn't do anything either. It came down to depth and where the kings have scrubs they have guys that can actually score.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
So you are saying the kings were not outplayed in the first two rounds? We must have watched different series.

Do the kings have a better shot against the blues or sharks? Of course. Your crazy to think the kings will just cruise by them.

The blues out played the Kings for exactly two games then promptly loss four straight with brown and kopitar as no shows ......that is not exactly a ringing endorsement for the blues .

The Sharks couldn't beat the Kings at home , and still can't......with brown and kopitar absent from that series as well..... Justin Williams buried the Sharks ......so that's not a ringing endorsement for the Sharks either.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

It's not fearing them, it's recognizing the talent they have and the fact both of those teams outplayed the Kings in the playoffs. Blues had them down 2-0 and the Kings barely won game 3 , 1-0,. They lose that game, the series would have been over. You can't expect to win many playoff series when you are only averaging 2 goals per game or less.
And the path might be different this year, depending on where they finish. They need to upgrade the top 6 as to match what the opposition brings.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's not fearing them, it's recognizing the talent they have and the fact both of those teams outplayed the Kings in the playoffs. Blues had them down 2-0 and the Kings barely won game 3 , 1-0,. They lose that game, the series would have been over. You can't expect to win many playoff series when you are only averaging 2 goals per game or less.
And the path might be different this year, depending on where they finish. They need to upgrade the top 6 as to match what the opposition brings.

Of course they need a top six upgrade , they have for six years now......The Kings don't need to go on a lengthy losing streak for managment to see that . I am sure they are aware.

Folks don't need to wish the Kings dig themselves a hole for management to make a panic move, if it gets to that , the season is probably over.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00