Post-Game Talk: Game #4: Red Wings @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
'sup peeps --

What kind of charts do you find useful after games?

Right now, we've got:

Shot attempts for and against scatter plot
Relative shot attempt %
Faceoff breakdown

What else?

I think I can probably add a shot location chart, but that'll take some work that maybe I can get done tomorrow.

Is there anything else anyone would think is useful to have?
I think matchups are by far the most interesting. Shot attempt location would be interesting too, ESPN does live shot charts but they're only the ones on goal. MBM does matchups after games but they're a little hard on the eyes lol

matchups-2016-10-19-2016020049-DETatNYR.png

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think matchups are by far the most interesting. Shot attempt location would be interesting too, ESPN does live shot charts but they're only the ones on goal.

Yeah, I'll likely try to add a shot chart tomorrow. See if my skills allow it :P

For matchups, for sure, that is still above me right now. I'd definitely recommend checking out this site: http://crowdscoutsports.com/h2hshotmatrix.php and following Cole on Twitter. He's doing some really interesting stuff and has been very helpful to me with a lot of coding.

Example from last night's game (this is going to drive Revel insane :( )

2owid4B.png

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Agreed, Rangers gave Lundqvist that contract based on how he would perform tonight.

In what world would I be saying that they did?

I'm talking to someone so delusional that they jump through hoops and cherry pick stats in order to blindly defend a player who, while he catches too much flak from certain people with agenda's, also makes a fair share of mistakes that deserve to be criticized.

So when faced with someone blindly, annoyingly creating narratives out of anything in a desperate attempt to absolve blame, I pointed out that he failed tonight.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Is there anything similar to what WOI used to have with players match-ups with and against? That **** was amazing. I like McCurdy's charts, but they're much more difficult to read, and I don't think they're interactive (?).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, I'll likely try to add a shot chart tomorrow. See if my skills allow it :P

For matchups, for sure, that is still above me right now. I'd definitely recommend checking out this site: http://crowdscoutsports.com/h2hshotmatrix.php and following Cole on Twitter. He's doing some really interesting stuff and has been very helpful to me with a lot of coding.

Example from last night's game (this is going to drive Revel insane :( )

2owid4B.png

Is there anything similar to what WOI used to have with players match-ups with and against? That **** was amazing. I like McCurdy's charts, but they're much more difficult to read, and I don't think they're interactive (?).
This one Silverfish posted maybe?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
According to Valiquette, Lundqvist allowed 2G/4 SOG last season due to poor puck-handling mistakes. Through the 65 games that he was in net.

So...very very very small amount.

Let's move on and quit arguing about it.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Way to many games like this. The dribbler by killorn to lose game 7 on home ice comes to mind.

Coughing up 2 goal leads to lose repeatedly to the Kings in OT comes to mind

Similar to Familia just don't see lundqvist as a closer. Brodeur Hasek even a Jonathan Quick just shut it down and win.

Hank will let up a garbage one almost like he's nervous to lose and then does. I've never seen him steal a playoff series decisively prob why we had to go 6 or 7 in so many of those series'.

He breaks especially when we're the ones dominating he gets frustrated it seems like.

I know I'll get blasted for this he can do no wrong here. But two losses that should have been wins need a lot more from our most expensive player.

Let's not pretend like if we weren't spending 8.5 mil on goaltending we couldn't have an upgraded blueline. We should be able to have a weaker D overall if we're paying almost 9 mil to a goaltender to be dominant.

Agree with Anthony on above......especially in red. I've been saying this for years. If you're going to pay BIG BUCKS for a goalie and he's supposed to be "a cut above" most, then you should literally be able to "hang him out to dry" and spend your money on OFFENSE with a lesser defense. IMO, that especially includes Offensive defenseman which quarterbacks the offense and getting them OUT of the dzone, (like Yandle) not necessarily the dmen that block shots like yesteryear.

Imagine having Yandle and Strahlman and subtracting Girardi and Staal that have ZERO offensive capabilities. Just, in the words of John Lennon........" imagine".

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
TIL: A hockey game is only played between 2 goalies.

Seriously Hank gives us our best chance to win day-in-day-out and the other chuckle****s on the ice cant put more than one past their goalie. I see this after every low scoring game that the Rangers lose by 1.

Rangers lose 1-0? Hanks fault for letting in 1 goal. Not everyone else for scoring none. All Hank. :sarcasm:

That's the bottom line, Its kind of frustrating reading the same ole' Monday morning quarterback stuff. Woulda coulda' shoulda'. But yeah, Hank needs to stay in the net.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I hope we can get a new thread up against Caps - and turn pages and looking forward to next game.
I feel we are done with this topic. :)

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
According to Valiquette, Lundqvist allowed 2G/4 SOG last season due to poor puck-handling mistakes. Through the 65 games that he was in net.

So...very very very small amount.

Let's move on and quit arguing about it.

This was part of my rant earlier in this thread, it happens but not enough to really go crazy over.

And I still contend that if Holden were right handed it would not have happened. He would have been slowing up Glendening with his stick or at least had a better chance to battle for that puck with his stick instead of getting shielded out.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This was part of my rant earlier in this thread, it happens but not enough to really go crazy over.

And I still contend that if Holden were right handed it would not have happened. He would have been slowing up Glendening with his stick or at least had a better chance to battle for that puck with his stick instead of getting shielded out.

Funny thing. I didn't watch the game vs. Detroit. I had NHL radio on yesterday morning as I went to go purchase some cold medicine. I hear the play by play replay of Drew Millers goal. But, not gonna lie, was really confused for a second. Not only was I (still am) sick as ****, but the way the PBP guy for Detroit was calling the play, GLENdening sounded exactly like CLENdenning.

So when I hear CLENdenning passes to Miller and Miller scores, an immediate fog of confusion surrounded me as I swore that Zibanejad scored the only goal, not JT Miller and that the Rangers lost 2-1. Then I wondered if perhaps my fever had me hallucinating or did I look at the score incorrectly and we won 2-1.

It wasn't until I was about to pull into my driveway that I realized the Wings have Glendenning as well as Drew Miller. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce