Post-Game Talk: Game #4: Red Wings @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Oh yeah. Watch what Kreider does this season . I said it here first. Chris Kreider will be a Hart candidate this year
I really hope that you are right, but in the excitement of him and others playing well, people tend to just forget history..

Chris Kreider is the biggest poster boy for inconsistency. Has been his entire career. He has every physical tool a hockey player might desire, he has just been unable to bring it on a daily basis.

Mika is much the same is my understanding (spurts of brilliance, then a tendency to fade for the next 5 games). That is the gist i've been getting from reading articles about him anyway :)

If they do manage to find that consistency in playing on the same line, that would be perfect.. it really would. But i feel we should see that happen before betting all our chips on it.

That said, it is difficult not to get caught up in the excitement that they are currently providing :)

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I really hope that you are right, but in the excitement of him and others playing well, people tend to just forget history..

Chris Kreider is the biggest poster boy for inconsistency. Has been his entire career. He has every physical tool a hockey player might desire, he has just been unable to bring it on a daily basis.

Mika is much the same is my understanding (spurts of brilliance, then a tendency to fade for the next 5 games). That is the gist i've been getting from reading articles about him anyway :)

If they do manage to find that consistency in playing on the same line, that would be perfect.. it really would. But i feel we should see that happen before betting all our chips on it.

That said, it is difficult not to get caught up in the excitement that they are currently providing :)

Are chips really expensive in Norway?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
While we arguably outplayed or at least outhustled based on shots, this game is a good case in point why we must improve further.

Move more vets
add to young core.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
one other thing im noticing a lot.

We have 2 guys who can really fire the puck in Zib and Pirri..but im noticing that when they miss the net, and thats been far more often than not, the pucks are just rimming right outta the zone. they gotta hit the net. a free clear from a missed shot is dumb. OR our defenseman need to do a much better job rotating to keep the pucks in. if youre seeing the one timer set up you need to immediately rotate to the other side to keep that puck in the zone.

You bring up a important point. That was especially important on our 5 on 3 last night. Once the shot rimmed around the boards we lost a large part of that 5 on 3. Its also important off the rush. If 5 guys are skating forward fast and the puck comes flying back the other way often the forwards will get caught up ice.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not convinced that Pirri and Zibanejad on the same unit is the way to go. When we set up in the 1-3-1 teams cheat to the outside because McDonagh has no space to move to with the exception of a couple feet directly at the goaltender, and only two passing options.

Pirri isn't a good enough playmaker to play the side on a 1-3-1, I think he's do better on the point in a traditional PP setup.

Buchnevich
Zib-Kreider-Zuccarello
McDonagh

Nash-Stepan-Vesey
Clendening-Pirri

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
As a Rangers fan that enjoys Avalanche hockey, this is the most unfortunate. In my imaginary world, I've been hoping to one day have Duchene or Landeskog on this team since they were drafted by the Avs. Instead, here I am, trying to figure out how to undo the latest update to my paid calculator app that now only displays basic answers in ridiculous fractions while looking at our terrible defense and the fact that we managed to get Hunwick and Nick Holden from the Avs. Nick Holden. This is a terrible 33/326 situation.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
genesi_dio_crea_astri_450.jpg

Though shall not attempt to stickhandle the ****ing puck...

Rangers win cup.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
thats basically what im seeing as well. rangers go long periods of time without giving up a shot, but when they do give up a shot, boy oh boy its a doozy.

And, it is his job to stop it. When he was drafted, when he was given the $8MM contract, it wasn't with the exception that he would only stop the easy or "medium" shots.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I just don't understand why Hank continues to try and play the puck even if he's ****ing awful at it. Is he not self-aware? Has no one had the heart to tell him?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the pp needs to be these 5 skilled guys

zman buchy pirri zuc and clendo.

thats my pp right there.

2 shooters and our 2 best passers.

plus clendo at the top.

please keep mcd, stepan and nash away from the man up.

rapid puck movement to create space. fire away. pound the front for garbage. simple.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Can we hire a revolutionary coach that plays 4 forwards and 1 defenseman at all times and let's just trade Klein, McIlrath, and Clendening for Fowler, put Girardi on LTIR until the summer and buy him out. Start the next season with 5 RD and play Gilmore as a forward/defenseman and have 13F/5D dressed every night. Play three lines of forwards 20 minutes a night and have McDonagh play RD with Skjei or Staal on PKs.

McDonagh
Fowler
Skjei
Staal

Gilmore

Then trade Staal once his NMC is up and bring up Graves.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
one other thing im noticing a lot.

We have 2 guys who can really fire the puck in Zib and Pirri..but im noticing that when they miss the net, and thats been far more often than not, the pucks are just rimming right outta the zone. they gotta hit the net. a free clear from a missed shot is dumb. OR our defenseman need to do a much better job rotating to keep the pucks in. if youre seeing the one timer set up you need to immediately rotate to the other side to keep that puck in the zone.

This is an excellent take and something I particularly noticed last night.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not convinced that Pirri and Zibanejad on the same unit is the way to go. When we set up in the 1-3-1 teams cheat to the outside because McDonagh has no space to move to with the exception of a couple feet directly at the goaltender, and only two passing options.

Pirri isn't a good enough playmaker to play the side on a 1-3-1, I think he's do better on the point in a traditional PP setup.

Buchnevich
Zib-Kreider-Zuccarello
McDonagh

Nash-Stepan-Vesey
Clendening-Pirri

Was just going to post this though I would use Buch in more typical (for the current Rangers PP) slot between the circles, not behind the net assuming you show Kreider in front of the net.

On the second unit Stepan should be on his normal the left wall as a passer or a "fake" shooter.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
And, it is his job to stop it. When he was drafted, when he was given the $8MM contract, it wasn't with the exception that he would only stop the easy or "medium" shots.

yes. it is his job to stop it. it doesnt take away from the fact that these are very tough shots (with the exception of the game winner)

any goalie will tell you its 10000000% easier to be under siege for the entire game than to go long periods of time only to face a breakaway or point blank chance. you get cold, your mind starts to wander, you lose focus, heck, youre thinking to yourself..how are these guys not scoring...oh crap oh crap here comes John Tavares on a breakaway.

Im not saying it isnt his job to stop those...im trying to explain it. our defense seems to be playign the all or nothing game...they give the opposition nothing, or they give them a point blank chance in front of the net. easy stops to get the goalie in the game are few and far between.

im OBVIOUSLY saying its best to keep the shots against down, but they need to get better in their own zone coverage on sustained plays...this is where man to man defense gets so exposed...guys switching, guys moving from high to low, you either lose track of your guy, youre a step slow and they are wide open, or youre totally out of your comfort zone because of motion.

zone defense is a lot better for sustained play in the defensive zone. marks are easier, sticks are easier ot get, etc.

TurgePurge*

I just don't understand why Hank continues to try and play the puck even if he's ****ing awful at it. Is he not self-aware? Has no one had the heart to tell him?

All goalies eff up handling the puck. If you literally told him not to leave the crease that would be like telling a pitcher not to field any plays. It can't work. Teams would dump it in and abuse us.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
All goalies eff up handling the puck. If you literally told him not to leave the crease that would be like telling a pitcher not to field any plays. It can't work. Teams would dump it in and abuse us.

He doesn't always have to play the puck though. He will sometimes do it even when he's got a defenseman right next to him. And then he just ends up giving it to the other team. He doesn't have the skill to be able to make a pass like goalies who are average to excellent at handling the puck.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
He doesn't always have to play the puck though. He will sometimes do it even when he's got a defenseman right next to him. And then he just ends up giving it to the other team. He doesn't have the skill to be able to make a pass like goalies who are average to excellent at handling the puck.

I would imagine he tries to play the puck so much because it's part of the system. He can get to the puck before the defense usually. He stops it makes a good pass it starts the breakout quicker. Sure he's not good at it, but this wouldn't be the first case of AV forcing something where a guy isn't good at it.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Let's break it down.

As you see in the video, it starts as a routine play for Lundqvist...puck goes around the net, Hank stops the puck and knows his defensemen is there to support the play, so he goes to move it to him. Glendening is coming in at a high rate of speed, and Holden is sitting there watching this happen but does nothing while anticipating the pass.

After that, its too late...Glendening puts the puck where its supposed to be, and Drew Miller goes uncovered to bury it. McDonagh is left on one knee with a futile attempt at trying to block the shot with his stick.

Lundqvist just said on the post-game "I didn't see him coming" and he shouldn't because his back is to the skater to play the puck and his his d man below the goal line should be aware of a forechecker coming in hard trying to break up the play Lundqvist is trying to make.

If people actually tried to rationally break down plays, rather than blindly blaming one person to try and pin a loss on, this place would be much more enjoyable.

I'll break it down another way.

When a goaltender goes behind his net and loses control of the puck, he is the primary reason for the resulting goal.

Some posters go off the deep end if Hank stops 3 shots in a row and the 4th one goes in.

You can never admit when Hank makes an error.

I have already stated many times that I believe when his career is over, that he will be in the conversation for 2nd best goalie I have ever seen, so I have no agenda against him.

What Hank did on that goal is something I have laughed at Halak doing on numerous occasions.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'll break it down another way.

When a goaltender goes behind his net and loses control of the puck, he is the primary reason for the resulting goal.

Some posters go off the deep end if Hank stops 3 shots in a row and the 4th one goes in.

You can never admit when Hank makes an error.

I have already stated many times that I believe when his career is over, that he will be in the conversation for 2nd best goalie I have ever seen, so I have no agenda against him.

What Hank did on that goal is something I have laughed at Halak doing on numerous occasions.

He didn't 'lose control of the puck' Glendening took it from him because he read the play and Holden didn't bother to care to stay with his man.

Evidence is right here. Look where Holden is in the first two images.

Lundqvist said in the post-game that its a set play they practice, D goes behind him to accept the backhanded pass, Holden lets his man get away and is caught sleepwalking, Glendening made a nice play to intercept it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=123386245&postcount=223

This isn't an agenda to protect Henrik, it's objectively breaking down a hockey play with what actually happened.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He didn't 'lose control of the puck' Glendening took it from him because he read the play and Holden didn't bother to care to stay with his man.

Evidence is right here. Look where Holden is in the first two images.

Lundqvist said in the post-game that its a set play they practice, D goes behind him to accept the backhanded pass, Holden lets his man get away and is caught sleepwalking, Glendening made a nice play to intercept it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=123386245&postcount=223

This isn't an agenda to protect Henrik, it's objectively breaking down a hockey play with what actually happened.

Okay.

Hank played that beautifully.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
'sup peeps --

What kind of charts do you find useful after games?

Right now, we've got:

Shot attempts for and against scatter plot
Relative shot attempt %
Faceoff breakdown

What else?

I think I can probably add a shot location chart, but that'll take some work that maybe I can get done tomorrow.

Is there anything else anyone would think is useful to have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad